IGNORED

Building a team round specific players?

It's clear based on the current squad that certain players are shoe ins for their position. Mcarthy Baines lukaku etc. there are also obviously players who this season haven't lived up to the previous year mirrales Howard jags. The two points I think that have hurt us this in terms of approach is giving the workman type players a game irrelevant of form Barry Naismith jags and dropping more enigmatic players based on form barkley miirrales. I agree with picking in form but players but it has to be consistent or it sends the wrong message.

In my opinion if you drop Barry it will not effect his consistency where as barkley is s confidence player and therefore needs his ego massaging to get the best out of him. Barkley is the type of player you build a team around not bring on as an impact sub.

It's clear based on the current squad that certain players are shoe ins for their position. Mcarthy Baines lukaku etc. there are also obviously players who this season haven't lived up to the previous year mirrales Howard jags. The two points I think that have hurt us this in terms of approach is giving the workman type players a game irrelevant of form Barry Naismith jags and dropping more enigmatic players based on form barkley miirrales. I agree with picking in form but players but it has to be consistent or it sends the wrong message.

In my opinion if you drop Barry it will not effect his consistency where as barkley is s confidence player and therefore needs his ego massaging to get the best out of him. Barkley is the type of player you build a team around not bring on as an impact sub.

Jags has been superb

The whole spine is what we should build around. Stones,McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku. Imagine we had De Gea in goal or Courtois. What a spine that would be. All under 24 and all class players. My missus could build a successful team round a spine like that.

Keeper is by far and away our weak point this season.

Edited by Paddock

The whole spine is what we should build around. Stones,McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku. Imagine we had De Gea in goal or Courtois. What a spine that would be. All under 24 and all class players. My missus could build a successful team round a spine like that.

Keeper is by far and away our weak point this season.

Would you not include Robles in that spine? He's only 24.

Would you not include Robles in that spine? He's only 24.

No, a few clean sheets and decent performances don't make him a de gea or Courtois.

Stones Future England captain

McCarthy potential to be the best dm in the league

Barkley COULD have the world at his feet

Lukaku is going to be as good as Drogba one day

Robles doesn't fit into that mould of players and isn't showing potential like the other 4.

I was thinking about this more. It makes no sense to build a team around any one player or even a spine of players. More important is the long-term strategy. Maybe I can explain in terms of music.

Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, etc. all wrote music in one of several standard forms: sonata form, rondo form, etc. Before writing a single note, they chose a form. If it was sonata form, then it was Exposition (theme1-tonic; theme2-dominant), Development, and Recapitulation (theme1-tonic; theme2-tonic). This form was well-established and had produced many of the world's greatest works. Now they could choose notes with confidence - coming up with themes, figuring out how notes and themes interact, and so on.

The parallel is there with a football team. There are various strategies (passing/possession game, solid defence with fast counter, hoofball, whatever). Before anything else, the manager must select his strategy. Only then can he choose players with confidence - coming up with partnerships, drills, figuring out how players and drills interact, and so on.

So, I would suggest that most important is the manager's strategy. Once that is in place, everything else comes together. It drives your youth program, your recruitment, your practice sessions, everything. It also means that we waste an awful lot of time coming up with the names of players who are currently all the rage or we happen to like personally when they would be totally inappropriate for our chosen style of play. It would be like telling a composer to use lots of Cs and Es, or quavers and crotchets, because you happen to like them. To compose a beautiful work, however, you need to look at things, and make decisions, in an entirely different way.

I was thinking about this more. It makes no sense to build a team around any one player or even a spine of players. More important is the long-term strategy. Maybe I can explain in terms of music.

Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, etc. all wrote music in one of several standard forms: sonata form, rondo form, etc. Before writing a single note, they chose a form. If it was sonata form, then it was Exposition (theme1-tonic; theme2-dominant), Development, and Recapitulation (theme1-tonic; theme2-tonic). This form was well-established and had produced many of the world's greatest works. Now they could choose notes with confidence - coming up with themes, figuring out how notes and themes interact, and so on.

The parallel is there with a football team. There are various strategies (passing/possession game, solid defence with fast counter, hoofball, whatever). Before anything else, the manager must select his strategy. Only then can he choose players with confidence - coming up with partnerships, drills, figuring out how players and drills interact, and so on.

