IGNORED

Finch Farm expansion

Louis

Roberto Martinez says Finch Farm must continue to be improved and has plans to include accommodation at Finch Farm.

The Everton manager wants to increase the number of hours players spend in training by building overnight accommodation at Finch Farm.

It is plans for the Finch Farm training ground that illustrate the manager's meticulous attention to detail and influence throughout the club. Everton moved into the impressive Liverpool City council-owned complex only in 2007 but Martínez believes player-development will improve significantly with new facilities.

The new TV money won't make a massive difference on the playing side because we've got a lot of things we want to do on the training ground. We want to build accommodation here, have bedrooms on site, put a new pitch in and give the training ground a big lift. I'm going to use the money for that."

Spending on infrastructure is exempt from Uefa's financial fair play calculations but Martínez insists Finch Farm, with 10 full-size grass pitches, one full-size synthetic pitch, an indoor pitch and three smaller pitches, does not meet his requirements for the club. "Every year you need to improve," he added.

"We need bedrooms for the first team and the option to get digs for the young players to stay on site as well. We are two pitches short and we need to have a full-size indoor facility for all the age groups. The facilities here are terrific but the demands every season change and you need to be up to date.

"We have different projects and the cost depends on how much we are going to go into it. They are different projects one is the bedrooms, one is the new pitches, one is for the youth to have digs. There are different projects that we can do over the next 24 months."

Asked why he wants players sleeping at Finch Farm, Martínez said: "Because you can work. Young players especially, any player under 24, needs to have the right balance of training and recovery. The moment you lose a player to injury and he has to go home to recover and come back, it makes it impossible to get two sessions in. You have to have that base to work if you want to invest in youngsters.

"The 10,000 hours rule [the supposed time required to become expert in any field] is impossible but if you can get a player doing double of what they do the benefits are incredible. Even before games you have to go to a hotel. You don't create that environment of feeling at home. It is now a must to have bedrooms. Every first-team player should have a bedroom."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/mar/27/roberto-martinez-everton-rebuild-training-round

What struck me was "the new TV money won't help us on the pitch because I want to use it at Finch Farm". Strange thinking IMO. We are skint and need every penny for new players or does he know something we don't?

Edited by MiguelCotto

My bad!

TV money should be going on players, IMO. It's not like this is something that is desperately needed when we already have top end facilities at Finch Farm.

Is it really that top end though if they don't even have that kind of accomodation? I know Belgian team Standard de Liège has had bedrooms for all of the senior players since 2004, Anderlecht have recently got it as well I think. And those clubs have nowhere near the budget Everton have.

Edited by Steve_E

I'm surprised nobody had mentioned this already but how much is the TV revenue? I'm not entirely sure how this all works perhaps someone can open my eyes a little?

It says here we were given 51million in 12/13

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2012-13/may/premier-league-total-broadcasting-payments-season-2012-13.html

I also heard somewhere that there is an additional 30million for clubs next season, is that right?

So given my loosely backed up calculation are we due 80 odd million this closed season?

That's some housing unit they are buiding at Finch Farm, we have just built a 5* Luxury Hotel in Thailand for not far off that figure!! :wacko:

What struck me was "the new TV money won't help us on the pitch because I want to use it at Finch Farm". Strange thinking IMO. We are skint and need every penny for new players or does he know something we don't?

I disagree. It's a far better use of money to get more out of existing team, squad, and youth players by spending wisely on training facilities. There are known players and already on the payroll. Compare this with top companies that invest in their employees, sending them to training courses, planning their career development, and so on. It breeds loyalty, and you get more from them.

I disagree. It's a far better use of money to get more out of existing team, squad, and youth players by spending wisely on training facilities. There are known players and already on the payroll. Compare this with top companies that invest in their employees, sending them to training courses, planning their career development, and so on. It breeds loyalty, and you get more from them.

I don't get the whole sleeping arrangements? Surely players will want to go home...? Most of them live locally anyway. Very strange IMO.

I am all for investing into the future stability of a club.

If thats what Roberto thinks we need in order to produce better facilities and training environmemts, so be it.

I trust Roberto with our academy. He wants to build a barca like, sports environment and is following moves made by other successful european academies at large clubs.

Edited by tenaciousj

We also pay a hotel for the use of their facilities before games, might save money long term. I believe they rent digs for the youth players too, so again could save money there too.

LCC own the land, we pay a cheap rent, no reason why we can't develop the land. Maybe after a couple of years in the champions league we can buy it back. Wouldn't be that expensive anyway.

I think we have an option to buy on Finch Farm, so it will not be wasted money and is something that the club needs to do.

Expansion is a great idea. We have a great area to pick the best talent from and we need to ensure we remain the best option ahead of Liverpool.

We also pay a hotel for the use of their facilities before games, might save money long term. I believe they rent digs for the youth players too, so again could save money there too.

LCC own the land, we pay a cheap rent, no reason why we can't develop the land. Maybe after a couple of years in the champions league we can buy it back. Wouldn't be that expensive anyway.

With our wonderful forward-thinking CEO even with regular CL football we'd probably still continue to rent :P.

It's not something that I had really thought about until recently but I'm guessing the end result will be very similar to what Cortese was implementing at Southampton when he was chairman. There was an article on BBC Sport when he left that documented the changes that he made in terms of preparation to help the squad before match days.

It's building a solid base of foundations for building out the youth system. He's been talking recently about how to manage the small margins in football so it would seem to be money well spent and will be another string in the bow for Everton when talking to the likes of PSG, Barca, Real to turn round and say that we have built out the infrastructure of the club and this is how it benefits our players and how it will benefit any players we can bring in on loan.

It's refreshing to hear our manager investing more in youth. I see nothing but upside.

I don't get the whole sleeping arrangements? Surely players will want to go home...? Most of them live locally anyway. Very strange IMO.

in his press conference today he elaborated more. the sleeping arrangements are mostly for the youngsters players under 24 he said who need extra training and sessions. it would be used by the senior team for home matches and close away matches instead of staying at hotels.

it brings to mind ross barkley talking about how he took 2 buses and a hour an a half commute just to get to training as a youngster without a lot of money, this would remedy that i'm guessing.

Edited by markjazzbassist

in his press conference today he elaborated more. the sleeping arrangements are mostly for the youngsters players under 24 he said who need extra training and sessions. it would be used by the senior team for home matches and close away matches instead of staying at hotels.

it brings to mind ross barkley talking about how he took 2 buses and a hour an a half commute just to get to training as a youngster without a lot of money, this would remedy that i'm guessing.

Unless things have changed under Martinez the team don't stay in a hotel pre home games.....they certainly never did under Moyes.

Unless things have changed under Martinez the team don't stay in a hotel pre home games.....they certainly never did under Moyes.

my bad then, i assumed after reading this, but we all know what happens when you assume (cue my old english teacher "you make an ASS out of U and ME", thanks mrs. johnson you old cranky hoot).

“In general it’s trying to increase the possibilities we have at Finch Farm in terms of accommodation and being able to have the players staying overnight if it is needed in preparation for home games and preparation for the shorter distance away games.”

You could assume from that quite easily but in seasons previous to this players always made their way to the ground under their own steam for home games; was always interesting seeing what sort of car they were driving.

Possibly it has changed this season.

You could assume from that quite easily but in seasons previous to this players always made their way to the ground under their own steam for home games; was always interesting seeing what sort of car they were driving.

Possibly it has changed this season.

possibly. i do remember seeing pictures of fellaini in that little car of his, was hilarious.