IGNORED

Squad Depth after the Transfer Window

brisbaneblue

• 4 weeks later...

- Hibbert and Osman should be moved to coaching roles if they are willing.

- I think there is little case to keep Pienaar and Gibson.

- I don't have enough knowledge to comment on Grant. I've heard he has a little bit of potential so perhaps a one-year extension is on the cards?

- Stanek could stay as number 3 GK since we will obviously sign an replacement for Howard.

I think that leaves us with space to fill for a new GK, DM, ACM and possible winger.

I'm looking at the players currently signed on to next season. I am sure people will have their corrections but I think our squad depth isn't too far off this:

GK: Robles + NEW PLAYER + NEW PLAYER/Stanek

RB: Coleman, Stones, Oviedo, Browning, Holgate, Connolly + NEW PLAYER?

CB: Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Holgate, Galloway, Pennington, Browning, Foulds + NEW PLAYER?

LB: Baines, Oviedo, Galloway, Funes Mori, Connolly

DM: McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Cleverley, Ledson, Davies, Connolly + NEW PLAYER

ACM/CM: Barkley, Cleverley, Barry + NEW PLAYER

RW/RM: Lennon, Deulofeu, Miralas, Kone, Cleverley, McGeady + NEW PLAYER

LW/LM: Miralas, Lennon, Cleverley, Oviedo, Tarashaj, Kone, Barkley, Deulofeu, McGeady

ST: Lukaku, Niasse, Tarashaj, Kone, Rodriguez, McAleny

It's up to personal opinion to say who those new players will be, where they will fit in the line, and who will be sold.

Consensus seems to be that McGeady will go. IMO we should sign a new starting CB, a new starting DM, a GK to challenge Robles, a backup ACM and a backup RW.

Robles has been one of the bright spots this second half of the season. Let's focus on a talented young understudy in goal.

In defence, we need an overhaul - and I agree with those who propose a defensive coach. Stones needs to go (I've changed my mind a little on this), and so should Coleman. We need to plan for the post-Jagielka and Baines era. Yes, , we have some exciting youngsters coming through, but solid experience is needed (a couple of strong defenders in their mid to late 20s). Funes Mori remains a little raw, but I can see him becoming a real rock.

In midfield, what's needed in leadership. Barry has provided this in part, but there's not enough drive and passion. Games are won and lost in midfield, so this is where we should spend big. IMO, Besic will thrive if he can play alongside a strong leader.

I'm really in two minds about Barkley but retain the feeling that he will come good; it's been a learning year for him. On the wing, Deulofeu runs hot and cold, but I do believe he'll come good as well.

Lukaku needs strong competition, so this is where I would also spend big. Tarashaj, IMO, will be a major asset to the club. So might one or two of the youngsters coming through.

So, I would raise money by selling Stones and Coleman. Bring in an exciting young backup keeper. Rebuild the defence by pairing youngsters with new experience. Spend big on the strong leader in midfield, and spend big again on securing competition for Lukaku.

And, for the record, I still believe strongly that Martinez is the man to manage the team. Yes, he needs to be given clear objectives for the next season, but let's not change our strategy radically: Build a lasting legacy around players who can remain together for a decade. And have them play attractive, attacking football that's a joy to watch. The potential is there, and this season has been a let-down, but now is not the time to give up. Follow the same rules as everyone else, and our position will correlate with the fortune of our owners. Play by different rules, and we can top the league for several years.

???

Coleman Stones Mori Baines

Deulofeu Barry McCarthy Mirallas

Barkley

Lukaku

Robles

???/Connelly Jagielka/Browning ???/Galloway Oviedo/Garbutt

Lennon Besic/Gibson/Ledson Cleverley ???/Tarashaj

???/Davies/Osman

???/Niasse/McAleny

Looking at what we have I'd prioritise getting a goalkeeper and some competition for Barkley. Barry has been great this season, but I'm hoping Besic will step up and replace him. However, if a 'destroyer' was available we should snap them up as we look lost without Barry on the pitch.

I can't think of many players in the league that we could buy, looking outside of the Sky 4, Spurs, City, Stoke, Southampton, West Ham, and Leicester that would get in our starting 11. There's only Ayew, Williams, and if we went 442 Ighalo.

