IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Lets remind ourselves of the qualities he had that made Liverpool want to get him at all costs from Villa.

• Great left foot
  • Disciplined and consistent
  • Great leader
  • Breaks up play well and is tactically astute

Yes, he has no pace - but he never has. For me he puts Osman on the bench, he gives McCarthy and Barkley an experienced mentor.

We are getting a quality midfielder here that many would have missed the trick on. Remember what Gary Mac did for Liverpool.

I think Barry will be the player we wished Neville was in the midfield.

I'm pretty certain this will be an inspired signing for us.

Never seen anything to change my mind on that one. I think even Martinez must read my posts, he mentioned him being a mentor for Ross and James.

I didn't want us to sign Gibson, he proved me wrong. I wasn't too happy about Barry and in one game alone I love the guy.

He put himself on the line for us, the guys not played a competitive game in months and goes and played like that for a full 90 minutes against Chelsea in his debut. He just looks so professional out there, he never stops moving, always in the right place, doesn't need to be quick how he plays the game. Plays at a quick tempo too, was very impressed with his one touch passing too.

Agree with above few comments.

Wasn't that excited when I heard Barry was coming our way, but the game against Chelsea sure made me change my mind fast.

The most intelligent midfielder we've had in a long while, plus the added bonus of being able to get away with some sneaky fouls to slow the game down.

You can't make judgments on the basis of one game alone.

Although, I knew we were getting a decent player when I heard he was coming in, although there were a fair number of detractors. Realized the kid had a good many years experience at different clubs, and had also played at international level. Was only in the recent past, was talked about as being one of the best prospects in the country. Ok he had a very good game at the weekend and recieved man of the match honors, and never disputed his arrival from day one, but let's allow him a little more time to see what he can bring to his game here. Obviously he's not the same caliber of player many will remember, but experience really can go a long way.

You can't make judgments on the basis of one game alone.

Although, I knew we were getting a decent player when I heard he was coming in, although there were a fair number of detractors. Realized the kid had a good many years experience at different clubs, and had also played at international level. Was only in the recent past, was talked about as being one of the best prospects in the country. Ok he had a very good game at the weekend and recieved man of the match honors, and never disputed his arrival from day one, but let's allow him a little more time to see what he can bring to his game here. Obviously he's not the same caliber of player many will remember, but experience really can go a long way.

DK... Watch the game, get a copy of it or whatever and tell me that the performance was the type you see as a one off. You can make judgements off one game alone when you witness a player use the 6 inches between his ears like we haven't seen anyone do since Richard gough or David weir.

The performance wasn't a "bet he can't do that again" - it was the performance of a man who has won things and played at the highest level.

I enjoy your posts. Unfortunately I can't enjoy your ones based on the games or players from the games. Please just watch a game....

Saw most of your game on Saturday and you'll be pleased to hear that was just a typical Barry performance. The block on Eto'o was fantastic. As I said in my first post, on deadline day, he is (was) my favourite City player and I'm glad he's endearing himself to you guys so quickly.

Said before that many were hopeful that Barry could do a job, although there were a significant number that were against the idea of the player coming in. He may of got the man of the match award at the weekend, although how many more instances of that will we see this season ? I'm not saying saturday was a flash in the pan and don't expect regular similarities, but it will be interesting to see how he does over the course of the season, not just one or two select games. Martinez 'manager of the week' is a decent accolade, but is it really saying much incidentally.

Said before that many were hopeful that Barry could do a job, although there were a significant number that were against the idea of the player coming in. He may of got the man of the match award at the weekend, although how many more instances of that will we see this season ? I'm not saying saturday was a flash in the pan and don't expect regular similarities, but it will be interesting to see how he does over the course of the season, not just one or two select games. Martinez 'manager of the week' is a decent accolade, but is it really saying much incidentally.

