IGNORED

Excitement for 2015/16 Season

One more decent striker, one good CB and -most importantly- a confident keeper on goal and I would get excited.

Deulofeu and Naismith at the level shown the first season of Martinez are key to achieve the goals.

I can see that the team is a few steps away from being very good, but there are others also very close (Tottenham, Liverpool). Liverpool two seasons ago finished 2nd, then lost one vital player and ended up 6th, which shows how delicate is the balance.

Baines - Jags - Stones - Coleman is a very strong defensive line IF Jags retains the level we know he is capable of, not last years form.

McCarthy - Barkley - TBD. McCarthy is a stud who usually plays well. Barkley is all irregularity at the moment, his first season with Martinez he was bright, powerful and incisive. Last season, not so much. The third midfielder probably depends of the game, balance, form and the legs of Barry. But I'm quite happy Cleverley is in the club, another pair of fresh legs, pass and move style player can never hurt the squad.

Lukaku - Deulofeu - TBD. This is the most worrying part. Lukaku so far is inconsistent and requires a more direct approach, Deulofeu is still quite raw and inconsistent, albeit magical in his day, and we do not have a third great player to be a complement of the others. Mirallas is the best of the bunch, but we all know how things went last year. McGeady drives me mad, and Pienaar looks like a shadow of the players he used to be, which is a shame considering that Baines - Pienaar was the most fruitful pair on the left two seasons ago and a key to the excellent fifth position. Naismith two seasons ago became a very valuable contributor but playing as false 9 or second striker due to his excellent movement, smart passing and work rate. Let's see if he can be back to his best.

The bench guys: some of them can be trusted (in Joel I trust after the three clean sheets, I'm glad Alcaraz and Distin are gone and I want to see Galloway, Besic, Cleverley in action, Ossie can do good 20 mins sometimes...) and some others are deadwood (I'm looking at the oft-injured Gibson and Koné, sorry).

There is still a lot of work to do IMO to get me excited about this squad, but the two first players in are a good sign. Deulofeu is raw, mercurial talent that can give a lot, and Cleverley is a player that can contribute and fill in the gaps when teams close down.

Let's see. So far I see a 7th position in the cards, 6th if Firmino is a bust and Sterling leaves.

Edited by Kant

Welcome to the site Toffeeman007.

I've seen seasons where I've thought we would do well........and then we crash.

I've seen seasons where I thought we'd struggle........and we end up with a great season.

I like the fact your positive.

This past season wasn't just dissapointing because we under achieved results wise, it was the quality of football that has pissed of so many Blues.If we have to lose can we just please lose going forwards.....not sideways or backwards.

Sure the players wages, agents, money men, diving, cheating etc doesn't add up to the beautiful game, but there isn't much we can do about that, except hope that through it all, we have a good season, we need to change our tactics about quite a bit and it might just happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Im very excited about this season. One very clever signing (boom boom) and Deulofeu. Cleverley was brought in instead of Lennon, pretty sure that we arent looking at Lennon atm. Unless Mirallas goes.

One signing from dreams of CL football and thats a tricky nr 10. Dare I say Shaqiri?

Coyb!

I miss having to wake up at 4-7 am (depending on where I was living) to cheer on Everton. It's funny how it got to a point where my roommates would be able to tell whether Everton got a good result or not depending on how I acted hours after a game finished. I'm truly excited for the season to eventually kick off... and will probably get frustrated like i have at many points on a game by game basis. But there are things, like the thrashing of Man U that you look forward to and I want that to be a part of my weekends again. Forever, COYB

That's how I used to feel but last season seems to have knocked it out of me

I can kind of understand people in their teens and early twenties, along with recent converts, feeling that way but you're old enough to have seen far worse Dunc. So I don't get it.

I can kind of understand people in their teens and early twenties, along with recent converts, feeling that way but you're old enough to have seen far worse Dunc. So I don't get it.

I understand it to be honest - i'm 39 and recall the early 90's with shudders but I always enjoyed the new season. Footballers nowadays seem to be halting my love of the game, multi millionaires with awful attitudes and no connection to fans. Its a game where people move for money not amibition.

Your right I have seen far worse but even in the dark days of the constant relegation battles it was actually quite exciting, probably because we had something to play for. In fact I would go as far as to say that I can pinpoint the exact moment of the happiest time of my life and it was when Barry Horne's shot flew into the back of the Wimbledon net to keep us up ( Good job my missus doesn't read this since Im married and have 3 kids!)

