IGNORED

Squad Depth after the Transfer Window

brisbaneblue

Eric calling people frauds...ha ha. Didn't Uncle Farhad buy £100m worth of footballers with his own money Eric? Are you annoyed that he didn't breach FFP rules?

Haf serious question. Other than bringing in a director of football what was different under this window than any other? We spent no money! Stones provides the finances for all our deals.

Eric calling people frauds...ha ha. Didn't Uncle Farhad buy £100m worth of footballers with his own money Eric? Are you annoyed that he didn't breach FFP rules?

Would have been nice not to have a negative net spend. Bill would have been absolutely slaughtered for that. The league's the richest it's ever been, we got all that tv money plus Moshiri's investment and yet we're still sell to buy.

Edited by Eric

I just don't think he's a koeman player. Never sees time in league matches and started the cup game only to play horribly. Gerry is first winger off the bench every time even when he's not been great. That's where I came up with that. I'd sell if anyone was willing, he's still got enough left that hull or Sunderland could use/want.

i can understand the reasoning but he's a hard worker who can run forever and a day. If RK wants the best out of Coleman, he needs to keep hold of the likes of Lennon

It's 3 months away and it's already evident this is a very important window. Gana and Bolasie will be gone at the ACON so we will need reinforcements for them as well as other holes. Here are the important positions I see.

Buy

Gana replacement

Bolasie replacement

Creative attacking Mid to replace Barkley

Striker

Sell/Loan out

Kone

Lennon

Niasse

Squad Depth

GK - Stekelenberg, Robles

RB - Coleman, Holgate

CB - Jags, Williams, Funes Mori, Holgate

LB - Baines, Oviedo

Holding Mid 1 - Gana, ???, Besic

Holding Mid 2 - Barry, Cleverley

Attacking Mid - ???, Barkley, Davies

Wingers - Bolasie, Mirallas, Gerry, ???

Striker - Lukaku, ???, Valencia

I'd say those are our biggest holes, they will also help to give us better competition and subs to change the game.

Just a few (hopefully) quick points:

• I think your/some fans' expectations are slightly high. We have a number of things working against us - no european football, jan window inflation, team morale - to buy replacements for Gana and Bolasie.
  • Whether we like it or not the vast majority of players (Oviedo, Kone notwithstanding) come to Everton with the expectation of regular first team football. We aren't good enough and we don't pay them enough for them to be happy on the bench. Any plan to buy Gana replacement means Gana/Barry sit upon Gana's return. Likewise any plan to buy Bolasie replacement means Bolasie/Mirallas sit upon return. Surely Deulofeu is already frustrated and Mirallas is a tempermental little bugger. My point being this club cannot, IMO, buy replacements for those players who will be missing for the same amount of time as if they pulled a hamstring.
  • That being said there is still a clear need for a 2nd striker. This is of utmost importance, especially with Rom's continued threats to leave. Need to be prepared for that. Love, hate or tolerate, Rom is the most important player on the team. We are dreadful without him. 2nd striker absolutely critical.
  • The other big one for me is GK. Joel is a joke and though Stekelenberg has played well i would like to see a quality keeper in his 20's arrive.
  • Lastly, sort of reverting back to the Gana point, i would like to see us sell McCarthy and find a long term replacement for Barry. Barry and the new lad can play during ACON and Barry can fill in when needed February-May.

In summary: Buy ST, GK, CM Sell McCarthy Kone Niasse Joel

Just a few (hopefully) quick points:

• I think your/some fans' expectations are slightly high. We have a number of things working against us - no european football, jan window inflation, team morale - to buy replacements for Gana and Bolasie.
  • Whether we like it or not the vast majority of players (Oviedo, Kone notwithstanding) come to Everton with the expectation of regular first team football. We aren't good enough and we don't pay them enough for them to be happy on the bench. Any plan to buy Gana replacement means Gana/Barry sit upon Gana's return. Likewise any plan to buy Bolasie replacement means Bolasie/Mirallas sit upon return. Surely Deulofeu is already frustrated and Mirallas is a tempermental little bugger. My point being this club cannot, IMO, buy replacements for those players who will be missing for the same amount of time as if they pulled a hamstring.
  • That being said there is still a clear need for a 2nd striker. This is of utmost importance, especially with Rom's continued threats to leave. Need to be prepared for that. Love, hate or tolerate, Rom is the most important player on the team. We are dreadful without him. 2nd striker absolutely critical.
  • The other big one for me is GK. Joel is a joke and though Stekelenberg has played well i would like to see a quality keeper in his 20's arrive.
  • Lastly, sort of reverting back to the Gana point, i would like to see us sell McCarthy and find a long term replacement for Barry. Barry and the new lad can play during ACON and Barry can fill in when needed February-May.

