IGNORED

Stevenage - FA Cup Fourth Round - Broadhall Way Stadium

Dalziel Kane

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25866676

Martinez says Stevenage are favourites. I understand respecting the home team regardless of their league status, but I'm not sure I agree that the home team is 'always' favourite regardless of what division they're in. He's just managing expectations of course, but Everton are rightly favourites in any away game against any team outside the PL top 6 in my opinion

Edited by Ant1979

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25847809

Stevenage manager says Everton will be 'bewildered' by the place! Strange choice of words

Then both managerial figures would appear to be making questionable statements, following on from Martinez' favorites declaration.

You can blast both areas of dispute with one shot by simply being aware that it's simply a game against lower league opposition, albeit at an awkard venue, that Everton are streets ahead in terms of ability and class, and all that 'romance of the FA Cup' etc, people look at fixures such as this and invariably envisage repeats of Hereford / Newcastle 1972 (or whenever it occured) and some great shock of epic proportions.

Which even then won't occur, as athough Stevenage are no pushovers, and take credit for some outstanding results over Newcastle and Tottenham in recent years, all Martinez needs do is field a strong starting XI on the day, and if the players this time show more heart and desire than Monday, the result will take care of itself.

This is the sort of fixture where Jelavic could have had a stellar game, but as moved on, will have to be dependant on other striking names to make their mark, and I expect them to deliver. While this is weaker opposition than Fulham last autumn, in that game Martinez rested a number of key players, and we suffered an elimination (League Cup) so if he's going to leave names out in favor of the Liverpool game thereafter, he will need to make some prudent decisions.

In all honesty would want the club to win the FA Cup again this year than a place in europe (ideal if both achievable) , and this fixture represents a good opportunity to progress a little further towards that objective. It should be a good game, both for the home team and (home) supporters with an atmosphere to savor, as well as neutrals wherever you may find them. Always a little apprehensive with regards this club and lower league opposition, and with all due respect to them, we shouldn't really be fucking this one up, and moving on once again, to a place in the latter stages.

Then both managerial figures would appear to be making questionable statements, following on from Martinez' favorites declaration.

You can blast both areas of dispute with one shot by simply being aware that it's simply a game against lower league opposition, albeit at an awkard venue, that Everton are streets ahead in terms of ability and class, and all that 'romance of the FA Cup' etc, people look at fixures such as this and invariably envisage repeats of Hereford / Newcastle 1972 (or whenever it occured) and some great shock of epic proportions.

Which even then won't occur, as athough Stevenage are no pushovers, and take credit for some outstanding results over Newcastle and Tottenham in recent years, all Martinez needs do is field a strong starting XI on the day, and if the players this time show more heart and desire than Monday, the result will take care of itself.

This is the sort of fixture where Jelavic could have had a stellar game, but as moved on, will have to be dependant on other striking names to make their mark, and I expect them to deliver. While this is weaker opposition than Fulham last autumn, in that game Martinez rested a number of key players, and we suffered an elimination (League Cup) so if he's going to leave names out in favor of the Liverpool game thereafter, he will need to make some prudent decisions.

In all honesty would want the club to win the FA Cup again this year than a place in europe (ideal if both achievable) , and this fixture represents a good opportunity to progress a little further towards that objective. It should be a good game, both for the home team and (home) supporters with an atmosphere to savor, as well as neutrals wherever you may find them. Always a little apprehensive with regards this club and lower league opposition, and with all due respect to them, we shouldn't really be fucking this one up, and moving on once again, to a place in the latter stages.

So to summarise... Stevenage will be up for it. Everton are favourites. Ha ;)

With signifcant players not involved today (Kone, Deulofeu, Pienaar, Barkley, Coleman etc) there is a greater chance for some upset result but other players at our disposal should be enough for progression. All Martinez needs do is play with an attacking emphasis and get at them straight from the off and eventually our greater skill and EPL pedigree should see us through. It would appear evident one or two "individuals" on these pages care little for this competition and there's this level of apathy and so long as we gain a UEFA Cup place through the league, that's all important. Fuck that, I want this club to win this again, this season, to overcome todays opposition, and move into further stages and go as far as possible. You got your ideas, others have theirs. You got to believe you won't be getting your desires on this day. Three and a half hours until this gets underway and while quietly confident, anything can happen on the day. Didn't expect Shrewsbury to have a win in 2003 either, so should be an eventful evening.

direct style? Hoofball?

Yep. To a degree. Passing it around the back on a boggy pitch is stupid. Their pitch will be horrendous.

I believe in a footballing philosophy however sacrificing a cup run for principles is not for me. The pitches our players are used to are 20 times what they will be playing on.

This is gonna be an old fashioned ugly who wants it more cup game.