IGNORED

Gareth Barry

Hi guys, City fan in peace.

I hope this is the right place to post this but just wanted to let you know if the Barry deal does go through, which it looks like it will, you've signed one of my favourite ever City players. He's been instrumental in our development over the past few years and I'm gutted he's gone.

The majority of non-City and Villa fans in England think he's poor because of the England v Germany game at the 2010 World Cup when Mezut Ozil outpaced him and sealed the win for the Germans. However, the fact Capello insisted on taking Barry to South Africa despite the fact he was only half-fit should tell you everything you need to know.

He's never been the fastest player but he makes up for it with intelligence. His positioning and reading of the game are up there with the very best and he's got the stamina, work-rate and strength to ensure he performs exceptionally in the holding midfield role. His passing is good without being spectacular, he'll look to keep possession first and foremost but he always tries to move the ball quickly and give it to the players he knows can cause damage to the opposition. I truly believe he's a fantastic player and whilst his best days are probably behind him he will still be a valuable addition to your side.

I'll end with a quote that a Villa fan posted on the City forum I use shortly after we signed him in 2009:

When you first see Barry play you may wonder what all the fuss is about, but when he's out of the team, you'll know what all the fuss is about.

He's the oil that makes the engine run smoothly and it's worth adding that in the 2011/12 season, the year we won the league, David Silva, amongst others, voted for Gareth Barry as player of the year. I fear he'll be sorely missed and wish him and Everton the best of luck for the rest of the season.

I hate you... just kidding :P.

Hi guys, City fan in peace.

I hope this is the right place to post this but just wanted to let you know if the Barry deal does go through, which it looks like it will, you've signed one of my favourite ever City players. He's been instrumental in our development over the past few years and I'm gutted he's gone.

The majority of non-City and Villa fans in England think he's poor because of the England v Germany game at the 2010 World Cup when Mezut Ozil outpaced him and sealed the win for the Germans. However, the fact Capello insisted on taking Barry to South Africa despite the fact he was only half-fit should tell you everything you need to know.

He's never been the fastest player but he makes up for it with intelligence. His positioning and reading of the game are up there with the very best and he's got the stamina, work-rate and strength to ensure he performs exceptionally in the holding midfield role. His passing is good without being spectacular, he'll look to keep possession first and foremost but he always tries to move the ball quickly and give it to the players he knows can cause damage to the opposition. I truly believe he's a fantastic player and whilst his best days are probably behind him he will still be a valuable addition to your side.

I'll end with a quote that a Villa fan posted on the City forum I use shortly after we signed him in 2009:

When you first see Barry play you may wonder what all the fuss is about, but when he's out of the team, you'll know what all the fuss is about.

He's the oil that makes the engine run smoothly and it's worth adding that in the 2011/12 season, the year we won the league, David Silva, amongst others, voted for Gareth Barry as player of the year. I fear he'll be sorely missed and wish him and Everton the best of luck for the rest of the season.

I like this.

Thank you for your input. Appreciate you taking the time to come over and highlight it because there are a few skeptical fans among the forum. I think that'll change though!

p.s. if you hadn't realised already, Romey is one of those skeptics. ;)

Edited by tenaciousj

Was just about to post that I've been reading some City forums and most of their fans seem to rate him very highly. Many are unhappy that they've let him go.

A bit more excited after reading all that and after your post Visiting Citizen as you'll know him much better than we do. He may be exactly what we need in front of Distin and Jags.

I hope we're gonna play a 4-1-4-1. He'd fit right into that holding midfield role.

GK: Howard, Robles

RB: Coleman, Hibbert

RCB: Jagielka, Stones

LCB: Distin, Alcaraz/Heitinga

LB: Baines, Oviedo

DM: Barry, Gibson/Heitinga

RW: Mirallas, Deulofeu/Naismith

RCM: McCarthy, Gibson

LCM: Barkley, Osman

LW: Pienaar, Deulofeu/Naismith

CF: Lukaku, Koné, Jelavic

Good squad that. 23 men.

Edited by Steve_E

Was just about to post that I've been reading some City forums and most of their fans seem to rate him very highly. Many are unhappy that they've let him go.

A bit more excited after reading all that and after your post Visiting Citizen as you'll know him much better than we do. He may be exactly what we need in front of Distin and Jags.