In summary: Buy ST, GK, CM Sell McCarthy Kone Niasse Joel

1. you're correct we don't have any prestige currently but we do have money and a decent position in the table, we should be able to sign a rotation winger (either old proven vet willing to rotate, or youngster trying to prove themselves). I've updated the Gana replacement due to steve's comment below.

2. Yeah striker is tatamount.

3. I think the Gk will arrive in the summer with Joel going the other way in a sale.

4. i'd be happy to sell mccarthy as well but think RK will give him the season to prove himself.

I really don't get why McCarthy is being written off.

completely forgot about him due to injury, i'll add him as the gana replacement and update the depth chart.

We play with 2 DM's:

1. Gueye who plays as a Makelele/Kante style ball winning DM who focuses on tackles (4 to 5 per game on average) and interceptions (3+ per game) but is less involved in passing, crossing or putting in through balls.

2. Barry who plays as more of a traditional DM who gets forward a bit more and makes more passes (65+ per game), crosses (>1 per game) and through balls (0.15 per game) but generally makes less tackles and interceptions than a ball winning midfielder.

If you look at my other post about last season's stats, you can see that Besic's stats from last season were on par with Gueye's who was playing in an Aston Villa team that was constantly chasing possession - if Besic is fit to play in January, he is the perfect person to replace Gueye while he's on international duty. We don't need to sign a replacement.

We play with 2 DM's:

1. Gueye who plays as a Makelele/Kante style ball winning DM who focuses on tackles (4 to 5 per game on average) and interceptions (3+ per game) but is less involved in passing, crossing or putting in through balls.

2. Barry who plays as more of a traditional DM who gets forward a bit more and makes more passes (65+ per game), crosses (>1 per game) and through balls (0.15 per game) but generally makes less tackles and interceptions than a ball winning midfielder.

If you look at my other post about last season's stats, you can see that Besic's stats from last season were on par with Gueye's who was playing in an Aston Villa team that was constantly chasing possession - if Besic is fit to play in January, he is the perfect person to replace Gueye while he's on international duty. We don't need to sign a replacement.

Besic will probably still be another month or so away from returning I think.

Haf serious question. Other than bringing in a director of football what was different under this window than any other? We spent no money! Stones provides the finances for all our deals.

We blew £10m getting rid of martinez straight off which moshiri authorised. We paid good money to get Koeman and walsh - That comes out of our bottom line. Under FFP we can't just use sugar daddy money, it does not work like that.

Aside from that I truly believe we were unlucky with the lad from porto, Arsenal dinged us to the striker and sissoko was a lucky miss.

I think expectations are that moshiri is gonna be a Jack walker/abromovich - those days have Gone. FFP has taken care of that.

Moshiri appears to have done more in a few months in terms. So of planning and direction than we have had in years.

What would be your line up and formation I would go with

Back 3 of Jags Williams and Funes wing backs Colman and Baines holding midfielders Barry and Gana attacking midfielder Barkley up front Lukaku and Mirallas.

This I believe would give us a better chance to defend against teams that press like Bournemouth with out making us negative when in possession.

All pick your line ups koeman could do with a bit of help right now

What would be your line up and formation I would go with

Back 3 of Jags Williams and Funes wing backs Colman and Baines holding midfielders Barry and Gana attacking midfielder Barkley up front Lukaku and Mirallas.

This I believe would give us a better chance to defend against teams that press like Bournemouth with out making us negative when in possession.

All pick your line ups koeman could do with a bit of help right now

i'd love to see that. Or Bolasie instead of mirallas since he's big enough physically that he and Rom would be tough to defend together.

We blew £10m getting rid of martinez straight off which moshiri authorised. We paid good money to get Koeman and walsh - That comes out of our bottom line. Under FFP we can't just use sugar daddy money, it does not work like that.

Aside from that I truly believe we were unlucky with the lad from porto, Arsenal dinged us to the striker and sissoko was a lucky miss.

