IGNORED

West aaaaaaaam

Finn balor

Jelavic hardly had a chance today, the Fulham game is a chance for Martinez to show he still has faith in him.......rather than destroy him.

As big of a supporter of Jelavic as I've been, he has been given countless opportunities of "faith". While I understand our style with RM is different than that of Moyes, I think Jela's moment has passed. He just hasn't shown anything this season that justifies him keeping his place.

Jelavic hardly had a chance today, the Fulham game is a chance for Martinez to show he still has faith in him.......rather than destroy him.

He's had 5 premiership starts and done jack shit really. In 45 minutes a rusty lukaku showed far more. It's tough I know but we are a premier league club not a striker rehabilitation centre.

I see him being sold in January.

Fair play Moyes would never had made sub's that early to change the game

His would have been 50th minute (ossie injury) - heitinga on.

Then in 70th minute lukaku for jelavic, and that would be pretty much it. No exaggeration - that really would have been it. Naismith would have been target man for flick ons.

Football is a harsh business, Jelavic isn't doing enough to warrant a first-team place at the moment.

Lukaku > Kone > Jelly for me.

Edit: I'd love it to be Lukaku > Vellios but sadly that isn't going to happen :(.

I'd rather see Kone than Vellios. Kone still hasn't gotten much of a chance here. Jelavic has clearly lost his touch in front of goal. I think if Vellios was good enough, Martinez and Moyes would've both at least been putting him on the bench.

Two things at which RM excelled at Wigan were strategy changes/talks at half-time and inspired substitutions. We saw both today.

And I agree with the comment about transitioning carefully from old guard to new guard. You really do have to respect the old guard so that old and new are working together and not in opposition or resentment.

I agree that Jelavic really has played all his cards, and Kone deserves to be playing. I don't understand the criticism he is getting: He's hardly played, and his stats are actually very good.

Osman started out OK, I thought, but he soon went downhill. Over the next few weeks, we'll see the transition from Osman to McCarthy.

MOTM for me: Leighton Baines. His goals, together with Lukaku's physical presence, helped give belief to the team.

The only unbeaten team in the league! With all the predictions of RM not knowing how to defend, who expected that? :)

It looks like we're continuing with our 45 minute good performances from last season!

In the first half we were woeful. We had so much of the ball and did absolutely nothing with it apart from when Mirallas had that chance early on. Other than that one time we seriously lacked intent. Despite having very little of the ball West Ham still looked the better side and the more likely to score. Score they did. Yes, they got a bit of luck with the shot being deflected but I felt they deserved that luck and the goal. I really couldn't see where a goal was going to come from for us tbh.

The second half was a completely different story. Martinez needed to make changes, and make changes he did, and those changes made all the difference. Particularly Lukaku, and Oviedo when he came on a little later. Now we had intent, now we had someone to hit up front, now we had someone to scare the shit out of their defenders just by being on the pitch. Lukaku terrorised West Ham right from the off and gave us the platform for the rest of the team to do their stuff. Now their defenders were occupied with him, leaving our midfielders with more room to run into. Without him coming on I think we'd have just carried on frustrating. He changed the game completely. We went at them with pace and power now and they couldn't handle it. It really was just going to be a matter of time before we scored I felt. And we did. Barkley with a lovely driving run at their defence, drawing the foul for Baines to smash home the free-kick. Then some awful defending from Jagielka (it wasn't the first time) allowed them to take the lead again with a penalty. I know McCarthy actually gave the penalty away but the blame lies mostly with Jagielka, IMO. At this point I'd given the three points up and just hoped that we could get a point of it. Barkley once again with a driving run at the heart of their defence drew another foul, and red card for Noble. Baines again stepped up and put the free-kick away, I thought the second free-kick was even better than the first; he couldn't have put it in a better spot. We had all the momentum and the added advantage of an extra man and only a few minutes later we made that advantage count and got the winning goal. Mirallas with some great work down the right to cross for Lukaku to get the goal he thoroughly deserved. We saw the game out fairly comfortably from there and could have even grabbed a fourth goal.

We had 4 shots on target and scored 3 goals. Now that's clinical.

Life is good.

Howard - Barely had a thing to do and his distribution was quite good today.

Coleman - I thought he was very bad tbh. Offered virtually nothing as an attacking threat and was ok defensively.

Jagielka - Terrible game from him, and that was pretty much from the very beginning of the game right until the end. He was murdered by Jarvis early on and was only saved because Distin is a superhuman freak. Then later on in the game his poor passing at the back almost let West Ham in, he was the main reason we conceded the penalty. Also, once Petric won the ball he just stayed on the ground! And his long balls were shite.

Distin - Thank god he was playing really, with his partner playing like a donkey. He was rock solid. Nothing was getting past him today.

Baines - Acquitted himself well defensively, but it was attacking were he really flourished. I think he's struggled in that regard recently so it was nice to see him being so influential again. He bombed up and down his wing as usual but now he was a threat. And those free-kicks... I'll be honest, when he stepped for the first I wasn't confident he'd even get it over the wall. How wrong was I! Yes, Jaaskelainen was probably at fault but he smashed it. And the second one was just different class. It was inch perfect.

