IGNORED

Samuel Eto'o

Class was never in question. Once he decided to sign for us on less than was available elsewhere that put attitude to bed. The only real question, and the one that remains, is fitness. He's already had one injury and that came after a 20 minute cameo. No question we won't get 90 minutes out of him week in week out, and I for one doubt we'll get more than a handful of 90 minute performances out of him full stop. Completely see him as a 30 minute player, and there's no problem with that. The best return for everyone is probably in keeping him fit so that he can come on and terrorize teams for 30 minutes. With Lukaku, Naismisth and (fingers crossed) Kone, we've got a formidable battering ram to soften defenses up, besides which Eto'o brings a completely different threat.

Again it comes down to be able to see a player "instantly". That I have seen. There's no need to wait on judgment... I'll say it time and time again I can tell a players ability straight away.

The best among us are those willing to admit that once we were wrong. I'd take the Cotto who admitted he was wrong about McCarthy any day over the Cotto who claims to tell a player's ability instantly.

Mario Balotelli was all smiles and happy tears and all that upon his return to Milan. That fell apart quickly. I've been incredibly happy that Eto'o has dispelled all concerns... SO FAR. Right now it's the honeymoon phase. Let's see if it lasts. I'm optimistic it does, but I don't think this is a closed case.

Mario Balotelli was all smiles and happy tears and all that upon his return to Milan. That fell apart quickly. I've been incredibly happy that Eto'o has dispelled all concerns... SO FAR. Right now it's the honeymoon phase. Let's see if it lasts. I'm optimistic it does, but I don't think this is a closed case.

Samuel eto and Mario balotelli don't even belong in the same sentance.

Eto has never been anything other than a goalscoring phenomenon who may have a strong opinion but just look at what he has achieved. Balotelli on the other hand is a loose cannon who has no regard for the team he plays for.

Eto will be fine as long as things are fine, just in the way Southall was, just in the way Roy Keane was, like many other winners are.

Samuel eto and Mario balotelli don't even belong in the same sentance.

Eto has never been anything other than a goalscoring phenomenon who may have a strong opinion but just look at what he has achieved. Balotelli on the other hand is a loose cannon who has no regard for the team he plays for.

Eto will be fine as long as things are fine, just in the way Southall was, just in the way Roy Keane was, like many other winners are.

I very clearly wasn't comparing the two players in terms of attitude or accomplishments or anything like that. I was merely pointing out how everyone being in love with each other three weeks in can be short-lived.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still not 100% certain that things will be fine if he's on the bench two months from now and rumors are floating about how a team in MLS or Turkey is prepared to offer him double the money. This is a guy who spent prime years of his career fucking around in Russia for the money. I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone's skepticism to fully disappear just because of a few nice plays off the bench and because he's smiling a couple weeks in. But I definitely feel much better about him than I did when he first signed.

Edited by thoward18

I very clearly wasn't comparing the two players in terms of attitude or accomplishments or anything like that. I was merely pointing out how everyone being in love with each other three weeks in can be short-lived.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm still not 100% certain that things will be fine if he's on the bench two months from now and rumors are floating about how a team in MLS or Turkey is prepared to offer him double the money. This is a guy who spent prime years of his career fucking around in Russia for the money. I think it's unreasonable to expect everyone's skepticism to fully disappear just because of a few nice plays off the bench and because he's smiling a couple weeks in. But I definitely feel much better about him than I did when he first signed.

He moved for £20m net in wages per year, it's not like he hadn't won anything and did what Defoe did and moved to Canada without much on his CV.

Do I blame him? Not really, he apparently does a lot for charity in his homeland so he could be seen as playing for them. What more could he achieve in Spain or Italy?. He took a 50% wage cut to go to Chelsea.

Anyhow he's ours now, he looks the business and is a winner.

• 1 month later...

So now we've seen what he can do given the opportunity.

I've always wondered why Martinez had been reluctant to play him. (Anyone else?) He hasn't seen a lot of football here. Hopefully this is the start of a nailed first 11 starting birth.

I don't think his legs will let that become a reality mate. I hope to god I'm wrong but I think 2 games in 2 games out as sub is best we can hope for.

I don't think his legs will let that become a reality mate. I hope to god I'm wrong but I think 2 games in 2 games out as sub is best we can hope for.

Yeh I suppose that's what we knew/thought when we signed him. However In terms of fitness he's a lot fitter than say Pienaar.

So now we've seen what he can do given the opportunity.

I've always wondered why Martinez had been reluctant to play him. (Anyone else?) He hasn't seen a lot of football here. Hopefully this is the start of a nailed first 11 starting birth.

He's not going to have a nailed starting berth though, he was never going to no matter how many games he had like today.

The key will be deciding which games are the right ones to start him in, and which ones he needs to be on the bench for and be an impact player.

He's not going to have a nailed starting berth though, he was never going to no matter how many games he had like today.

The key will be deciding which games are the right ones to start him in, and which ones he needs to be on the bench for and be an impact player.

