IGNORED

James McCarthy

Agree with both, but one thing he can still learn and has to a good degree is positioning and ball winning ability. Not ideal but Barry can do it and he's 10years his senior

Totally agree. Experience has a massive effect on a midfielder.

Barry has got better as the years have gone by. McCarthy could do the same.

Barry is a midfield version of Terry never been quick but his reading of the game has been up there with the best mids this leagues seen over the years

I don't think you can compare McCarthy with him really even with more experience down the line etc if you mixed them both together you'd have Gerrard

Edited by EFC-Paul

Barry has always been notoriously slow.

so then mobility isn't that big an issue if you know how to read the game, right?

Edit: Paul, like I said I'm clutching at straws here, but what was Terry or Barry like at 24? Reading the game comes with experience and McCarthy had more than most at his age, by quite a way. I don't want to write him off, even if I understand and agree with all of the arguments for doing so

Edited by Matt

so then mobility isn't that big an issue if you know how to read the game, right?

Edit: Paul, like I said I'm clutching at straws here, but what was Terry or Barry like at 24? Reading the game comes with experience and McCarthy had more than most at his age, by quite a way. I don't want to write him off, even if I understand and agree with all of the arguments for doing so

read Haf's post above. mccarthy is a jobber, his biggest strength is running, take that away and he's an Ok player but nothing special. his vision has never been great so why would it magically improve now?

Barry has always had good vision because he's had to because he's slow. mccarthy isn't magically gonna turn into a barry. he's done for and should be sold.

Not aimed at your comment mate that's always been my assesment of his abilities

He's a very underrated player exceptional in his first season but as Dunc said I don't think we will see the same player again due to his injuries and the effect multiple hamstring problems have on players, hope I'm wrong but its a game of chance if someone does offer us decent money

Experience has nothing to do with magic. It's am accumulative of life's experiences.

McCarthy can improve as can any player...or should we get rid of Lukaku now he has reached his peak?

we shouldnt, but we also shouldnt expect his first touch to improve magically overnight. in ten years will he be able to bring a ball down without bouncing 30 feet off him? possibly, but it won't happen in his tenure with everton i don't think.

just like mccarthy won't turn into a visionary in 2 years. i just think the tools he needs to get his game up a level are missing, and the one thing that made up for it is partially gone (speed). not worth trying to fix that sinking ship, better to sell and let stoke deal with it. if they are the only ones interested he can't have every been that good either.

Barry has always been a cultured footballer. A very good centre half, great free kick delivery.

With all due respect to Mccarthy he's a physical player.

Expecting mccarthy to become a deep lying play breaker who intercepts and pings balls around is like Michael Owen losing his pace and him expecting to become an Alan Shearer line leader.

I recall Peter Reid losing his legs... wasn't good. Mccarthy isn't as talented a player as he was.

Barry has always been a cultured footballer. A very good centre half, great free kick delivery.

Expecting mccarthy to become a deep lying play breaker who intercepts and pings balls around is like Michael Owen losing his pace and him expecting to become an Alan Shearer line leader.

I recall Peter Reid losing his legs... wasn't good. Mccarthy isn't as talented a player as he was.

spot on.

Can't agree enough with all of this. Barry has that intelligence about his place that saves him 2 yards of pace in most situations.

As said his hamstrings look to have taken his strongest attributes away and if we get an offer id take it.

What gave McCarthy his edge was his mobility - I said when we got him that he would give us what Fellaini couldn't and that was a snapping "mobile" presence in midfield rather than a 6ft5 non specific midfielder who jogged around like a basketball player.

Fellaini was one of the most dribbled past players in the league - whilst he was a good goal threat he wasn't a midfielder.

McCarthy's mobility made a night and day difference to the team, he could cover the full back using great acceleration against wingers - had the stamina to do the same in the centre. Without that pace and ability to change direction that he had I do not think he is worth keeping - not for the potential money we could get. Witsel would be an upgrade albeit very similar in a "boring" sense.

Witsel is a much better "footballer" than McCarthy. The difference is night and day. Witsel can go past players and operate further up the field as well as sitting deep and breaking up play. He can "go both ways".

Barry & McCarthy have limited us massively in the middle of the park. They aren't good enough it's as simple as that.

ill take your word on it, wasn't paying Barry much attention when he was younger

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't say I was exactly over excited at the prospect but MCCarthy looks finished so wouldn't be a loss

not convinced. He'll have to change his approach but Koeman basically said that's exactly what he expects. Think he could be redeveloped - he's training and playing with one of the best in Barry, and he's still young.