IGNORED

New strategy is emerging

This transfer window, for me, has provided a glimpse of Everton's long-term strategy. Just think about it: Other than signing Gareth Barry (an interim measure for three years), we've been bringing in a bunch of talented youngsters. Why do this?

1) We can buy great talent at lower prices when they are young. It's more risky, because they may not pan out, but it's a great way to buy future stars at a lower price.

2) The goal is to build a team, ranging in age today from 18 to 23, that will potentially stay together for a decade. If this is indeed the case, I would expect to see these young players develop together so they are ready to become our first team in about three years' time.

3) As part of this strategy, there will probably be a transition plan for having these youngsters slowly but surely take the place of our older players: Jagielka, Distin, Pienaar, Howard, ...

4) With a strong and stable core, our dependence on the transfer market would be greatly reduced. We will have made the key decisions today, not in three or four years' time.

The key to any strategy is staying focused, keeping the vision in mind whenever any important decision is made.

Once Henin is on board, we would appear to have most positions on the team covered by one of these youngsters waiting in the wings. I'm sure we'll be using the League Cup, and possibly even one or two games in the Europa League, as a way to give them solid competitive experience.

What positions do we have covered and which remain to be covered by another youngster? Right now, we have Stanek, Stones, Oviedo, Galloway, McCarthy, Barkley, Besic, Lukaku, Henin, and Atsu (assuming the goal is to keep him). Should Browning and Garbutt be added to the list?

This might sound stupid but isn't that what we have been doing for years and years? Besic is young but he is going to be playing in the first team with Lukaku so they're not really ones for the future as they're for the present.

Galloway is going to be playing in reserves but apart from that not sure which other people we can say would get in the Everton team in a couple of years who we have bought this transfer market?

I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering that's all. I do know what you mean that we will have a young squad but we will always be buying new players who can walk straight into the first team squad as well. I don't think I am getting my point across well here either.

I guess I mean yes we can buy youngsters in for the U21 squad and try to build for the future but at the same time we will always be buying more players who can walk into the first team straight away which at will also halt players progress. Like when we got rid of Fellaini - we get McCarthy, Barry. Jelavic - Kone, Lukaku, Traore. Also out of the U18, U21 squad most of them are English (which is great) but how many would get into the first team in 3 years time? I don't know a lot about the U21, U18 but when Rodwell, Rooney, Barkley, Vaughan and Baxter were all progressing there was a lot of hype surrounding each of them but I haven't heard anything else about anyone.

Maybe it is just me being cynical but I just don't see anything changing drastically in the next 3 years except a few players getting into the first team but apart from that we would still be relying on transfers.

P.S

I think I have just talked a lot of winny wanny there, trying to get my point across but failing.

This might sound stupid but isn't that what we have been doing for years and years? Besic is young but he is going to be playing in the first team with Lukaku so they're not really ones for the future as they're for the present.

Galloway is going to be playing in reserves but apart from that not sure which other people we can say would get in the Everton team in a couple of years who we have bought this transfer market?

I'm not disagreeing with you just wondering that's all. I do know what you mean that we will have a young squad but we will always be buying new players who can walk straight into the first team squad as well. I don't think I am getting my point across well here either.

I guess I mean yes we can buy youngsters in for the U21 squad and try to build for the future but at the same time we will always be buying more players who can walk into the first team straight away which at will also halt players progress. Like when we got rid of Fellaini - we get McCarthy, Barry. Jelavic - Kone, Lukaku, Traore. Also out of the U18, U21 squad most of them are English (which is great) but how many would get into the first team in 3 years time? I don't know a lot about the U21, U18 but when Rodwell, Rooney, Barkley, Vaughan and Baxter were all progressing there was a lot of hype surrounding each of them but I haven't heard anything else about anyone.

Maybe it is just me being cynical but I just don't see anything changing drastically in the next 3 years except a few players getting into the first team but apart from that we would still be relying on transfers.

P.S

I think I have just talked a lot of winny wanny there, trying to get my point across but failing.

:rofl:

Nah, I got your point, and I agree with it. We've been a club that's looked to youngsters and our academy for a long time, it's not a change of strategy at all. It's just that maybe we're having more success with that strategy now? Which is understandable - the longer you do something, the better at it you'd think you'd get.

I dont think Steve meant players for the academy alone, I think he meant the likes of McCarthy, Besic, Lukaku young players who will be around for a while. thats what I thought he meant anyway.

As long as we win on Saturday I dont care.

I know he didn't, that's why I said youngsters and our academy. Let's not forget Moyes signed Jags, Baines, Arteta when they were still in their early twenties - maybe not as young as what we're seeing now, but it was a concerted effort to lower the age of the playing squad. It's nothing new.

I get what you're saying too. I think all clubs (well virtually all cough cough Chelsea) use this strategy. It makes sense to blood youngsters and hope they come good enough to be first team regulars, it's effectively getting a player for free (well not entirely but you get my point)

The problem is, out of how many youth players do we get first team players? The answer is not many. For every Osman there scores of players that just are not good enough to make the grade. The Rooneys, Barkleys etc are even rarer. There is countless young hopefuls going on and off our books over the years but the harsh reality is not many make it to senior level and are moved on to "lesser" for want of a better word clubs.

