IGNORED

Newcastle (Away)

markjazzbassist

Well apart from wishing you boys all the best and irritating you with anti lukaku board bile I thought I'd pop in... it showed 90 minutes 0-0 on TV and I thought that was that.

It's my little boys 2nd birthday today and the day he was born was the 1-0 loss when we battered Sunderland. So I'll take this. Love to you all xxx

sorry, I got confused. I thought dropping our most productive assist maker and waiting 70m to make subs was stupid. He got lucky today.

He was poor v Leicester and poor when he came on today.

Martinez gets lucky when we win and is culpable when we lose/draw, despite dominating? Seems a no win situation.

Guest rusty747

I thought RM changed things well today. He is at least now rotating his starting eleven and making substitutions that are sensible, and at sensible times.

That is what we all wanted wasn't it?

Went for our family pictures today, which my wife scheduled right at kickoff time. If we'd have driven home afterwards, we would have missed the game. But, thank goodness, there was a Taco Mac almost next door, and they kindly switched a few of the TVs so we could watch the final ten minutes - and it was worth it. What a goal from Tom Cleverley!

A hard fought away win and a clean sheet to boot.

Players that needed a rest given one, and substitutions made in time to have an influence on the match.

Well done Martinez and the team, more of the same please.

If this continues I will well and truely be eating a large slice of humble pie at the end of the season.

Pass the cream!

Martinez gets lucky when we win and is culpable when we lose/draw, despite dominating? Seems a no win situation.

Exactly this!! People have been moaning that he plays the same team week in week out. He makes two changes today by swapping a winger for Kone (most have been wanting this for weeks) Makes another change by swapping Geri out who was poor last week with yet another winger (most have wanted that) makes two changes in 69 min (earlier than normal & sooner than them). We then win and yet still we whinge. If you can easily moan and blame then I think credit should be given when it's due.... It's not they played us of the park and we stole it with a dubious penalty or terrible deflection! It was a nice Christmas present that helped my last beer taste that bit sweeter.

People have been moaning that he plays the same team week in week out. He makes two changes today by swapping a winger for Kone (most have been wanting this for weeks) Makes another change by swapping Geri out who was poor last week with yet another winger (most have wanted that) makes two changes in 69 min (earlier than normal & sooner than them). We then win and yet still we whinge. If you can easily moan and blame then I think credit should be given when it's due....

Either my logic is off, or yours is. As I read this thread, the issue of whether or not Roberto now gets credit for doing a fine job began with post # 113. -- yours. There you said:

Let's see how much credit people give to Martinez!

Then, several people posted that Martinez does indeed deserve credit -- for finally coming to his senses, starting a few different players, and using substitutes wisely. In short, for doing what quite a few of his TT critics (myself included) said might help. Indeed, it's pretty easy for Roberto's TT critics to give him lots of credit today, as to do so is not much more than saying, "See, we told you Roberto needed to do some things differently." How difficult could it possibly be to credit Martinez when to do so is little more than patting ourselves on the back. Piece of cake, Bob's your uncle.

So, I repeat, either your or my thinking is illogical. I concede it might be mine. But now here you say, correctly, that some of us have been moaning that Roberto has not used the deep squad he and we say he has at his disposal. So, yes, we moaners have been urging him to do exactly what he -- finally, finally -- did today. I don't see a lot of "whinging." I see relief, joy even, that Roberto took our perfectly obvious advice.

Now, admittedly, had Cleverley not headed in at the final second, and had we moaners then moaned about giving away another two points, or complained that Roberto should have brought on a brilliant, in-form Kone for that dolt Mirallas, etc., then yes, we moaners would be thereby revealed for the utter hypocrites that we are. But it strikes me as odd to criticize the moaners for what appears to be their satisfaction, not their disappointment and whinging, with Roberto's strategy and tactics against Newcastle.

Unless I have totally misunderstood lots of stuff.

Edited by Elston Gunnn

And yet despite playing poorly he won the corner we scored from, and took that corner so added to his assist tally for the season. I'll take that from any player when they're playing poorly!