I could understand that if we were a side like Chelsea with a big squad and like for like replacements. But he really has shown he's still a lot better than the majority we've got here.

My main point is; Martinez hasn't played him enough IMO

Yeh I suppose that's what we knew/thought when we signed him. However In terms of fitness he's a lot fitter than say Pienaar.

Yep and that's why I said I hope I'm wrong. I mean look at Distin, he's been phenominal. Could we be lucky enough to get another Distin because if he can stay even close to Distins fitness for the next 2 seasons he should be first name on the team sheet every game.

I've said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again now. This guy is one of the best players ever to pull an Everton shirt on EVER! And certainly THE best ever in recent times.

You shod of seen him today after the game MC as he was walking off the whole away and was chanting "ETO ETO" and I mean the whole end and he looked and applauded us and you could just tell he was fucking buzzing and a bit overwhelmed.

See where he's played football, the likes of Barca, Chelsea etc expect that from their players and they have that many superstars it's no big deal when a player plays like that. Here he is valued and adored and you could tell it had hit him just how appreciative the fans were of him.

He gave the badge a little pull as he walked off as well. Everton are most definitely touching the lad.

Yep and that's why I said I hope I'm wrong. I mean look at Distin, he's been phenominal. Could we be lucky enough to get another Distin because if he can stay even close to Distins fitness for the next 2 seasons he should be first name on the team sheet every game.

I've said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again now. This guy is one of the best players ever to pull an Everton shirt on EVER! And certainly THE best ever in recent times.

You shod of seen him today after the game MC as he was walking off the whole away and was chanting "ETO ETO" and I mean the whole end and he looked and applauded us and you could just tell he was fucking buzzing and a bit overwhelmed.

See where he's played football, the likes of Barca, Chelsea etc expect that from their players and they have that many superstars it's no big deal when a player plays like that. Here he is valued and adored and you could tell it had hit him just how appreciative the fans were of him.

He gave the badge a little pull as he walked off as well. Everton are most definitely touching the lad.

Love this post.

This, however the lads 33, not 43, a lot of people moaning about his age. Its not the be all and end all, he's arguably one of the worlds greatest ever strikers, you can lose pace and stamina, but not ability overnight, the best players improvise, adapt and overcome, and we have a very very special player at Everton in Samuel Eto'o. IMO I think he could still start 25-30 games a season unphased, he, to me, dosnt look unfit what so ever. Drogba is 36, Di Natalie is 37, Totti is 38 for Christ sake, all of the aforementioned players are in the same ability category as Eto'o, and yet he's the youngest.

If he doesn't get a year extension at the end of his current contract I'll be surprised. He will be pivotal to CL football, on the pitch and off.

Just been reading this thread from the first post.

Laughed at how many thought it would be a bad idea and the names he was being called.

I think only a few liked the idea of him coming....the rest were strictly no!

But best of all was this from Romey, are we on 3 goals now?.....

If he scores more than 8 league goals I'll donate £50 to the TT fund.

This, however the lads 33, not 43, a lot of people moaning about his age. Its not the be all and end all, he's arguably one of the worlds greatest ever strikers, you can lose pace and stamina, but not ability overnight, the best players improvise, adapt and overcome, and we have a very very special player at Everton in Samuel Eto'o. IMO I think he could still start 25-30 games a season unphased, he, to me, dosnt look unfit what so ever. Drogba is 36, Di Natalie is 37, Totti is 38 for Christ sake, all of the aforementioned players are in the same ability category as Eto'o, and yet he's the youngest.

If he doesn't get a year extension at the end of his current contract I'll be surprised. He will be pivotal to CL football, on the pitch and off.

Tbf, I hadn't mentioned his age being a reason for that. It's just obvious that he was brought in so that we can rotate up front and not run Lukaku into the ground like we had to do last season, and that was with less games.

Whatever age he is, there'd be games when what he brings to the table is more suited to starting (whether with Lukaku or in place of him) and games when it's more suited he comes on later in a game.

Just been reading this thread from the first post.

Laughed at how many thought it would be a bad idea and the names he was being called.

I think only a few liked the idea of him coming....the rest were strictly no!

But best of all was this from Romey, are we on 3 goals now?.....

I already mentioned this in the match day thread earlier, keep up!

Yep, 3, so another 6 to go.

It is. Like I said in the match day thread, I'm very pleased it looks like I'll be paying out.

:D

And if he does get 9+ goals what a signing. It'll mean we've had a good season because I don't see him playing as regular as we'd like. But a bit dangerous looking too far ahead....!!!

Tbf, I hadn't mentioned his age being a reason for that. It's just obvious that he was brought in so that we can rotate up front and not run Lukaku into the ground like we had to do last season, and that was with less games.

Whatever age he is, there'd be games when what he brings to the table is more suited to starting (whether with Lukaku or in place of him) and games when it's more suited he comes on later in a game.

I do apologise, I was agreeing with your post and then digressing on what others had been saying.