Im old enough and lucky enough to have been there to see us lift the ECWC in Rotterdam, I was there for the semi home and away v Bayern, I was there to see Van den Hauwe get the winner to seal the title at Norwich and I was at Wembley to see us lift the Cup against United but none of those moments even came close

Anyway I digress, I guess the point Im making is even in those dark days watching Everton play excited me,even though we were shite they played with passion.Yes Ive seen us play far worse than we did last season but Ive never seen such a boring Everton team and Ive never seen Goodison so quiet

I've still renewed my season ticket, in fact Ive bought the girls their first season tickets so maybe seeing their excitement may reignite the flame

Your right I have seen far worse but even in the dark days of the constant relegation battles it was actually quite exciting, probably because we had something to play for. In fact I would go as far as to say that I can pinpoint the exact moment of the happiest time of my life and it was when Barry Horne's shot flew into the back of the Wimbledon net to keep us up ( Good job my missus doesn't read this since Im married and have 3 kids!)

Im old enough and lucky enough to have been there to see us lift the ECWC in Rotterdam, I was there for the semi home and away v Bayern, I was there to see Van den Hauwe get the winner to seal the title at Norwich and I was at Wembley to see us lift the Cup against United but none of those moments even came close

Anyway I digress, I guess the point Im making is even in those dark days watching Everton play excited me,even though we were shite they played with passion.Yes Ive seen us play far worse than we did last season but Ive never seen such a boring Everton team and Ive never seen Goodison so quiet

I've still renewed my season ticket, in fact Ive bought the girls their first season tickets so maybe seeing their excitement may reignite the flame

Fair enough. Talk in another thread about watching matches abroad reminded me of the 05/06 season when we took three points from the first eight games, then played Chelsea at Goodison who had a 100% record at the time. Watched that here (surrounded by Chelsea fans) and we got a point that got us going. Hopefully we'll do better than that this time :).

I've mentioned this before. At Good is on you are shepherded by the marshals. You can't stand, you can't swear, you can't take anything into the seats, sometimes (if you're a small pocket of louder fans) you get 'hushed'. Not helped by the price of tickets and the lackluster performances. If need be, allow for drums, allow for standing, allow for drinks to be taken to the stands.

Loss to Arsenal has done absolutely nothing to lower my excitement for this season. I believe strongly RM has prioritized match fitness/sharpness over winning a completely meaningless Asia Trophy. I would rather see Kone look like the worst footballer in history, barry/cleverley/mccarthy struggle now than during the real season. We need everyone to be ready by August 8th which means everyone needs to be playing in preseason and that includes starting games.

August 8th cannot get here soon enough. COYB

I'm absolutely dreading this coming season, I really am.

Same. Still too thin on the ground IMO.

Lukaku gets injured, Kone replaces (holy hell)

Mirallas gets injured, aging Pienaar replaces (hmmmm)

Deulofeu gets injured, McGeady replaces (Kill me now)

Barry gets injured, Besic replaces (Woohoo)

McCarthy gets injured, Osman replaces (Deary me...)

Barkley gets injured, Cleverley to replace (Not bad, not an attacking mid though)

Either Centre Back gets injured, rely on the kids (Really not ideal)

Seamus gets injured, Hibbert replaces (FML)

Howard gets injured, Joel replaces (Good, just not good enough)

All in all, we're a bit short and don't have the extra quality to stock our bench well enough.

Same. Still too thin on the ground IMO.

Lukaku gets injured, Kone replaces (holy hell)

Mirallas gets injured, aging Pienaar replaces (hmmmm)

Deulofeu gets injured, McGeady replaces (Kill me now)

Barry gets injured, Besic replaces (Woohoo)

McCarthy gets injured, Osman replaces (Deary me...)

Barkley gets injured, Cleverley to replace (Not bad, not an attacking mid though)

Either Centre Back gets injured, rely on the kids (Really not ideal)

Seamus gets injured, Hibbert replaces (FML)

Howard gets injured, Joel replaces (Good, just not good enough)

All in all, we're a bit short and don't have the extra quality to stock our bench well enough.

Yep and add to this we seem to of lost any self belief we once had, we have zilch creativity, we have never looked fit underMartinez and it's beginning to look like there isno money to spend.

Stones could be gone, Mirallas looks to already have a foot out the door, McCarthy unsettled apparently it all seems to be coming apart at the seams to me.

Geri now done his hamstring. I'm really struggling to find anything to be excited or even optimistic about.