Very lucky Eliot punched the ball straight at Clev, otherwise we'd be all complaining about a 0-0 draw, which once again, should have been 3 points. Was ecstatic we got the win, but it was more a stroke of luck in my eyes. If Clev didn't react so quick Martinez would be piled under more pressure and we'd all be more grumpy than before. Hardly think Martinez deserves credit, purely for this reason.

Call me pessimistic, but we still aren't converting opportunities in the final third, and if not for Mitrovic bottling that sure-thing of a header, we would have only just rescued a point. It shouldn't be that hard to score against Newcastle with the quality of players we have - they'd conceded the second most goals this season in the whole league, just behind Sunderland. I don't think I'll really see this as a victory unless we can back it up against Stoke and Spurs.

Edited by Pearso

And yet despite playing poorly he won the corner we scored from, and took that corner so added to his assist tally for the season. I'll take that from any player when they're playing poorly!

True enough but that corner doesn't count as an official assist does it? I thought the ball needed to directly to the scorer and not via an opposition player :huh:. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

True enough but that corner doesn't count as an official assist does it? I thought the ball needed to directly to the scorer and not via an opposition player :huh:. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

Either way he still made a positive contribution. I'd rather that than a player play poorly and add absolutely nothing.

He didn't win the corner though did he? That was Rom unless my mind is playing tricks.

It was Roms shot that went out for the corner...keep up man!

I must be mixing up the two incidents :(.

Edit - was it from the chance that Mbemba blocked? It's coming back to me now. Dunno how I forgot it tbh because it almost tipped me over the edge :lol:.

Edited by Romey 1878

I must be mixing up the two incidents :(.

Edit - was it from the chance that Mbemba blocked? It's coming back to me now. Dunno how I forgot it tbh because it almost tipped me over the edge :lol:.

Yes that's the one. Rom megged that long hair freak then his shot was tackled/blocked for the corner.

Went for our family pictures today, which my wife scheduled right at kickoff time. If we'd have driven home afterwards, we would have missed the game. But, thank goodness, there was a Taco Mac almost next door, and they kindly switched a few of the TVs so we could watch the final ten minutes - and it was worth it. What a goal from Tom Cleverley!

Tut Tut! Don't you put all the games on the family calendar? :rofl:

For the first 30 minutes I thought we were absolutely untouchable. Newcastle could not get near us. Our football was some of the best I've seen from us, and we've played some quality stuff this season. I was drooling over it to be honest. As has been the case many times this season, though, we were struggling to turn that dominance into clear cut chances and therefore goals. We did create some openings but not nearly as many as our play should've warranted. It wasn't just what we did when we had the ball that so impressed me though. A complaint I've had this season (and last) is that we don't work hard enough when we don't have the ball, but that wasn't the case for that half an hour yesterday. We worked incredibly hard to press Newcastle on the rare occasions that we didn't have possession of the ball. As soon as they'd get it we swarmed them and either forced them into giving the ball back to us or just took the ball from them. It's the hardest I've seen us work for quite a while. After that first period of the game I thought we drifted out of that dominance though. A drop in our intensity? Newcastle remembered how to play football? A mixture of the two I reckon. No doubt that Newcastle improved in the play but I thought we allowed them into the game due to a drop in our intensity - both in attack and defence. We fell back into our habit of playing very slowly and without much intent, which let them get a foothold in the game and their confidence grew and they had a couple of threatening opportunities themselves - Mitrovic should've done much better with a header for example.

I was a little worried at half time to be honest. That was our customary good half and we'd failed to take the lead. What would happen in the second half? Would we put a full game together or would we go to bits?

