IGNORED

Michael Keane

The game played out too his strengths a lot of pressure in our 18 yard box and arial balls to deal with, I’ve said it before he’s our best defender when in the area around the 6 yard box and facing away from the goal, out the area or running back to goal he’s our worst, the game against Newcastle definitely suited him we defended much deeper than usual under Lampard and it worked. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, StevO said:

Keane gets stock his whole Everton career for being passive. One game he gets a little bit physical in a tackle and gets a second yellow and first ever sending off. Everton to perfection. 

Heads completely gone. That’s our most experienced centre back and captain there. I’m just emotionally exhausted with him and shit he has become. 

Id be starting Branthwaite over him - he might make mistakes but he would almost have to actively try to do worse than Keane.

3 hours ago, Btay said:

Heads completely gone. That’s our most experienced centre back and captain there. I’m just emotionally exhausted with him and shit he has become. 

Id be starting Branthwaite over him - he might make mistakes but he would almost have to actively try to do worse than Keane.

I'm emotionally and mentally exhausted with this whole club. Seriously. 

12 hours ago, Btay said:

His head isnt completely gone. 

The first one is classic Keane tbh, caught in two minds high up the pitch and then having no option but to bring him down. 

The second one is just mis-timed. It happens. It shouldn't happen but it does.

I have watched the likes of Godfrey and Holgate miss exactly those type of tackles week in week out and nothing gets said. In fact Holgate did miss one and it led to the first goal. He could have been booked for that, then he should have been booked for his dive and he was finally booked for stopping the break. Those are the fine lines in football.

Yes its poor defending, yes he should know better, but up until that point he was our best defender and clearing up a lot of everyone elses mess. He wasn't the reason we were losing the game at the point he was sent off. 

53 minutes ago, Bailey said:

The first one is classic Keane tbh, caught in two minds high up the pitch and then having no option but to bring him down. 

I have watched the likes of Godfrey and Holgate miss exactly those type of tackles week in week out and nothing gets said. In fact Holgate did miss one and it led to the first goal. He could have been booked for that, then he should have been booked for his dive and he was finally booked for stopping the break. Those are the fine lines in football.

Yes its poor defending, yes he should know better, but up until that point he was our best defender and clearing up a lot of everyone elses mess. He wasn't the reason we were losing the game at the point he was sent off. 

A good old dose of whataboutery there Bailey.  Not sure you will find many people extolling the virtues of Holgate or Godfrey so I don’t understand why they are being pulled into this after Mick Keggers captains performance. 

whilst we are at it, “our best defender”  Keane tops the prem chart for errors leading to goals and tops the chart for own goals. 

Shit defender and one who among a whole raft of players I look forward to seeing jettisoned out of the club, we can debate who is the best of the shite another time.  Far too many to consider right now.

im sure however you will have your opta computer on confirmation bias settings tomorrow night. 

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The second one is not just mis timed. It’s stupidity when on a yellow abs the striker isn’t even going towards goal.

Holgate is shit - let me make that clear but his challenge is much different as he didn’t scythe someone down from behind on yellow. He tried to get a toe in on a winger running in on goal…

5 hours ago, Btay said:

The second one is not just mis timed. It’s stupidity when on a yellow abs the striker isn’t even going towards goal.

Holgate is shit - let me make that clear but his challenge is much different as he didn’t scythe someone down from behind on yellow. He tried to get a toe in on a winger running in on goal…

Wasting your time mate.  Keane is a hill he’s prepared to die on and as it stands Keane is providing him with as much defence as he does the Everton team. 

23 hours ago, Hafnia said:

A good old dose of whataboutery there Bailey.  Not sure you will find many people extolling the virtues of Holgate or Godfrey so I don’t understand why they are being pulled into this after Mick Keggers captains performance. 

whilst we are at it, “our best defender”  Keane tops the prem chart for errors leading to goals and tops the chart for own goals. 

Shit defender and one who among a whole raft of players I look forward to seeing jettisoned out of the club, we can debate who is the best of the shite another time.  Far too many to consider right now.

im sure however you will have your opta computer on confirmation bias settings tomorrow night. 

Its not whataboutary as I am still laying the blame squarely at Keane's door. I have never said otherwise. 

The point is that this is football. Mistimed, bad decisions happen. He was looking solid in the game and he got two decisions wrong. He gets blamed for that, but I disagree that means his head has gone.

15 hours ago, Btay said:

I agree its a very poor decision. He should never have done it but it is still mistimed. 

IMO Holgates challenge was a combination of a bad decision, mistimed and worse technique. It looked more like a forwards tackle than a centre halfs.

I think we have a problem with all of our centre halves in that they just cant help themselves. Keane is forever dangling a foot out, Godfrey commits himself far too often (see 2nd goal) and Holgate does a bit of everything.

I readily admit that I didnt think we needed a centre half this season as I thought we would be able to get away with it to an extent under Benitez's tactics but they are all horribly exposed now with Frank and its a massive issue for us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

He’s a decent player. Not brilliant but not utterly dreadful either. 
I think he showed his best form during lockdown. Once fans came back in, he dropped right off again. 
Confidence seems fragile to me. 

That said, he needs to go. He isn’t the answer. 
If a team is interested, it’s better than us offering him out so hopefully means we might get a better deal. 
I dunno, would 10-15 million be possible? 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

My worry if Keane was to go would be Mina staying. I don’t see any chance they both go, and I don’t see us bringing in more than just Tarkowski. Mina not staying fit leaves us with Tarkowski, Holgate and Godfrey, I rate Branthwaite very highly but he needs to go and play somewhere for a full season. 

edit; A season with Moyes makes Keane a solid defender imo. 

On 09/06/2022 at 12:15, StevO said:

My worry if Keane was to go would be Mina staying. I don’t see any chance they both go, and I don’t see us bringing in more than just Tarkowski. Mina not staying fit leaves us with Tarkowski, Holgate and Godfrey, I rate Branthwaite very highly but he needs to go and play somewhere for a full season. 

edit; A season with Moyes makes Keane a solid defender imo. 

I think it would be more of a case that Keane would suit the way a Moyes team defends (generally low block with less than average pressing). If he had a year with Moyes and then went and played for Klopp, he would still be found out regularly. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think it would be more of a case that Keane would suit the way a Moyes team defends (generally low block with less than average pressing). If he had a year with Moyes and then went and played for Klopp, he would still be found out regularly. 

Even you could partner Van Dijk and not be found out! 😂

More pressing would give less work to the defenders anyway, apart from picking up long balls which he can head away all day, as long as they aren’t in behind and gets stuck in a foot race with a fast striker. 

10 hours ago, StevO said:

Even you could partner Van Dijk and not be found out! 😂

More pressing would give less work to the defenders anyway, apart from picking up long balls which he can head away all day, as long as they aren’t in behind and gets stuck in a foot race with a fast striker. 

🤣🤣🤣

I like to big myself up every now and then but even I wouldnt go that far! 

• 1 month later...