IGNORED

Spurs Away

Kev627

he acknowledged that it was a defensive cock up but also said the game shouldn't have got to that point because of a free kick not being given..you haven't addressed that just keep repeating that it was our own fault

exactly. No one else (tv coverage) seems to have acknowledged it so maybe I'm mistaken and Ossie was just overpowered

Good performance overall but final product let us down. On a few occasions we had the ball in great areas ready for a final pass or shot but when we needed to pass we ahot and we needed a strike on goal we passed.

Say what you want about the foul for the goal but if Distin and Jags dont fall asleep we dont concede. Piss poor from our two most experienced defenders who otherwise had an excellent game.

Its a real kick in the nuts but we were the better team but we need to start turning dominance into goals.

It's up to our players to stand over that ball and not let a quick one get taken our mistake.

Yes ok our players shouldnt have switched off but the fact of the matter is that they gained an unfair advantage which they scored from by taking the free kick from where they did and quite simply that is against the rules of the game, what our players did or didnt do is irrelevant if the Referee does his job properly. The free kick should have been retaken from the correct spot

Yes ok our players shouldnt have switched off but the fact of the matter is that they gained an unfair advantage which they scored from by taking the free kick from where they did and quite simply that is against the rules of the game, what our players did or didnt do is irrelevant if the Referee does his job properly. The free kick should have been retaken from the correct spot

thats another thing. Carragher acknowledged that if he ball had been 10yards forward from the incident (it was a freekick) it would've been called back. Inconsistency...

First half I was really impressed with our performance. We were fluent, dominant, and very positive in everything we did. That meant we controlled the play and we created a fair few chances. We really should have put at least one of those chances away and that’s ultimately what has cost us the points today. What most impressed me about the first half was just how well we won the ball back by pressing. We showed incredible energy levels. I thought after a break for half time we’d come out and show more of the same and get the points in the bag to take back with us.

However, I didn’t think we ever got going in the second half at all. There were tiny sparks of what we showed in the first half but it never lasted. We just got progressively worse in all aspects. Our passing suffered, our energy levels dropped, we looked devoid of ideas going forward, our movement by players to provide a viable option for the man on the ball was poor, we created nothing, and we were so painfully slow in our build up play. What was most disappointing, for me though, was our response to conceding the goal. There wasn’t a response. Oh there was by the manager in making changes (although, maybe Traore should’ve been one of the subs) but the players didn’t respond in any way. They looked like they were just going through the motions. We were never going to get back in the game.

In regards to the “penalty”, my first reaction was no penalty because Coleman was looking for it. And I don’t even think the free-kick that was given that Spurs scored from was a free-kick.

I think fourth is probably beyond us now, but you never know. Looks like it’ll just be a battle to be best of the rest again.

Howard – Couldn’t do anything about the goal and had nothing else to do throughout the game.

Coleman – A pleasing performance from him after being out for quite a while. A couple of occasions when he looked a little rusty, in both attack and defence, but for the most part he was very solid and went about his work well.

Jagielka – Despite switching off for the goal I thought he played really well. He put in a few really good defensive plays to stop Spurs even getting a shot on goal.

Distin – Also switched off for their goal and had a major brainfart in the first half that could have cost us, but again, like Jags, did have a decent game and used his pace well.

Baines – He gave it a go. But, his effectiveness was lacking for me. Maybe a lot of that was to do with having a poor Pienaar though. I also wish he’d stop being a corner taker for us. More often than not they’re terrible. We had loads of corners today and not once did I think “we might score from one of these”.

Mirallas – Really impressed with him in the first half. He looked so bright and threatening and I felt he was going to run the show for us and be a match winner for us again. He kept finding himself in space to do damage. Sadly, we didn’t see much of him at all in the second half.

Barry – He hasn’t been in the best form lately but I felt he looked more like the Barry that has surprised a few this season (myself included). He shielded the defence well again and his passing was back to it’s best as well – the pass he pinged to Baines in the first half was beautiful.

McCarthy – He also provided good protection for the defence by winning the ball back for us a lot throughout the game, he was very tenacious, but I felt he maybe could have used the ball better once he had won it back.

Pienaar – I’m surprised at people talking about him as one of our most effective players because, for me, he never got into the game and was anonymous. He just didn’t contribute anything worthwhile.

Osman – He made a fantastic start to the game and was the focal point of everything that was good about us in the first half. He was everywhere and got on the end of a few chances, which he maybe should have done better with at least one and put us ahead. Second half, though, he was a passenger and probably should have been subbed a bit earlier. Also, if he waits for the ball to get to him rather than go towards the ball to receive it and we end up losing possession because of it one more time I might just grab him by his scrawny neck and strangle the life out of him.

Naismith – Another who played really well in the first half and showed an incredible amount of desire and energy in his play. He was a big reason why we managed to win the ball back so much in that first half because he was pressing their defenders all the time and putting them under a massive amount of pressure. So they found it hard to build anything from the back. He faded very badly towards the end of the game but still got my MOTM vote.

Out played Spurs for 70% of the game, with Saurez up front for us we'd have walked it.