We didn't quite put a full game together but it wasn't the absolute shit show second half performances we put in against Norwich and Bournemouth. It was more of an even second half, with both sides creating chances. End to end you could say and either side could have won it really, but between some poor finishing (from them) and some excellent defending and goalkeeping (from them) it looked like the game would finish all square. We actually had better chances this half even though we weren't as dominant in the overall balance of play. Credit to us though; we were absolutely knackered by the end of the game but were still pushing for a winner deep into injury-time and finally got the breakthrough. As heart-breaking as it was for Newcastle to lose like that I think we deserved the victory based on the balance of play. The Mitrovic header in the second half that he put wide and the chance that Howard kept out were their best chances, but we had far more chances (IMO) that their keeper had to keep out and even more that didn't reach the keeper due to some last ditch blocks.

All in all, we've played much better than that this season and not got what we deserved so it's about time some "luck" went our way.

Howard - His distribution pissed me off for a lot of the game but that save when he had to literally scoop the ball off the line as he was falling over the line himself was absolutely quality.

Coleman - Not the best defensive performance of his life but he put in one hell of a shift getting up and down the line to provide support for Lennon.

Stones - Bottled out of the doing some of the dirty work a couple of times (something he really has to start doing more of) but other than that I can't knock him. When we were on top for that first half hour he was pure quality. He played the majority of that time on the half-way line and looked more like an extra midfielder. Elegance personified.

Mori - He's looked shaky the past 3 or 4 games but he put in a very solid display yesterday. None of this trying to be clever with the ball, just a totally defensive-minded display. It's what he's good at and it's what should always be his first port of call. He was also unlucky not get another goal for us from a corner - he showed excellent movement to get away from his man and was only stopped getting the goal by a great save.

Baines - Much like Coleman on the other side he ran his blood to water getting up and down the line.

Lennon - It was typical Lennon to be honest. Did brilliantly every single time in the build-up. He was a thorn in Newcastle's side and threatened to make something happen every time he received the ball. Sadly, a threat is all it ever was as his Achilles heel of having next to no end product kicked in. Each and every time he chose the wrong option after doing all the hard work.

Cleverley - I honestly thought he was pretty non-existent until his goal. He did plenty of running about but there wasn't much else about him in my eyes.

Barry - Another top quality performance from him. As is usually the case he just knew where to place himself to snuff danger out before it could really have a chance to ferment into anything more. His use of the ball was exceptional too; more often than not he chose the right pass to play and got us moving around the pitch. He might not do a lot of talking but he leads us with the way he plays. My MOTM.

Mirallas - I thought he started the game superbly. He looked a threat and really up for the game, and was unlucky not to put us ahead very early on after a sublime first touch. As we drifted out of the game after the first 30 minutes so did he though. But he put in a very good shift in the second half without standing out. I hope it was enough to convince Martinez to give him a little run of starts.

Barkley - When we dominated the start of the game I thought he was brilliant. It looked like playing with two wingers and giving the opposition more things to worry about was giving him the freedom of space he craves. He constantly found himself with space to work in, and he took advantage of it and looked very dangerous. But after that I thought he was pretty poor to be honest. He just didn't do enough. He was coming deep far too often. His main responsibility is to be a supporting player to Rom but for the rest of the game he probably shared more passes with Stones and Barry than he did with Rom. His lack of support play was even more evident without Kone playing, who drifts in a lot to provide support himself. Early in the season he was scoring and assisting but he definitely wasn't going to improve on either of those stats yesterday.

Lukaku - Although he visibly faded at the end of the game it was understandable because he put in an all-action display. Even on a "normal" pitch that would take a lot out of any player but it was a boggy pitch yesterday. I really am blown away by the strides he's making in improving his all-round game and yesterday just boosted that further. His hold up play and use of his body was top notch. I can't remember a time when Collocini got the best of him. He did fail to convert a few chances but only one them really annoyed me. Two were from tight angles that Elliot did well to stop and another he was on the stretch to try and put the rebound in from Mori's saved header. The one that annoyed and frustrated me was the one right at the death that Mbemba got back to block. After he'd megged one defender and was in on goal it was like he thought it was a foregone conclusion that he'd get his shot away and that there was no one else around im (other than the keeper), so he slowed down and that allowed Mbemba to get the block in. If he'd gotten a goal yesterday he'd have been my MOTM for sure because his all-round display was brilliant.