Howard's gone, hopefully so is Osman Hibbert pienaar gibson.

We need veteran CB, young DCM, left winger, striker and a goalie. We're not playing in Europe and I think we have enough squad fillers and youngster that we should be buying starters for most of those.

we have a veteran in Jagielka. I would sell Stones for the daft money touted and get a good solid 26 year old who does what it says on the tin.

Robles has been one of the bright spots this second half of the season. Let's focus on a talented young understudy in goal.

In defence, we need an overhaul - and I agree with those who propose a defensive coach. Stones needs to go (I've changed my mind a little on this), and so should Coleman. We need to plan for the post-Jagielka and Baines era. Yes, , we have some exciting youngsters coming through, but solid experience is needed (a couple of strong defenders in their mid to late 20s). Funes Mori remains a little raw, but I can see him becoming a real rock.

In midfield, what's needed in leadership. Barry has provided this in part, but there's not enough drive and passion. Games are won and lost in midfield, so this is where we should spend big. IMO, Besic will thrive if he can play alongside a strong leader.

I'm really in two minds about Barkley but retain the feeling that he will come good; it's been a learning year for him. On the wing, Deulofeu runs hot and cold, but I do believe he'll come good as well.

Lukaku needs strong competition, so this is where I would also spend big. Tarashaj, IMO, will be a major asset to the club. So might one or two of the youngsters coming through.

So, I would raise money by selling Stones and Coleman. Bring in an exciting young backup keeper. Rebuild the defence by pairing youngsters with new experience. Spend big on the strong leader in midfield, and spend big again on securing competition for Lukaku.

And, for the record, I still believe strongly that Martinez is the man to manage the team. Yes, he needs to be given clear objectives for the next season, but let's not change our strategy radically: Build a lasting legacy around players who can remain together for a decade. And have them play attractive, attacking football that's a joy to watch. The potential is there, and this season has been a let-down, but now is not the time to give up. Follow the same rules as everyone else, and our position will correlate with the fortune of our owners. Play by different rules, and we can top the league for several years.

Lukaku is gone mate - the majority of people who backed him to the hilt have seen him for what he is. He downed tools after Christmas (I think Yakubu used to do that) - he has had the odd moment where adrenaline got the better of his laziness and reminded us what an athlete he is. But essentially he just isn't interested.

Some praise here for hafnia's turn of phrase(s). He tells us that Stones fails to do "what it says on the tin," and that Lukaku "downed tools after Christmas."

No matter one's views of the merits of these critiques of Stones and Lukaku, the images are delightful, even literary. Occasionally TT does actually read as if it's populated by Thinking Evertonians. Occasionally.

Are these Britisms, or hafnia-originals?

Definitely not anything of Haf's creation. Let's not inflate his head any more :lol:.

Nope I certainly can't lay claim to them.

"Down tools" - personally I love that expression, you just imagine a bunch of blokes labouring away and then they hear the end of shift alarm, they just drop them on the floor and go to the pub....

"does what it says on the tin" - From the ronseal ad.... I guess when you think of a defender who does what it says on the tin you think of Dave Watson, Tony Adams, Kevin Ratcliffe - no nonsense.

we could do with a manager that does what it says on the tin. Martinez needs a bigger tin to fit all the unnecessary nonsense that people stop reading

Wonder if this is true: http://www.dailystar.co.uk/galleries/4544/Every-Everton-ace-s-weekly-wages-revealed/Gareth-Barry-60-000-per-week-500046

Red is sell or leave, big rebuilding is needed.

CB: Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Holgate, Galloway, Pennington, Browning, Foulds + NEW PLAYER?

LW/LM: Miralas, Lennon, Cleverley, Oviedo, Tarashaj, Kone, Barkley, Deulofeu, McGeady

Needs to be a clear out. Howard, Osman, Hibbert, Pienaar - great servants, but time to move on. Gibson, Mirallas - too injury prone, like both on their day but not reliable enough. Oviedo, McGeady, Kone - not good enough. Lukaku, Stones - the poster boys of the failure of the Martinez project. If he could deliver what he promised, we'd build a team around them for the next decade. He can't, he won't, they will both leave and we it will serve as a reminder that we remain also-rans.