I think expectations are that moshiri is gonna be a Jack walker/abromovich - those days have Gone. FFP has taken care of that.

Moshiri appears to have done more in a few months in terms. So of planning and direction than we have had in years[.

Actions speak louder than words. Right now he's put a few boards up in the stadium, That's about it. I'm very skeptical. It's all good giving the talk and posing for a few pictures with the Mayor of Liverpool. Not going to fool me.

Actions speak louder than words. Right now he's put a few boards up in the stadium, That's about it. I'm very skeptical. It's all good giving the talk and posing for a few pictures with the Mayor of Liverpool. Not going to fool me.

He's only minding the fort until Usmanov gets here.

We should go all out in the next window to sign Payet :D

• 1 month later...

I've been bored this morning and had a bit of a look at our squad again. I honestly think we could get rid of at least 15 players who are in my opinion average players or their time has come to an end.

Goalkeepers: 1 of Joel or Stek has to leave in order for us to have a proper number 1. Should have been done in the Summer. I'd favour Stek as number 2 and get rid of Joel.

Defenders: Jags has had a poor start and I think this is his last season. I'm not convinced with Mori either and wouldn't be bothered if he left. Garbutt had a five year deal before being second choice at Fulham and he's made three appearances for Wigan this year. He can go. I'm not convinced with Oviedo either if I'm honest.

Midfielders: Where do I start? Get rid of: Gibson, Cleverley, McCarthy, Lennon, Mirallas, McGeady, Lennon. Besic just about makes the cut but his injury record is appalling.

Strikers: Kone, Niasse and Rodriguez can leave. Valencia can go back to West Ham.

So to summarise: Joel, Jags, Garbutt, Oviedo, Mori, Gibson, Cleverley, McCarthy, Lennon, Mirallas, McGeady, Kone, Niasse, Rodriguez, Valencia (loan).

GK

1.New Gk

2. Stek

RB

1. Coleman

2. Browning/Kenny

CB

1. New CB

2. Holgate

CB

1. Williams

2. New CB

LB

1. Baines

2. Galloway

CM.

1. New CM

2. Barry

3. Besic

CM

1. Gana

2. New CM

RW

1. Bolasie

2. Deulofeu

LW

1. New LW

2. New LW

AM

1. Barkley

2. New AM

CF

1. Lukaku

2. New CF

3. Tarashaj

Edited by Geth

I've been bored this morning and had a bit of a look at our squad again. I honestly think we could get rid of at least 15 players who are in my opinion average players or their time has come to an end.

Goalkeepers: 1 of Joel or Stek has to leave in order for us to have a proper number 1. Should have been done in the Summer. I'd favour Stek as number 2 and get rid of Joel.

Defenders: Jags has had a poor start and I think this is his last season. I'm not convinced with Mori either and wouldn't be bothered if he left. Garbutt had a five year deal before being second choice at Fulham and he's made three appearances for Wigan this year. He can go. I'm not convinced with Oviedo either if I'm honest.

Midfielders: Where do I start? Get rid of: Gibson, Cleverley, McCarthy, Lennon, Mirallas, McGeady, Lennon. Besic just about makes the cut but his injury record is appalling.

Strikers: Kone, Niasse and Rodriguez can leave. Valencia can go back to West Ham.

So to summarise: Joel, Jags, Garbutt, Oviedo, Mori, Gibson, Cleverley, McCarthy, Lennon, Mirallas, McGeady, Kone, Niasse, Rodriguez, Valencia (loan).

GK

1.New Gk

2. Stek

RB

1. Coleman

2. Browning/Kenny

CB

1. New CB

2. Holgate

CB

1. Williams

2. New CB

LB

1. Baines

2. Galloway

CM.

1. New CM

2. Barry

3. Besic

CM

1. Gana

2. New CM

RW

1. Bolasie

2. Deulofeu

LW

1. New LW

2. New LW

AM

1. Barkley

2. New AM

CF

1. Lukaku

2. New CF

3. Tarashaj

I agree with all of that however getting shut of Lennon twice is a bit harsh

That's nine new players required not knocking it, there was another two that this could be their last season you left in with Baines and Barry.

To achieve that could take over two years to materialise, we would need around 200M to bring in 9-11 signings, does that sound doable for us, or have I over guestimated.