IGNORED

Squad Depth after the Transfer Window

brisbaneblue

The looking for a no 10, could have been the best motivation Barkley will ever need. Is this a manager manipulating the situation in the best way possible...or just making the most of a bad situation?

both. i think he knew ross would be the guy but wanted to take pressure of him. also i don't think we had the money.

That 4th CL spot might not even be there come the end of the season.

great point. let's hope those other teams start doing well in CL and not doing well in the prem, best case scenario for us :)

both. i think he knew ross would be the guy but wanted to take pressure of him. also i don't think we had the money.

great point. let's hope those other teams start doing well in CL and not doing well in the prem, best case scenario for us :)

We need the Europa League sides to do well too. That's why it's annoying that West Ham threw their games.

• 2 months later...

Updated for the upcoming transfer window:

GK: Howard, Robles, Stanek

RB: Coleman, Stones, Hibbert, Browning, Holgate

CB: Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Galloway, Browning, Pennington, Holgate

LB: Baines, Galloway, Oviedo, Funes Mori

DM: McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Cleverley, Gibson, Osman

RW/RM: Deulofeu, Lennon, Mirallas, Barkley, Kone, Cleverley, Pienaar, McGeady, Naismith

ACM/CM: Barkley, Cleverley, Osman, Naismith, Pienaar, Barry

LW/LM: Mirallas, Kone, Barkley, Deulofeu, Cleverley, Oviedo, Lennon, McGeady, Osman

ST: Lukaku, Naismith, Kone, Rodriguez, McAleny

Debatably Miralas & Kone could be swapped, as could Howard & Robles. Honestly said, our squad depth is quite good but the bigger questions are about first XI choice.

More like this for me

GK: Howard, Robles, Stanek

RB: Coleman, Hibbert, Browning

CB: Jagielka, Stones, Funes Mori, Galloway, Pennington, Holgate

LB: Baines, Oviedo

DM: McCarthy, Barry, Besic, Cleverley, Gibson

RW/RM: Deulofeu, Lennon, McGeady

ACM/CM: Barkley, Osman, McAleny

LW/LM: Mirallas, Pienaar

ST: Lukaku, Naismith, Kone, Rodriguez

Think it will be mirallas Naisy pienaar mcgeady off in January. Could see Osman Hibbert Howard Gibson Oviedo gone in the summer. Definitely need some quality reinforcements depending on who leaves.

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully McGeady will be moved on, and it looks as though Naismith is on his way to be replaced by the young Swiss lad or someone of that type. I can't see anything else happening unless by some miracle the takeover goes through in time and the new owners hand over some transfer funds,

Hopefully McGeady will be moved on, and it looks as though Naismith is on his way to be replaced by the young Swiss lad or someone of that type. I can't see anything else happening unless by some miracle the takeover goes through in time and the new owners hand over some transfer funds,

That Swiss lad will be sent back to his club for the rest of the season, so unless we can still use Naismith while he's a Norwich player we'll need an actual replacement that can play for us until the summer.

The way he was talking its players that are headed for Euros. Apart from Naismith, mcgeady and Gibbo could be gone. Good to get off the wage bill and if we get fees more the better. £2 mill maybe for the pair. Minus the big wages. Could be potential £10 mill. Gotta go all in for dembele at Fulham and a number 10

I'd forgot all about McGeady. Thought he was ok, just didn't make the standard we needed.

To be honest, Gibson, Naismith and McGeady seem like likely departures.

As Martinez said, the squad is to big just now. Can't keep them all happy!

So it looks like Faulds is in, as well as Tarashaj, all being well.

There's two potential 'future' first teamers.

Does anyone think we'll be buying someone of genuine fist team quality in this window and if so, what position(s)?

For me, we need.

1st team keeper.

1st team left winger.

Decent backup striker to compete.

Backup Right back.

I think we'll get one of the above this window, rest in the summer once we've sold Stone and Lukaku and gathered a massive pot of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumours on twitter that Leeds have accepted a bid for Sam Byram which would a good addition in my opinion. Someone to actually put pressure on Coleman. Made me think about the depth of our squad and thought how good a squad we could have in the summer. Granted we need to keep hold of everyone but it would look something like this.

GK

1. *New Goalkeeper*

2. Joel Robles

RB

1. Coleman

2. Byram

3. Browning

CB

1. Stones

2. Jagielka

CB

1. Mori

2. Galloway

LB.

1. Baines

2. Garbutt

CM

1. Barry

2. Besic

CM

1. McCarthy

2. Cleverly

RW

1. Deulofeu

2. Lennon

AM

1. Barkley

2. *New AM*

LW

1. *New LW*

2. *New LW cover*

CF

1. Lukaku

2. *New ST cover*

3. Kone

Out: Howard, Oviedo, Gibson, McGeady, Pienaar, Osman, Mirallas, Naismith

That would mean we need 5 in this summer: 2 left winger or left sided players, 1 Attacking Midfielder to cover Barkley as it looks this is Osman's last season, 1 Goalkeeper and 1 Striker cover. The ones I've listed as out all look quite likely to leave and would free up some wages for new players in.

• 2 months later...

Out of Contract End Of Year:

Hibbert
Gibson
Osman
Pienaar
Stanek
Conor Grant

Seems the only one worth re-signing would be stanek?

would like

GK - Leno, Ter Stegen, or Matty Ryan

RB - Sell Coleman for 15m, buy Debuchy for 8m and young RB for the other 7m

CB - Keep Stones

DCM - Sell McCarthy for 12-15m, Sign 2 DCM with one to repalce Barry one young one

LW - Sign Yarmo or Inaki Martinez or Morata

ST - Keep Lukaku, Buy young Striker as 3rd striker

Fire Martinez and Hire Favre or Bielsa.

Out of Contract End Of Year:

Hibbert

Gibson

Osman

Pienaar

Stanek

Conor Grant

Seems the only one worth re-signing would be stanek?

would like

GK - Leno, Ter Stegen, or Matty Ryan

RB - Sell Coleman for 15m, buy Debuchy for 8m and young RB for the other 7m

CB - Keep Stones

DCM - Sell McCarthy for 12-15m, Sign 2 DCM with one to repalce Barry one young one

LW - Sign Yarmo or Inaki Martinez or Morata

ST - Keep Lukaku, Buy young Striker as 3rd striker

Fire Martinez and Hire Favre or Bielsa.

Debuchy would be a downgrade on Coleman , the point of having all this dish is to keep our best players and only bring I new players if they can improve the team

There's 200k in wages - approx £12m a year in players that can be released.

Osman can go, I say that with a heavy heart. I'd love him back when he finishes playing in a coach or youth development capacity. But I think he has a year or so in the Championship where he can play for a promotion chasing side. I wouldn't like to see him playing for a shitty prem league team. A great great player who if he had the physicality/athleticism of Barkley would be a 80 cap plus England player

Edited by Hafnia