Naismith - Crap. That's all there is to stay.

Barry - Wasn't as all dominating as he was against Chelsea but he was still extremely effective at breaking up the play and being available to receive the ball at any time.

Osman - His injury was a blessing.

Mirallas - Probably our only positive in the first half, but I still didn't think he was that great. Second half he was a key player and ripped their full back a new arse hole. You could see his confidence growing each time he beat his man. He got himself a well earned assist for Lukaku's goal with his positive play. Again, I thought he was a big reason why we managed to comfortably see out the game. Having him on the pitch in those situations is priceless because he's able to keep hold of the ball in tight situation.

Barkley - On the whole quite a poor performance from him. Caught in possession quite a lot and guilty of making the wrong decisions a little too often. That being said, he was still the one who won the two free-kicks with his positive play that led to two of our goals! That's what impresses me about him; he may be having a bad game but he's not going to hide and he's not going to stop having a go.

Jelavic - Sigh... there was just nothing and he was quite rightly substituted at half-time and is going to have to get used to the bench after Lukaku's performance.

Lukaku - I don't normally talk about the subs but what a monstrous performance that was! He turned the game completely on it's head. Their defence shit themselves with him up there. He was a bully, and always looking to go at them. He came deep to receive the ball, he ran at them, he played the ball off to others, he showed strength to hold on to the ball, and he showed a willingness to put his head in where it hurts to get himself a goal. In short, he was the basis for this victory because the whole team could play off what he contributed. The only negative thing about him is that he doesn't have a great first touch and looks a little awkward when he first receives the ball, but after that he is an absolute beast.

I hope RM learned that you must ALWAYS play your best Starting XI and ignore this whole seniority bs. While I have utmost respect for Osman and Jela for what they have done in the past, there are simply better players at their positions that must start ahead of them.

Agree and disagree. I think it was a master stroke to keep the same team that beat Chelsea. In this way RM has made sure all the players know that if you put in a cracking performance and get a win you will start next game. I'm sure RM knew that it wasn't his strongest starting line up but by going behind he could make changes and the players coming off couldn't complain. In addition to this turning a loss into a win will give the players confidence in RM as manager and mean he can change the next starting line ups with little complaint from the players losing their start. Loving RM.

The thing that totally changes us from a mediocre side to class act side is jelavic.... Jelavic is a goal poacher. As simple as that... He cannot have too many touches of the ball other than shooting at goal.... Lukaku on the other hand tracks back and brings the midfielders into the game as an attacking sense. This completely changes the way we attack teams... Sorry to say this but Lukaku today showed just how much jelavic is really lacking. This may sound stupid but I think naismith will play batter with Lukaku up front aswell cause he does have some clever passes in the bag that can open up defences.

Edited by Brett Angel

What can I say - Lukaku is some class act, only 20 years old, he totally changed that game. You have to say if he plays like that for the best part of the season it's going to make a big difference to our points tally come the end of the year. He could fire us in to Europe. His general play really impressed me. God I wish he was a permanent signing. Chelsea fans will be doing their nut after watching his highlight on MotD.

It's hard not to get carried away- given we are still very much a work in progress under Martinez. I am going to be gutted when we lose now!! Finger crossed we can get a run of wins.

West ham created little really, their first goal was all about a lucky deflection, and the penalty was about the only way they were going to put the ball in the net in the second half.

I can't stand West Ham, and to beat two much disliked oppositions in successive weeks, is a mighty fine achievement.

Couldn't argue the penalty that Noble scored from, although the player was careless to be dismissed moments later. Thought Barkley tried to do too much on his own sometimes and the overall win maybe doesn't componsate for a lackluster first half. Baines again, scored two great goals from set pieces and was the difference today. Certainly picked up in the second half but we need to be doing that for ninety minutes each week, not just for half a game. Pleased for Lukaku to score and an appearance to remember but there were other players involved today in getting the three points, and remaining unbeaten.

Beating this opposition and the plastics last weekend, it amounts to a great success. This wouldn't have occured under Moyes and played for the draw today, so keeping faith with Martinez that something may just occur this season.

I can't stand West Ham, and to beat two much disliked oppositions in successive weeks, is a mighty fine achievement.

Couldn't argue the penalty that Noble scored from, although the player was careless to be dismissed moments later. Thought Barkley tried to do too much on his own sometimes and the overall win maybe doesn't componsate for a lackluster first half. Baines again, scored two great goals from set pieces and was the difference today. Certainly picked up in the second half but we need to be doing that for ninety minutes each week, not just for half a game. Pleased for Lukaku to score and an appearance to remember but there were other players involved today in getting the three points, and remaining unbeaten.

Beating this opposition and the plastics last weekend, it amounts to a great success. This wouldn't have occured under Moyes and played for the draw today, so keeping faith with Martinez that something may just occur this season.

You watched the game :o?