IGNORED

World Cup...

Guest Nikica

Poor game so far. Mirallas by far Belgium best player so far, at least in an attacking capacity. Origi, Hazard and De Bruyne have been very subdued.

Argentina have been crap too in truth but they have had a chance and taken it. Still anyone's game if either team can be arsed to put any effort into it.

Just my luck... Belgium were average all the way through the group, then they played like world beaters against the US, now they have looked very mediocre against Argentina again...

I don't think Belgium changed. It's more pointing out the fact that the US team is not very good. They ran on effort, commitment, and enthusiasm, not on ability.

I don't think Belgium changed. It's more pointing out the fact that the US team is not very good. They ran on effort, commitment, and enthusiasm, not on ability.

Don't think you're right here. Belgium was unimpressive against Russia, Algeria, and South Korea, which are all inferior opponents to the US. Nice try though.

Don't think you're right here. Belgium was unimpressive against Russia, Algeria, and South Korea, which are all inferior opponents to the US. Nice try though.

They were all much better organised than the US though. You guys played very open and left yourself incredibly vulnerable to counter attacks, whereas those sides and Argentina played as a much more compact bloc. I think Algeria and Russia might actually have more intrinsic talent than the US too to be honest.

Tim Krul reprehensible in that. Was behind any European team but I hope they lose to Argentina now.

Why did the ref do nothing about it?

I suggested an answer a while back:

Final four will be no surprise: Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany.

It's what all the world's network channels want to see. There's an awful lot of money riding on it.

Well Belgium lost in the quarter finals, which i would say is probably Belgium's "correct" place to end a WC. But too bad Argentina killed the game after the first goal. I think they were second best after the opening phase. The commentators were worshipping Messi again btw, but he was mediocre.

I suggested an answer a while back:

Cornish Steve, on 29 Jun 2014 - 20:21, said:snapback.png

Final four will be no surprise: Brazil, Netherlands, Argentina, Germany.

It's what all the world's network channels want to see. There's an awful lot of money riding on it.

Winner Finalist 3rd 4th

Allemagne Pays-Bas Argentine Brésil

One of my predictions. If the semi's go my way, I stand to make a nice profit :)

Origi looks nowhere near as good as a starter.

Completely agree. Pace and power against a tired defence he looks ace, bit clueless and (again) not really given chances to feed off.

Sounds familiar...

Personally I thought Origi was outstanding against USA from the start, had 2 men on him most of the time and he was very good at keeping ball and was sharp and caused them headaches.

Based on Lukaku coming on against a more "tired" argentine team, he offered zero...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/06/divock-origi-better-than-chelseas-romelu-lukaku-says-michael-owe/

whether he is better or not is open to debate, I believe Origi to have a better touch game and overall more "team effectiveness" - Lukaku can possibly be the better battering ram. However Origi is £8m approx, Lukaku is £20m+, for my money Origi represents far better value and less risk.

Personally I thought Origi was outstanding against USA from the start, had 2 men on him most of the time and he was very good at keeping ball and was sharp and caused them headaches.

Based on Lukaku coming on against a more "tired" argentine team, he offered zero...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/07/06/divock-origi-better-than-chelseas-romelu-lukaku-says-michael-owe/

whether he is better or not is open to debate, I believe Origi to have a better touch game and overall more "team effectiveness" - Lukaku can possibly be the better battering ram. However Origi is £8m approx, Lukaku is £20m+, for my money Origi represents far better value and less risk.

and this is why I dont want to sign people off the back of a major target, it blurs peoples judgement. In a couple of games hes blown hot and cold, how is that better value and less risk than someone who has proven he can score for fun in the Premiership?

and this is why I dont want to sign people off the back of a major target, it blurs peoples judgement. In a couple of games hes blown hot and cold, how is that better value and less risk than someone who has proven he can score for fun in the Premiership?

Origi is 19, 2 years younger than Romelu. From an assessment perspective he is a better all round footballer, he really is, his touch is assured, he links play better, has tremndous pace and strength.