So, I would suggest that most important is the manager's strategy. Once that is in place, everything else comes together. It drives your youth program, your recruitment, your practice sessions, everything. It also means that we waste an awful lot of time coming up with the names of players who are currently all the rage or we happen to like personally when they would be totally inappropriate for our chosen style of play. It would be like telling a composer to use lots of Cs and Es, or quavers and crotchets, because you happen to like them. To compose a beautiful work, however, you need to look at things, and make decisions, in an entirely different way.

Stones, McCarthy, Barkley and Lukaku ARE the long term strategy. They all have the potential to be leading stars and all have their best years ahead of them.

I think the key players to buy are:-

- Someone to supplement Lukaku. An ideal player "wish" - would be a suarez. Someone to drop off, link play and create the space for Rom. In old money that player would be a Peter Bearsdley.

- A long term partner for Stones,

- develop Besic or get a partner for McCarthy (Gibson if fit)

- 2 "wide" players with pace.

I think the key players to buy are:-

- Someone to supplement Lukaku. An ideal player "wish" - would be a suarez. Someone to drop off, link play and create the space for Rom. In old money that player would be a Peter Bearsdley.

- A long term partner for Stones,

- develop Besic or get a partner for McCarthy (Gibson if fit)

- 2 "wide" players with pace.

This + a top drawer up and coming Goal Keeper.

This + a top drawer up and coming Goal Keeper.

yep - all in all at least £65m worth of proven talent. More if we need a different CM to Gibson or Besic.

£10m keeper

£15m x 2 wingers

£10m centre half

£15m forward

Going forward £10m will not buy you much. Liverpool would probably want £35m for Jordan Henderson... scary thought

I get the opinion Jags is Duncans favourite player. For me on a whole he's been terrible this season. His form picked up in Jamuary though. He's had additional shaky games in between. Won't be long at all before Stones is the main man.

Not even close,I just think he is the best defender at the club, however if Stones keeps on developing the way he has he will be in a different class

Its true Jags has had some poor games this season, but I don't think he has been as bad as people make out, and name me one player at the club who hasn't had some stinkers this season, the entire team have been shite. For me he is a bit like Osman in that some fans are very quick to make him the scapegoat one minute but then sing his praises the next

And I would say that McCarthy and Lukaku were brought in BECAUSE they fit in with the long-term strategy envisioned by the manager.

And your point is????

If you're saying give Martinez time as he is building (I'm guessing it is) I'm happy to give him time if he stops playing boring shit football, picking players that don't deserve their place, playing players out of position, dropping in for fringe players for out of form favourites, being tactically one dimensional, talking absolute liquid dog shit in press conferences ... Shall I go on?

Once he stops that he'll be fine ?

..................Robles....................

Coleman...Stones...xxxx...xxxx

...........McCarthy....xxxx............

...xxxx.........Barkley.........xxxx...

...................Lukaku...................

For me all of the blanks are up for grabs, you have a minimum of five years in all of them players, Coleman being 31 in five years time. I would hope Garbutt takes over from Baines during the next few years should he continue to develop. The rest we may need to look elsewhere as no one else seems to be pushing, Browning looks a talent but can't see him shifting Stones or Coleman, we need a centre half with a left foot for me, I prefer the balance.

..................Robles....................

Coleman...Stones...xxxx...xxxx

...........McCarthy....xxxx............

...xxxx.........Barkley.........xxxx...

...................Lukaku...................

For me all of the blanks are up for grabs, you have a minimum of five years in all of them players, Coleman being 31 in five years time. I would hope Garbutt takes over from Baines during the next few years should he continue to develop. The rest we may need to look elsewhere as no one else seems to be pushing, Browning looks a talent but can't see him shifting Stones or Coleman, we need a centre half with a left foot for me, I prefer the balance.

Not sure about Robles, but I would add Besic to that list as a Midfielder or maybe even centre back.

I'm not convinced by Besic just yet, he's done well and was undoubtedly a bargain, but I think his game is limited.

I agree. Like it or not, Barry's still a better option. Besic gives the ball away at least as much but seems to escape criticism.