IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Guest Nikica

Chile much better than 4 of them since it started.

I agree, but I think he's making the point that - come the nitty gritty - the superpowers eventually win. The history of the tournament says that only the superpowers (of powers of their respective time period) can win the competition. But I suppose that's a risky way of looking at it as it neglects to take into account what form and momentum can do in a month long tournament.

I made the same point as Cotto - I think eventually one of the 'superpowers' will prevail. However, I'd love to see Chile or Colombia win it. They both play excellent football and do the right things on the park. I've given Belgium shit but it would be nice to see a team like that win it too over your usual Germany/ Brazil / Italy etc.

Edited by Nikica

I agree, but I think he's making the point that - come the nitty gritty - the superpowers eventually win. The history of the tournament says that only the superpowers (of powers of their respective time period) can win the competition. But I suppose that's a risky way of looking at it as it neglects to take into account what form and momentum can do in a month long tournament.

I made the same point as Cotto - I think eventually one of the 'superpowers' will prevail. However, I'd love to see Chile or Colombia win it. They both play excellent football and do the right things on the park. I've given Belgium shit but it would be nice to see a team like that win it too over your usual Germany/ Brazil / Italy etc.

Holland?

Guest Nikica

Holland?

Well yeah, that would be fair. They're a superpower really, but they've never won the tournament and have lost three finals. If anyone is overdue a world title then it's them. They've also been pretty entertaining thus far (less so against Australia tbf) so I'd have no problem with that. I don't like RVP but it would be nice to see Robben win the WC after his miss in the final four years ago.

Guest Nikica

Yeah, Germany can certainly win this tournament. Still quite fancy Argentina - don't think they're as poor defensively as claimed.

As Matt says, this dismissal simply encourages the Greeks to play even deeper. The Greeks are just brutal to watch - Japan haven't exactly played like Brazil 70 either but Greece ruin every game they play in. I don't blame them as every team is entitled to play to their strengths to try and get a positive result, but fuck me this is bollox.

"how is Samaras a professional footballer by the way?!"

I watched him for years at Celtic - he's just pointless the majority of the time. Occasionally he will do something special but for the most part he's useless.

The only positive about this result so far is that Konno is actually playing this game (didn't play versus CIV) and I have him in my fantasy defence.

Edited by Nikica

Yeah, Germany can certainly win this tournament. Still quite fancy Argentina - don't think they're as poor defensively as claimed.

As Matt says, this dismissal simply encourages the Greeks to play even deeper. The Greeks are just brutal to watch - Japan haven't exactly played like Brazil 70 either but Greece ruin every game they play in. I don't blame them as every team is entitled to play to their strengths to try and get a positive result, but fuck me this is bollox.

"how is Samaras a professional footballer by the way?!"

I watched him for years at Celtic - he's just pointless the majority of the time. Occasionally he will do something special but for the most part he's useless.

The only positive about this result so far is that Konno is actually playing this game (didn't play versus CIV) and I have him in my fantasy defence.

I do some magestic shit from time to time (played a blinder tonight), if only I had hair like Samaras :P

Guest Nikica

I do some magestic shit from time to time (played a blinder tonight), if only I had hair like Samaras :P

Were you playing earlier?

Are you a baldy? :happy:

Guest Nikica

Yes - beating Holland in the final.

I think if Holland top the group they can meet in the final. But if Holland finish second they would meet in the semi. Of course I am presuming Germany win group G.

That game was pretty low quality. Greece looked for the point, and it's hard to play against teams who defend so deep. However, Japan just didn't have the quality to break them down. A shame given they had players like Nagatomo, Uchida, Kagawa, Honda and Endo on the park.

They gave a stat at half time - Pirlo made 70 odd passes in the first half against us and only (I think) 33 today against Costa Rica. Basically, they're closing him down and we let him do whatever the hell he liked.

And that's the sign of a good coach with a carefully crafted strategy. You don't need the best and most expensive players in the world to build a great team or to achieve success. Costa Rica have the lowest valued team in the WC.