My guess is that you will see about zero - though I reckon Barry will get about 7-9 MOTM's

I knew Barry was and is going to be a success, cause he has that special Man City magic in him. Now I know things don't always go smoothly between Everton and ManC support, but you got to give it to them, footballwise they're a special bunch. If they had the charisma to perform decently on European level, they'd have been major Barcelona competitors in their title year. Barry was a regular starting lineup player that year, you can't go around it. He was predestined to shine here.

About Fellaini: Fans have had their fair share of frustration over him, with which i only partially agree. I think he's a massive player and one of the best mids in the world. Though, he was a mismatch at EFC to my opinion. Mismatch or not, he still was a major weapon EFC had in their ranks and it payed off so often. He too will be big at Man United where he fits in a lot better.

I knew Barry was and is going to be a success, cause he has that special Man City magic in him. Now I know things don't always go smoothly between Everton and ManC support, but you got to give it to them, footballwise they're a special bunch. If they had the charisma to perform decently on European level, they'd have been major Barcelona competitors in their title year. Barry was a regular starting lineup player that year, you can't go around it. He was predestined to shine here.

About Fellaini: Fans have had their fair share of frustration over him, with which i only partially agree. I think he's a massive player and one of the best mids in the world. Though, he was a mismatch at EFC to my opinion. Mismatch or not, he still was a major weapon EFC had in their ranks and it payed off so often. He too will be big at Man United where he fits in a lot better.

Special Man City money magic ? :blink:

His 20 minutes as a centre forward has certainly validated your point :P.

Yes. 20 minutes is enough. If he couldn't do it, he also couldn't have done it for 20 minutes. ;)

Special Man City money magic ? :blink:

Those are 2 seperate things. The arabian money financed the whole project, but still, what happened on the pitch was te work of the (bought) staff and squad. Bank checks didn't win the title, but Gareth Barry did and that's what I'm trying to say.

Yes. 20 minutes is enough. If he couldn't do it, he also couldn't have done it for 20 minutes. ;)

Those are 2 seperate things. The arabian money financed the whole project, but still, what happened on the pitch was te work of the (bought) staff and squad. Bank checks didn't win the title, but Gareth Barry did and that's what I'm trying to say.

Barry was a fantastic player long before he ever went to City for £12m, so to say he had the "Man City Magic" in him makes difficult reading to most football fans. Man City have paid for everything they have, and developed little themselves. Even Micah Richards started out at Leeds then Oldham before City. City have the magic of money, and nothing else should be credited to them in terms of 'work' from any staff etc.

07-08 £68m

08-09 £140m

09-10 £130m

10-11 £160m

11-12 £83m

12-13 £54m

13-14 £100m

plus the cost of facilities and purchase etc brings it to well over £1bn worth of investment to win a solitary Prem title that returns £15m in prize money for the winner.

:rofl: Priceless!

Thank fuck for broken clocks.

Forgot I had that - only come on by phone now so don't get the bits at the bottom - it's a quote from Withnail and I - probably need to change it though as it clearly doesn't do me justice!!!

Surely you haven't changed your opinion on him yet after one, albeit man of the match/top class, performance?

Barry was a fantastic player long before he ever went to City for £12m, so to say he had the "Man City Magic" in him makes difficult reading to most football fans. Man City have paid for everything they have, and developed little themselves. Even Micah Richards started out at Leeds then Oldham before City. City have the magic of money, and nothing else should be credited to them in terms of 'work' from any staff etc.

07-08 £68m

08-09 £140m

09-10 £130m

10-11 £160m

11-12 £83m

12-13 £54m

13-14 £100m

plus the cost of facilities and purchase etc brings it to well over £1bn worth of investment to win a solitary Prem title that returns £15m in prize money for the winner.

That's all true, but it's besides the question :P

I actually think he was a better fit at Everton. His key attributes - bringing the ball down, arial prescence, helping out players who have been closed down. All suit a David Moyes Everton side who liked to take to hoof option.

If he is well suited to United then I think Moyes will have changed their team into one that has downgraded its playing style.

Fellaini is a talented ground player - no doubt. However I seen a better "grounded" defensive midfield performance from Gareth Barry than I did from Fellaini in a blue shirt the other night.