So while that conveyor belt keeps churning on we have to bring in new first team players to replace what needs replacing as the youth system cannot keep up with or provide the replacements we need. It's just a never ending cycle really and in short I agree, we have brought in Galloway and hopefully Hennen but that's not really unusual for us and we've been bringing in young talent poached from lower league clubs for years.

Edited by Paddock

It is different now. Yes, teams have a youth academy and bring through younger players, and Everton has done this. But look at the difference between the current transfer window and the previous ones. Before, it was a matter of bolstering the team in the short term. Now it's consciously different. Other than converting Gareth Barry from a loan to a transfer, every single player brought in is young. Moreover, not one of our solid young players left the club, despite there being speculation in the press. Before it was doing what everyone else does; now, it seems, there is a conscious strategy to build a legacy around this core of young players.

When you look at the transfer dealings of other teams, players were brought in for the here and now - and are of all ages. That is not true for Everton. Players are being brought in to build a long-term legacy. It's as if there's a filter in place that's used to decide which players to bring in. It's not just about today; it seems equally focused on tomorrow.

We're doing what we have always done and what every club in the league does and has always done: try to keep your best players, try to sign players ready to contribute now and try to sign players that might contribute later (in case Cornish doesn't know about the youngsters we signed when Moyes was still managing here, I think we got Matthew Kennedy, John Stones and Ben McLaughlin in his last window in charge of Everton, didn't we?).

The problem is, out of how many youth players do we get first team players? The answer is not many. For every Osman there scores of players that just are not good enough to make the grade. The Rooneys, Barkleys etc are even rarer. There is countless young hopefuls going on and off our books over the years but the harsh reality is not many make it to senior level and are moved on to "lesser" for want of a better word clubs.

This. The stats on our academy and other prem teams academies would be interesting but i'm guessing they would back up Paddock's comment here. Look at the current crop Duffy, Lundstram, McAleny, Kennedy, Long, etc are all great and we hope for the best but they aren't worldbeaters. Might be bit part players at best.

I think having a larger transfer budget and doing the Chelsea tactic combined with the academy would be the best scenario.

Why did we give McAleny a new three year deal at 22 when it doesn't look like he's any closer to being a genuine part of the first team than he was last year btw?

1. Theres a player in there who is developing late because of injuries.

2. Don't lose him for nothing.

Good post. Definitely in line with what we should have been doing. While Moyes did bring down the overall playing age of the squad I feel that this current strategy is getting more recognition because Martinez is willing to take on the risk that comes with playing younger players than Moyes was comfortable with.

Continuing that strategy will be wholly dependent on what progress we make this season. Make good progress then we'll be able to keep Ross, Rom, Stones. Stutter and the offers will come in for those players.

Good post. Definitely in line with what we should have been doing. While Moyes did bring down the overall playing age of the squad I feel that this current strategy is getting more recognition because Martinez is willing to take on the risk that comes with playing younger players than Moyes was comfortable with.

Continuing that strategy will be wholly dependent on what progress we make this season. Make good progress then we'll be able to keep Ross, Rom, Stones. Stutter and the offers will come in for those players.

To be fair, Martinez inherited quite an old first team. Howard, Baines, Jagielka, Disin, Pienaar and Osman are all 30 and older (Baines 29 like but close enough) that's over half a team.

Since, Lukaku, Besic, Mcarthey add to this the emergence of Stones and Barkley ( which was all Martinez doing) then really he's turned the core of our team from old(ish) to a young one.

So looking at it that way, Steve, you're spot on mate.

I think others (myself included) have thought you meant buying youth for the rezzies, although he has but we've always done that but the turn around in the age of our senior players is remarkable when you look at it.

Edited by Paddock

Don't think anyones arguing with that but over half the first team over 30 isn't good. Now the nucleus of the first team is vibrant and young. Our spine is all early 20s and all already experienced internationals. With a few older more wiser and experienced heads in and around them the future is a lot brighter than it was 2 years ago.

Martinez is just doing what Moyes had to do when he first came in. Moyes built a young side that would stay together for a decade and now their time is over and Martinez is just repeating the process.

There's no new strategy here. Just common sense.

He is showing a lot more emphasis on our own youth though Romney, something Moyes was never keen to do.

Yes replacing older players with younger ones is just the norm and obviously all clubs do it but he's giving our youth a chance. You only have to look at Stones and Barkley to see the difference in approach he's bringing.

I think that there are lots of different variables between the Moyes and Martinez transfer dealings...

Under Moyes, we were not as established as we are now, we can attract a different calibre of player due to our constant top 6 positions (largely thanks to Moyes)

Moyes did try to bring through young players,he showed plenty of Faith in big Vic/rodwell not to mention Osman/Hibbert and Rooney.

He bought younger players and generally bought well - Stones is his purchase lets not forget and had he stayed another year I'm sure barkley would have gotten time. He didn't have the luxury of the extra 25 money and he is responsible for a lot of the transfer kitty we have had available(Arteta/Felli).

Don't get me wrong, I'm delighted with the signings we have made and the path we are on, I just don't think it's too different to what we are doing now, we just have more funds available.

