IGNORED

So What?

rubecula

After the match Paul Merson and John Collins made a side remark that Everton are Champions contenders. I am not so sure as to that, but if we keep it up we will be there or there abouts.

The problem is, the season is still not halfway yet, and we seem to be getting a lot of draws. Who is to say the bubble won't burst?

So what do you think our final position is going to be?

A bit premature of me but I will go for second (with crossed fingers)

Let's think about it. Which other teams are in the top tier of the EPL? ManU, ManC, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, and Spurs. Of these, we've beaten Chelsea and ManU, tied Arsenal, Liverpool, and Spurs, and lost to ManC. That's better than 50%, so out of seven teams, this would put us 3rd or 4th. Realistically, I'd say that Arsenal and ManC are guaranteed CL places. Spurs will struggle to get there. Chelsea and ManU, in my opinion, are the teams to beat. Then Everton and Liverpool would slot into 3rd and 4th places.

So, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that we have a realistic chance of making the fourth spot. If things go really well, we could make it to third.

I'd love to see us finish 4th or higher, a champions league spot would be huge for us at the moment especially with us needing to replace Lukaku with a quality striker at the end of the season.

It's great to see us competing toe for toe with the top sides in the league and actually having them coming out praising not just our commitment and hard work like when we played well in those games under Moyes but the quality of our play. It's good to get recognition all round for just how well we're playing.

We have had a lot of draws but our attacking play is improving, a draw away against Arsenal doesn't count the same really as the earlier draws we had and we are finding the net a lot more. There's still work to do as they are still finding it hard to turn possession in to chances but it keeps improving and confidence is so high at the moment.

I'd say at the moment the teams I think will finish above us are ARSENAL, LIVERPOOL and MAN CITY. Chelsea are there as well but have looked beatable in several games, Utd will need to spend in January and really improve their game while Spurs still have a lot of improvement in their game play to come.

Really don't rate Chelsea - Mourinho won't play their best player, and when he does play him the guy looks short on confidence. They have the potential to implode at any moment and they've been playing shite football all season.

Would love to see both Chelsea and Man U drop out of the top four completely. Man City, Everton, Arsenal and one of Liverpool, Tottenham or Southampton would be dandy.

Guest rusty747

Liverpool are a one man team and we will finish above them. I agree that Arsenal and Man C will finish in top 2 places but we are as much in the mix for third in my opinion as Chelsea, Spurs, Man U.

For me it's down to injuries, suspensions and who we buy in January.

If injuries and suspensions are kind to us and we buy well in January I would be disappointed to finish outside the top 4. And that's coming from my head and my heart.

And if we do get Champions League next season, keep Gerry for another season, sign Gazza permanently and maybe persuade Jose to let us keep Lukaku .... well, just think what we could be on the cusp of here!

I'm going to say sixth -- just so I'm not disappointed if we finish out of the top four. I really feel we can do it though. I really think this squad is the strongest we've had in a looong time. I'm very happy to be an Everton supporter in these times. The last few years have been great but also stale to a certain extent. Now we're playing great football and are matching head-to-head with teams that are "better" than us.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum!!

Well why cant we challenge the big boys for the title? Bar Man City we have matched the other contenders toe for toe and our better performances have even come away against these teams (bar the derby).

If anything is going to hold us back its going to be injuries/suspensions. McCarthy out for the next game is going to be a huge blow but not one that Barkley cant fill and in turn Gerry can fill his boots. The problems come when someone else gets injured and we have to fill 2 voids especially over a period of 3 or 4 games.

With a bit of luck (no injuries for us, a decent couple of signings in January) we can be there ot there about in May 3rd or 4th. It all depends on the other teams, at the moment they are making it a realistic dream... Chelsea and City dropping points, United basically imploding. Spurs struggling to score, Liverpool relying on one man...

My head says that the laws of probability means that an injury to a key player (Barry, McCarthy, Barkley, Lukaku) will see us struggle to play the way we have been. First 11 we are definately a top 5 team.

The for me consistency will be the key. I'm not convinced to he honest just because we've matched the top sides, as we've matched City and Arsenal the last few years, it's the results against the bottom half of the table that seems to be what separates us from the rest. I think though we've got depth this year that we didn't have the past few seasons. Gibbo as our centre mid backup as opposed to Phil Neville, and Pienaar for Deulofeu or vice versa, which may the difference for us this season.

I think top five will finish City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Liverpool, with the latter 3 in no particular order.

Champions eh? Well... no, but I think we can push top 4.

Apparently, Liverpool have lost Gerrard and Henderson for a few weeks, the most busy few weeks of the season, and go into all these games with Allen and Lucas as there only 2 fit CMs. Thats got to be a blow for them, especially with Sturridge out. Looking around, it seems Lucas already has 5 bookings, so I assume his suspension is already served? IF other teams can keep Suarez quite, Liverpool will struggle over the holiday period, with Spurs, City, Chelsea (plus Cardiff) in their next 4 games - 7 points wouldnt be too bad for us ;) (assuming 3 draws and a win)

Chelsea seem to have had a very rocky start, Citys away form is unbelievable considering the home form (talk about Jekyll and Hyde!), Spurs have stuttered since our 0-0 with them and Ive got a feeling Newcastle will get dizzy at the heights and drop away, much like Southampton have done recently.