I've posted elsewhere that this leaves us pretty thin on the ground - Robles, Coleman, Jagielka, Mori, Baines, McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Cleverley, Barkley, Lennon, Deulofeu, Niasse at my reckoning. To that Galloway is a definite add, Garbutt, Browning and Tarashaj probables, and then I'd like to see some of the other young lads given a proper chance, eg Pennington, Holgate, Connolly, Ledson, Walsh, Davies, Dowell, Henen. Say we could add one defender, midfielder and forward out of that lot...

Loooking at that, we're hugely oversubscribed in the centre of midfield and potentially short everywhere else bar LB (Baines, Garbutt, Galloway). Surprise surprise that Martinez was a CM...

• 2 weeks later...

Needs - GK, DCM, LW, CF

GK - Robles

LB - Baines, Garbutt

RB - Coleman, Connolly

CB - Stones, Mori, Jags, Galloway, Pennington

DCM - McCarthy, Besic, Barry

LW - Mirallas

RW - Gerry, Lennon

ACM - Barkley, Dowell

CF - Lukaku, Niasse

I omitted the players that will leave after their contract is up, and the players I don't think should be around the first team and should be sold (Oviedo, Kone, etc).

With a new manager I only see a couple major needs, I really think just a change of leadership could really turn this squad around.

Edited by markjazzbassist

• 3 months later...

I'm looking at the players currently signed on to next season. I am sure people will have their corrections but I think our squad depth isn't too far off this:

It's up to personal opinion to say who those new players will be, where they will fit in the line, and who will be sold.

Consensus seems to be that McGeady will go. IMO we should sign a new starting CB, a new starting DM, a GK to challenge Robles, a backup ACM and a backup RW.

Hey so we did end up signing a new starting CB, a new starting DM, a GK to challenge Robles and bolasie came in as a starting winger so I wasn't too far off.. just need that backup ACM.

Also, I'm thinking our depth now looks like something like this:

GK: Stekelenburg, Robles

RB/RWB: Coleman, Holgate, Browning, McCarthy, Connolly

CB: Williams, Jagielka, Funes Mori, Holgate, Pennington, Browning, Connolly

LB/LWB: Baines, Oviedo, Funes Mori, Connolly

DM: Gueye, Barry, McCarthy, Besic, Cleverley, Davies, Gibson

ACM: Barkley, Miralas, Cleverley, Dowell, Davies

RW/RM: Miralas, Bolasie, Deulofeu, Lennon, Valencia, Kone, Cleverley, Dowell

LW/LM: Bolasie, Miralas, Deulofeu, Lennon, Valencia, Barkley, Oviedo, Cleverley, Dowell

ST: Lukaku, Kone, Valencia, Deulofeu

I'd say depth at ACM, ST and GK are most concerning. Without the Valencia deal we'd be in an even worse position.

Edited by brisbaneblue

• 4 weeks later...

It's 3 months away and it's already evident this is a very important window. Gana and Bolasie will be gone at the ACON so we will need reinforcements for them as well as other holes. Here are the important positions I see.

Buy

1. Bolasie replacement

2. Creative attacking Mid to replace Barkley

3. Striker

4. Gana replacement if Mccarthy and Besic are still injured.

Sell/Loan out

Kone

Lennon

Niasse

Squad Depth

GK - Stekelenberg, Robles

RB - Coleman, Holgate

CB - Jags, Williams, Funes Mori, Holgate

LB - Baines, Oviedo

Holding Mid 1 - Gana, McCarthy, Besic

Holding Mid 2 - Barry, Cleverley

Attacking Mid - ???, Barkley, Davies

Wingers - Bolasie, Mirallas, Gerry, ???

Striker - Lukaku, ???, Valencia

I'd say those are our biggest holes, they will also help to give us better competition and subs to change the game.

Edited by markjazzbassist

I'd agree with that, except for loaning Lennon out. He's a competent player who can be a real pain in the ass hassling from the front.

I just don't think he's a koeman player. Never sees time in league matches and started the cup game only to play horribly. Gerry is first winger off the bench every time even when he's not been great. That's where I came up with that. I'd sell if anyone was willing, he's still got enough left that hull or Sunderland could use/want.