I don't think Lukaku can score "for fun" - he has proven he can finish, no question 15 goals 2 seasons in a row says that, Rickie Lambert has had a simiular return.

Origi will score in the prem, no doubt in my mind whatsoever, because he hasn't had the chancfe doesn't mean he won't, he has got the lot. £8m really is a steal.

Origi is 19, 2 years younger than Romelu. From an assessment perspective he is a better all round footballer, he really is, his touch is assured, he links play better, has tremndous pace and strength.

I don't think Lukaku can score "for fun" - he has proven he can finish, no question 15 goals 2 seasons in a row says that, Rickie Lambert has had a simiular return.

Origi will score in the prem, no doubt in my mind whatsoever, because he hasn't had the chancfe doesn't mean he won't, he has got the lot. £8m really is a steal.

wont argue there, but saying he is less of a risk doesnt make any sense considering his performances in a handful of games in the world cup (I maintain my believe that you cannot judge a player on a few games, especially so young).

For me Origi is a gamble, but at 8-10m would be a gamble worth taking.

wont argue there, but saying he is less of a risk doesnt make any sense considering his performances in a handful of games in the world cup (I maintain my believe that you cannot judge a player on a few games, especially so young).

For me Origi is a gamble, but at 8-10m would be a gamble worth taking.

I actually think at £20m+ Lukaku is a risk. If we spend that much on him it limits where else we can spend money. He is not consistent, 1 goals in 11 games showed that. It wasn't just the lack of gaols in those games, he offers little in the way of link up play and ball retention, in short he wasa bit of a liability, we were just waiting for him to get a chance.

My fear is that Lukaku has exposed his weaknesses, Rio ferdinand was quite telling in the fact that he said he watched centre forwards who he would play against and know how to play them - stand off, mark tight etc etc. He said you can mark players with weaknesses, players like Rodriquez and Suarez can hurt you whatever you decide. I honestly feel defenders will have worked Lukaku out.

I actually think at £20m+ Lukaku is a risk. If we spend that much on him it limits where else we can spend money. He is not consistent, 1 goals in 11 games showed that. It wasn't just the lack of gaols in those games, he offers little in the way of link up play and ball retention, in short he wasa bit of a liability, we were just waiting for him to get a chance.

My fear is that Lukaku has exposed his weaknesses, Rio ferdinand was quite telling in the fact that he said he watched centre forwards who he would play against and know how to play them - stand off, mark tight etc etc. He said you can mark players with weaknesses, players like Rodriquez and Suarez can hurt you whatever you decide. I honestly feel defenders will have worked Lukaku out.

Will take this back to the Lukaku thread, working on something.

Will take this back to the Lukaku thread, working on something.

regarding the world cup its been very interesting looking at the Mourinho players.... Two players he has had criticisms of:- Lukaku and Hazard have been poor. Contray to this his trusted boys Schurrle and Oscar have been squad players who have added value to their teams, Oscar moving out wide to accomodate Neymar - who I believe once given the number 10 role will showcase his amazing talents.

In short, I think Mourinho knows what and why his players are valuable to their teams.

I don't think you really understand risk. Origi is a risk because he hasn't proven himself, at any level as far as I am aware, and whilst I think he has plenty of potential we are talking about 10 mil on a guy that hhasn't scored a goal in the league. Yet on the other hand you are saying the guy who has scored 15+ goals in 2 seasons is a risk at £15-20mil and that is without taking free kicks or pens unlike the comparison you made with Lambert. Lukaku is not a risk. You get what you pay for but you won't get any more.

regarding the world cup its been very interesting looking at the Mourinho players.... Two players he has had criticisms of:- Lukaku and Hazard have been poor. Contray to this his trusted boys Schurrle and Oscar have been squad players who have added value to their teams, Oscar moving out wide to accomodate Neymar - who I believe once given the number 10 role will showcase his amazing talents.

In short, I think Mourinho knows what and why his players are valuable to their teams.

Bar The first game Oscar has been poor as he was in the 2nd half of the season. SHurrle hasn't been great on the whole, but he has had an impact from the bench, although he didn't start that often for Chelsea anyway. Poor argument.