The most important thing is we (the team) just concentrate on our next game, try to win it and not get carried away. There is a loooooong way to go in this season, and we have dropped too many points already from sloppy play/finishing - whos to say that wont be our downfall going forward? On the flip side, as Cornish pointed out, we are only a few months into the Martinez revolution which can potentially get better and better. Will be interesting if he does reinforce in the January window. Apart from a Striker and CM, I dont think theres any rush to buy but new faces might be that extra little thing we need to get a second wind and continue to improve.

Regardless of where we do end up, Im immensely proud of this club and how its coped with such a big change. A massive part of that is thanks to the board, but most importantly Martinez for instilling belief that we can be even better.

Champions eh? Well... no, but I think we can push top 4.

Apparently, Liverpool have lost Gerrard and Henderson for a few weeks, the most busy few weeks of the season, and go into all these games with Allen and Lucas as there only 2 fit CMs. Thats got to be a blow for them, especially with Sturridge out. Looking around, it seems Lucas already has 5 bookings, so I assume his suspension is already served? IF other teams can keep Suarez quite, Liverpool will struggle over the holiday period, with Spurs, City, Chelsea (plus Cardiff) in their next 4 games - 7 points wouldnt be too bad for us ;) (assuming 3 draws and a win)

Chelsea seem to have had a very rocky start, Citys away form is unbelievable considering the home form (talk about Jekyll and Hyde!), Spurs have stuttered since our 0-0 with them and Ive got a feeling Newcastle will get dizzy at the heights and drop away, much like Southampton have done recently.

The most important thing is we (the team) just concentrate on our next game, try to win it and not get carried away. There is a loooooong way to go in this season, and we have dropped too many points already from sloppy play/finishing - whos to say that wont be our downfall going forward? On the flip side, as Cornish pointed out, we are only a few months into the Martinez revolution which can potentially get better and better. Will be interesting if he does reinforce in the January window. Apart from a Striker and CM, I dont think theres any rush to buy but new faces might be that extra little thing we need to get a second wind and continue to improve.

Regardless of where we do end up, Im immensely proud of this club and how its coped with such a big change. A massive part of that is thanks to the board, but most importantly Martinez for instilling belief that we can be even better.

Anyone not thought that Chelsea will try and get Suarez??? Man City would probably thrown their hat in but I am serious when I think that whoever from those teams gets Suarez is basically assuring themselves of winning the league and maybe the champions league.

His value has to be £60m+ right now and as much as we would hate to see Liverpool armed with that sort of money, I would sooner see them have to try and get the players in to strengthen that team rather than have Suarez. He is that good.

Anyone not thought that Chelsea will try and get Suarez??? Man City would probably thrown their hat in but I am serious when I think that whoever from those teams gets Suarez is basically assuring themselves of winning the league and maybe the champions league.

His value has to be £60m+ right now and as much as we would hate to see Liverpool armed with that sort of money, I would sooner see them have to try and get the players in to strengthen that team rather than have Suarez. He is that good.

last time Chelsea bought Liverpools best player for a fuckton of money, he turned to shit and the Kopites bought Andy Caroll! Lets hope so!

Seriously though, cant see the shite letting him go midseason.

There are only two teams that have realistically been playing better football than us so far this season and whats more encouraging for us is that we are hitting form whilst they are starting to struggle.

Arsenal have been consistently good and City have been brilliant at home. Liverpool are around our level, sometimes better and sometimes worse but Chelsea, Utd and Spurs dont know their best 11. I still think Soton will be right up there because they play the right way and will cause problems for amy side.

People keep saying about us having a blip but how do we know that wasnt the start of the season when we were drawing games we should have won?

At the end of it all though I dont really care where we finish. If we keep playing like we are atm the football will be a joy to watch and we will win a damn site more than we lose!

There are only two teams that have realistically been playing better football than us so far this season and whats more encouraging for us is that we are hitting form whilst they are starting to struggle.

Arsenal have been consistently good and City have been brilliant at home. Liverpool are around our level, sometimes better and sometimes worse but Chelsea, Utd and Spurs dont know their best 11. I still think Soton will be right up there because they play the right way and will cause problems for amy side.

People keep saying about us having a blip but how do we know that wasnt the start of the season when we were drawing games we should have won?

At the end of it all though I dont really care where we finish. If we keep playing like we are atm the football will be a joy to watch and we will win a damn site more than we lose!

Not to sound too much like a bitter Blue, but theyve not been near our level - Suarez is the reason they are where they are; take him away and theyre a midtable club...

Really hoping the 2nd part is true, I was thinking the same before :D

Not to sound too much like a bitter Blue, but theyve not been near our level - Suarez is the reason they are where they are; take him away and theyre a midtable club...

Really hoping the 2nd part is true, I was thinking the same before :D

They are better than that Matt. They played well and won with Sturridge on his own up top and they have probably done the same but scored more with Suarez. We werent all that early on so on balance I think both teams are around the same level so far.