He is showing a lot more emphasis on our own youth though Romney, something Moyes was never keen to do.

Yes replacing older players with younger ones is just the norm and obviously all clubs do it but he's giving our youth a chance. You only have to look at Stones and Barkley to see the difference in approach he's bringing.

Moyes brought Youth through too! It's a myth he didn't.

Martinez hasn't really brought anyone through as of yet. Barkley is head and shoulders above anything we've had in recent years and was always going to progress into the first team. Stones was bought 6 months prior to Martinez taking over. So far he's brought 2 "bankers" into the first team. So I ain't shining his arse for bringing youth through just yet. The youth he has playing in the first team are arguabley Moyes's

Who?

Maybe an odd game sat on the bench or a game in a dead European tie or when injuries bit deep, but I'm struggling to think of anyone who came through from youth to regular first teamer.

Me too.

He had Barkley on the bench and wouldn't play him, look at him now. He actually bought stones and done the same.

Who?

Maybe an odd game sat on the bench or a game in a dead European tie or when injuries bit deep, but I'm struggling to think of anyone who came through from youth to regular first teamer.

Anichebe

Vaughan

Rodwell

Rooney

Osman

Hibbert

There were other like Nick Chadwick he gave them a go. Unfortunately they just wernt as good as Barkley and Dtones

Not sure how you can struggle...

Edited by MiguelCotto

The problem is, out of how many youth players do we get first team players? The answer is not many.

The last figure I saw was from all Premier League academy's approx 2% of the players will have a career in the top flight. If we have 25 players in the under 21s chances are 0.5 players will make it in the Premier League. So if one player makes it though you have bucked the trend.

When it comes to young players I tend not to hold much hope, we have Ross and Stones who will make it, I know we bought Stones but he still had to get through, they came through in the last two years between them, ahead of the average, if another comes through this season it would almost be a miracle. Garbutt has a chance, but with Baines and Oviedo he might have to wait another couple of years.

I dont expect much to come from McAleny, Lundstrum, Browning, these seem to be the most advanced of the other young players, I just think they haven't shown enough yet to make it in the modern game. The late bloomer doesnt happen as much as in the past in with the need for instant success. I honestly believe if a player isnt pushing into the first team before hes 20 he probably never will as clubs will just buy another foreign import rather than wait for another year or two of development.

Moyes brought Youth through too! It's a myth he didn't.

Martinez hasn't really brought anyone through as of yet. Barkley is head and shoulders above anything we've had in recent years and was always going to progress into the first team. Stones was bought 6 months prior to Martinez taking over. So far he's brought 2 "bankers" into the first team. So I ain't shining his arse for bringing youth through just yet. The youth he has playing in the first team are arguabley Moyes's

Kevin Sheedy would disagree with you on that. He was a guy in the position to know.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/26614180

Edited by StevO

The last figure I saw was from all Premier League academy's approx 2% of the players will have a career in the top flight. If we have 25 players in the under 21s chances are 0.5 players will make it in the Premier League. So if one player makes it though you have bucked the trend.

When it comes to young players I tend not to hold much hope, we have Ross and Stones who will make it, I know we bought Stones but he still had to get through, they came through in the last two years between them, ahead of the average, if another comes through this season it would almost be a miracle. Garbutt has a chance, but with Baines and Oviedo he might have to wait another couple of years.

I dont expect much to come from McAleny, Lundstrum, Browning, these seem to be the most advanced of the other young players, I just think they haven't shown enough yet to make it in the modern game. The late bloomer doesnt happen as much as in the past in with the need for instant success. I honestly believe if a player isnt pushing into the first team before hes 20 he probably never will as clubs will just buy another foreign import rather than wait for another year or two of development.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

You could even look down the years at players who did come through but still flopped. Barlow, Jevons, Jeffers, Cadetmatei, all spring to mind and thats not even pausing for 5 minutes to think about it.

The harsh reality is you have to be exceptional to make it through the ranks and stay there and only a very small minority are.

Edit I gave myself rep here I meant to rep Steves post below and it won't let me rescind it so I'm not some saddo who reps himself :P

Edited by Paddock

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

You could even look down the years at players who did come through but still flopped. Barlow, Jevons, Jeffers, Cadetmatei, all spring to mind and thats not even pausing for 5 minutes to think about it.

The harsh reality is you have to be exceptional to make it through the ranks and stay there and only a very small minority are.

Completely agree, we have a lot of young players who go on to make a good career out of the game, I think thats important too. I'd hate to be one of the lads who is with an academy all their childhood and then gets dropped at 18. But if they can go onto to stay in the game then that has to be seen as a positive, even if it isnt with the club.

But the difference from being a good player in the Championship, to making it to the Premier League is only a small margin but its a level that not many get to.

Anichebe

Vaughan

Rodwell

Rooney

Osman

Hibbert

There were other like Nick Chadwick he gave them a go. Unfortunately they just wernt as good as Barkley and Dtones

Not sure how you can struggle...

The only two of those who came through to be regular first teamers are Hibbert and Osman, and they were both twenty one when Moyes took over, so hardly youths.