Naismith and Mirallas played pretty well, but a killer striker with either of those beside them would see us pushing for the top.

Lukaku went cold a while back, so lacking a main striker and still pushing top 4 is a credit to Martinez and the squad.

Should have gone in 2 or 3 up at half time, Martinez has said he'd rather lose pretty than win ugly.........does that make him happy today!

If I was offered a top 6 and FA Cup final I'd take it now.

We don't have the squad to get into the top 4 and this game showed why. Pretty passing but no player to grab hold and stick the ball in the net. A lack of physical strength in the final third and aging players in a few to many positions.

Ultimately, we'll probably finish on par with an average Moyes season but play better football getting there which is a positive.

This talk of building something special rather than buying it is just that. Talk, probably nothing more. It's great to listen to RM and all his positive speeches but money does the talking at the end of the day. Just look at who occupies the top four places in the PL.

Sadly I think you are spot on

at the end of the day. we waste every set piece we get. my feeling is we dont practice these on the training field anymore, as much....like yesterday, if that was the shite they would have been 0-4 up after 25 minutes....this is the reason whythere will be no champions league football next season. not clinical in front of goal..... the amount of times we tried to walk the ball in. that only shows no confidence in shooting..

I do still think that there is a slim chance of a fourth place finish it's a long shot considering how well the shite are playing and if not for a shit run of injuries I genuinely think we would be sitting pretty in fourth, if we had Lukaku or Kone fit today I think we would have come away with at least a point.

There's every chance of 5th and a Europa spot as both the shite and Spurs have a slightly tougher run of fixtures in my eyes, considering it's RM's first season in charge and to be hit with injuries to multiple key players fighting for 5th and a good cup run with a realistic chance of winning it will do me!

Edited by EFC-Paul

I think realisticly fourth place has gone, if it was ever on

5th is starting to look like a tall order and if United hit form on the run in then 6th could be out of our reach as well

Im starting to think our only hope of European football will be by winning the FA Cup

Massive week next week now and anything less tan 2 victories will be season over

I've been in work today but was watching sky report and the lads on here to see how the game was going. I phoned my stepdad at half time and we both said we have missed too many chances and it will bite us on the arse. I've taped the game and will watch it later so I Can't comment on what happened apart from the obvious lack of us taking our chances again. I was pissed off for a few hours and then I've settled down and tried to think logically for a bit and I'm feeling slightly optimistic.

Yes top four is going to be hard but not impossible and I think if you asked all of us if we would take this position at the start of the season we would have all said yes. I think it's obvious without injuries to gerry and Barkley when they were in full flow has really hit us and the transfer window was a dissapointment but if you look at it from Roberto's standpoint the season is shaping up just as good as he could hope for. He is in the same position in the league as moyes has delivered, he has got us playing great football, brought young players through into the first team with the possibility of more to come judging by the reserve team. He has arguably lowered the wage bill and has a hefty war chest to spend in the summer(hopefully). If all our arguement is the lack of squad depth and strikers I'm sure roberto knows that better than anybody. He has raised the bar by getting Gerry etc on loan and I'm sure he will do that again next year by attracting the same type of player aswell as spending on two forwards aswell as a couple of creative players. I reckon Roberto cannot wait for the summer to put his stamp on our club

Trying to remain objective and impartial this is my view of the game obviously my focus was on how Spurs played

1st Half Everton were quicker to the ball in every department, and had 4 reasonable chances to score and perhaps the best fell to Osman, had he had put it either side of Lloris then it would have been a different game, the crowd would have started getting on the players backs and it would have been difficult for us to chase the game. Penis and Baines were causing all sorts of strife to Walker and Danny Rose looked out of his depth, we didn't trouble you too much although Dembele was causing problems in central midfield, just a shame he had trouble distinguishing between a blue shirt and a white one overall 1st half was Evertons

2nd half we were better but Everton still posed a threat, Walker had a better half ( surely England has a better choice RB) Paulinho still could not make any sort of impact, Miralles seemed to just go past our players but fail to deliver, Coleman got better, but we started to get the run of the ball you were getting in the first We scored a well taken goal quick delivery from walker caught your defenders out and Adebayor finished well, then we did our best to let you get back into it, some strange substitutions Defoe was just to say thank you. Referee had an OK game and you could have had a penalty at the end

Everton impressed me and were unlucky today on chances created you perhaps should have won, on balance of play a draw would have been a fair result, The race for Top four still has a long way to go although unless Liverpool implode, or Suarez gets injured (here's hoping) 4th is theirs maybe even 3rd with the Scum 4th

Good Luck for the rest of the season

The one thing I do like is I don't feel as bad when we get beat under RM. Other than the derby, we take so many positives from them.

Gotta agree here. even in defeat we didnt get turned over.

I also agree with your comments earlier, why are so useless at set-pieces? cant remember the last time we did anything with a corner.

And that lovely move on the left when Baines, Ossie and Peanuts played the ball into thier penalty area at least three times while keeping possesion.. only to move the ball back out and into the middle of the park? Why not pressure them once the ball is in thier area, make them make mistakes.

Dont feel that bad this morning though and i am sure the race is still on for europe.