I'll add one last thing, you won't get a lot of 9/10 or 10/10 performances from him although we got a couple back-to-back last April at Old Trafford and then at Wembley in the semi-final against Chelsea, but you will get 7/10 or 8/10 every week. He's Mr Consistency and provided he's used correctly can be relied upon to do his job no problem.

Don't put him in your fantasy team though, Lukaku on the other hand . . .

I'll add one last thing, you won't get a lot of 9/10 or 10/10 performances from him although we got a couple back-to-back last April at Old Trafford and then at Wembley in the semi-final against Chelsea, but you will get 7/10 or 8/10 every week. He's Mr Consistency and provided he's used correctly can be relied upon to do his job no problem.

Don't put him in your fantasy team though, Lukaku on the other hand . . .

Hmm, might be what we need. Seems like a lot of our players either put in 3/10-4/10 performances, or 9/10 performances.

City fan in peace.

Just to echo what the previous City fan said. Gareth is a great acqusisition for you guys and personally I think its a mistake letting him go. Excellent reader of the game, breaks up play, uses the ball intelligently and is a master at the sneaky foul and handball and getting away with it. At the moment we have a Barry shaped hole in front of our back 4 and it shows. You have to watch him week in week out to appreciate him.

Alll the best Gaz Baz

Manchester City isn't always appreciated on these pages by some participants but got to admit, have no animosity myself. Would always favor you over the other side of Manchester, and wish you well in your future endeavors. So what if you had a little money to spend and won a few things recently, after living around 35 years in the shadow of your neighbors. Don't have a problem with the club. Sincerely hope you can win back the title this season ,ahead of some other club names.

Not sure you can approve of the 'sneaky handball and foul' tactics side of things, despite whichever team it benefits, but recognize Barry as a decent player that has done well for previous clubs. Has fallen away in stature in recent years but look forward to seeing what he can bring to this club.

Without a doubt he will do a job for us. He will be busting a gut to get into the England side. Gibbo struggles to stay fit, despite his great start to this season I still feel Barkley needs a little protection and shouldn't be over played at this stage. With a few more numbers and versatility in our midfield it should give us a little more flexibility over formations. In summary I was against it but have now changed my mind

Lets remind ourselves of the qualities he had that made Liverpool want to get him at all costs from Villa.

• Great left foot
  • Disciplined and consistent
  • Great leader
  • Breaks up play well and is tactically astute

Yes, he has no pace - but he never has. For me he puts Osman on the bench, he gives McCarthy and Barkley an experienced mentor.

We are getting a quality midfielder here that many would have missed the trick on. Remember what Gary Mac did for Liverpool.

I think Barry will be the player we wished Neville was in the midfield.

I'm pretty certain this will be an inspired signing for us.

Lets remind ourselves of the qualities he had that made Liverpool want to get him at all costs from Villa.

• Great left foot
  • Great leader

Yes, he has no pace - but he never has. For me he puts Osman on the bench, he gives McCarthy and Barkley an experienced mentor.

We are getting a quality midfielder here that many would have missed the trick on. Remember what Gary Mac did for Liverpool.

This. With the most important element highlighted. He'll be integral to their development in the first team. Osman just isn't vocal or 'aware' enough to be concentrating on other players.

Just talking to a city fan in work. He said Barry has that uncanny ability to be positioned in the right place at the right time despite having limited mobility.

Lets be honest - was Fellaini mobile? For me he looked like someone doing a 10k run on a treadmill set at 12 kph. Whereas really you look at someone like Ramires for Chelsea who is like a whippet over 10-15 yards, de jong, song, essien - they accelerate towards the opponets and have the ability to turn and recover quicker.

Fellaini as we have seen, once beaten in a dribble (which 1 on 1 he is poor IMO) doesn't have it in him to get back.

Barry has a far better range of passin and gives us balance on the left.

I'm not dissing felli now he has gone, there were games were I thought he looked unplayable - it was just how and what made him have those games. He is a £27.5m midfielder and more on his day - but when those days account for less than 10% of the season I would sacrifice that value for consistency at a lesser cost.

• Great left foot
  • Great leader

great summation.

I wouldve just 'liked' it, but getting that stupid error message that someone *cough* Louis *cough* wont fix :P