IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Best game of the tournament for me.

USA will have done a huge amount of good for the game over there, and really look like there are a few decent lads to build the future around. Very impressed with Yedlin, and the whole of their defence (especially Howard).

Mirallas has to start next game, as Mehrtens was crap. Really don't like Hazard either, seems like a bit of a sook.

Good luck in the next round Belgium, and I actually think they could do Argentina!

US epitaph, from American soccer writer Elliott Almond:

"It survived the Group of Death and had a chance, albeit slim, to advance to the quarterfinals. But here’s the bottom line:

Gritty as they were … as well coached as they were … the fightin’ Klinsmanns were outplayed by a substantial margin by Ghana, Germany and Belgium (for 90+ minutes).

The USMNT simply wasn’t good enough in the midfield. Whether that’s because Michael Bradley played poorly, or because Michael Bradley was playing out of position and played poorly, or because there is only one world class player on the roster — Howard — it doesn’t really matter.

What matters now is finding answers in the midfield before the summer of 2018."

I fully agree with this assessment. The continual inability to obtain and sustain possession outside of the Portugal game was a real killer.

The US keep saying they were in the group of death. The Netherlands-Chili-Spain-Australia and also Italy-Uruguay-England-Costa Rica are more deserving of that title to me! Obama kept saying that too 'group of death'. I guess that makes him look much better, typical politician as he is.

The US keep saying they were in the group of death. The Netherlands-Chili-Spain-Australia and also Italy-Uruguay-England-Costa Rica are more deserving of that title to me!

Yeah, I agree, the US group was very tough, but for me it was Italy, Uruguay, England, and CR; every team in that group should have been scared shitless seeing their draw, and congrats to the Ticos for winning it handily.

US epitaph, from American soccer writer Elliott Almond:

"It survived the Group of Death and had a chance, albeit slim, to advance to the quarterfinals. But here’s the bottom line:

Gritty as they were … as well coached as they were … the fightin’ Klinsmanns were outplayed by a substantial margin by Ghana, Germany and Belgium (for 90+ minutes).

The USMNT simply wasn’t good enough in the midfield. Whether that’s because Michael Bradley played poorly, or because Michael Bradley was playing out of position and played poorly, or because there is only one world class player on the roster — Howard — it doesn’t really matter.

What matters now is finding answers in the midfield before the summer of 2018."

I fully agree with this assessment. The continual inability to obtain and sustain possession outside of the Portugal game was a real killer.

Fully concur. We have grit and tenacity and fitness. And I love it to death, with tears in my eyes and the whole bit. But we don't have a midfield. And even though I'm broken by the loss--damn that game was entertaining. And I'm impressed by Yedlin, his tank was filled with high-octane-nothing-to-lose fuel. Howard has to be US's player of the tournament, trailed by Jones.

But hats off to Belgium. I hope they develop more cohesion their next game, they are gonna need it. I'm rooting for them.

I think Mirallas and Lukaku both looked like they had somethging to prove - in fairness their pace at that stage of a frantically played game was almost like putting a fresh Mike Tyson in the ring with Frank Bruno after Frank had just done 10 rounds with Lennox Lewis.

I take my hat off to all the players who completed 120 minutes last night - it was insane.

A bit of a drawback was that apparently, Belgian fans were asked to leave bars in the USA. Pity. Here in Belgium, everyone seemed to be nice and welcoming to US fans :/

I find that incredibly hard to believe unless the fans were being absolute dicks, which I also find hard to believe

Edited by Matt

I find that incredibly hard to believe unless the fans were being absolute dicks, which I also find hard to believe

Small town bars, maybe they hav a more grim atmosphere. The fans didn't know whether it was just unfriendliness or perhaps a move to protect them, sicne the game wasn't going well for the US.

Edited by Mirallas

Small town bars, maybe they hav a more grim atmosphere. The fans didn't know whether it was just unfriendliness or perhaps a move to protect them, sicne the game wasn't going well for the US.

Ive been in the city bars, Ive been in small town bars, Ive been in redneck bars in the wilderness - they dont react unless provoked in my experience

You got a link for this?

Ive been in the city bars, Ive been in small town bars, Ive been in redneck bars in the wilderness - they dont react unless provoked in my experience

You got a link for this?

Facebook, but there's also been a Belgian journalist who's been kicked out of a bar: http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/16076/De-Rode-Duivels/article/detail/1933759/2014/07/02/Onze-Hollywood-redactrice-uit-bar-gezet-omdat-ze-voor-Duivels-supporterde.dhtml

A bit of a drawback was that apparently, Belgian fans were asked to leave bars in the USA. Pity. Here in Belgium, everyone seemed to be nice and welcoming to US fans :/

Utterly shameful. But I could see some bar-owner thinking s/he was doing the "right thing" by preventing a fight and/or some tired nod to patriotism. Neither is excusable.