IGNORED

Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Going to have to bite the bullet a bit, and to a degree park FFP to the side and worry about it in the January transfer window or early next summer. We need a half decent striker who walks in to the starting 11. 

At least whoever we are now chasing now knows they are pretty much nailed on as a starter for the first half of the season. 

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:
27 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

Hardly a 'mantra' but with no DCL or Rondon this weekend, so this weekend a bit limited on senior out and out strikers - i.e there is none!!. May as well try Alli against Cheslea and see how he gets on. At least we will know a bit more afterward if he is an emergency option or a complete dead loss. After DCL and Rondon, who else do you stick there as our goal threat on the weekend? 

I would prefer to stick someone who actually plays that role there. We've seen what square pegs in round holes usually ends up with. I didn't actually say that we had someone of that ilk on staff/available.

My comment was about where the focus on Alli playing there had come from. In my opinion asking Alli to play there is no different to asking say demari or Gordon (neither of which i advocate) to play there but I don't see comments about that so I was wondering where Alli credentials had come from...that's all.

1 minute ago, Goodison Glory said:

I would prefer to stick someone who actually plays that role there. We've seen what square pegs in round holes usually ends up with. I didn't actually say that we had someone of that ilk on staff/available.

My comment was about where the focus on Alli playing there had come from. In my opinion asking Alli to play there is no different to asking say demari or Gordon (neither of which i advocate) to play there but I don't see comments about that so I was wondering where Alli credentials had come from...that's all.

So would I and everybody, hence priority is now to get a first team striker in in. 

But somebody needs to lead the line on the weekend. Better alternative to Alli starting at the weekend? 

16 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

He’s had easily the best goal scoring record of the 3 so it’s probably based on that. 

Dele ahead of the others because almost all of his goals come from within the box where Gray likes to come inside and shoot from outside the box.  Him and Gordon both like to run at players and cut in to create things where Ali is generally better in the middle.

From 51 goals he's scored 3 outside of the box.  He's also scored a decent amount of headers.

Not ideal given our options for day 1 he will likely be the forward for that game.

1 hour ago, RuffRob said:

Going to have to bite the bullet a bit, and to a degree park FFP to the side and worry about it in the January transfer window or early next summer. We need a half decent striker who walks in to the starting 11. 

At least whoever we are now chasing now knows they are pretty much nailed on as a starter for the first half of the season. 

Agree with this 100%

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

It also means Everton are gonna be charged a nice premium for any players we go in for.  Well done EFC…. Genius. 

I imagine getting cornet in at his min release fee may now become the priority. Suck up the terms. He's not an out and out striker either but at least we know the price can't change. 

Gordon, Alli, McNeil as a front 3 is quite exciting and going to be a handful for a lot of teams. Priority is still midfield because without that those front 3 won't get a chance to achieve anything.

Edit: that's assuming Alli puts in a shift. Worked well for the red lot playing Firmino playing centre. 

11 minutes ago, Goodison Glory said:

I imagine getting cornet in at his min release fee may now become the priority. Suck up the terms. He's not an out and out striker either but at least we know the price can't change. 

my fear is Cornet has been dragging his feet waiting on a team who are in Europe to jump in for his signature. Read early doors that he would prefer a move to a team playing European football. Now West Ham are in for him, so that might turn his head and might be a team he prefers to go to - unless we show him the money!! Which I assume we are trying to move away from.  

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

Gordon, Alli, McNeil as a front 3 is quite exciting and going to be a handful for a lot of teams. Priority is still midfield because without that those front 3 won't get a chance to achieve anything.

Edit: that's assuming Alli puts in a shift. Worked well for the red lot playing Firmino playing centre. 

Its not unheard of playing with out a striker, so it is something that could work as its done for others (although others have had Worldie plays at there disposal. Being forced in to it is not ideal, but sometimes necessity is to the mother of invention.

Easy to be doom and gloom, but might focus the club in getting back up or indeed replacement first choice striker who could end up more than filling DCL's shoes. People at the club will be shitting it a little more with no Richy and potentially a long term DCL layoff looking them straight in the face. 

18 minutes ago, RuffRob said:

my fear is Cornet has been dragging his feet waiting on a team who are in Europe to jump in for his signature. Read early doors that he would prefer a move to a team playing European football. Now West Ham are in for him, so that might turn his head and might be a team he prefers to go to - unless we show him the money!! Which I assume we are trying to move away from.  

From what I understood the hold you had less to do with Cornet than the structure of the deal.

Everton manager Frank Lampard has confirmed striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin will miss Saturday’s Premier League opener against Chelsea after sustaining a knee injury in training.

The England international is currently being assessed by the Club’s medical team and will continue treatment at Finch Farm.

Lampard said: “We are assessing Dom’s injury. No timeframe has been confirmed and we are pretty sure what level it is so we are hopeful it is not long-term.

“We’ll miss him for Chelsea. He was looking in great physical condition and was training really well. It was a freak injury in training, which does happen. It’s a shame but we have to find the solutions to keep ourselves strong without Dominic before he returns.”

30 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Everton manager Frank Lampard has confirmed striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin will miss Saturday’s Premier League opener against Chelsea after sustaining a knee injury in training.

The England international is currently being assessed by the Club’s medical team and will continue treatment at Finch Farm.

Lampard said: “We are assessing Dom’s injury. No timeframe has been confirmed and we are pretty sure what level it is so we are hopeful it is not long-term.

“We’ll miss him for Chelsea. He was looking in great physical condition and was training really well. It was a freak injury in training, which does happen. It’s a shame but we have to find the solutions to keep ourselves strong without Dominic before he returns.”

That sounds as positive at it can be and at least it's not his quad again.

I'm very much relieved about this.

I think Alli is smart enough to play up front. At Spurs he spent a lot of the time playing off Kane doing his own thing so its not completely unfamiliar to him, albeit its a much different task.

If he does play in that false 9 role then the balls into him need to be good and we need some decent posession. If he is being asked to run the channels or contest 50/50 balls, it will be a complete waste of time. 

Its going to be tough as anyone coming in knows they will more than likely play second fiddle to Dom when he is back. Plus we don't have the money. The ideal situation would be a loan deal for someone like Broja that we can give back if it doesn't work or if we don't need them moving forwards.

7 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think Alli is smart enough to play up front. At Spurs he spent a lot of the time playing off Kane doing his own thing so its not completely unfamiliar to him, albeit its a much different task.

If he does play in that false 9 role then the balls into him need to be good and we need some decent posession. If he is being asked to run the channels or contest 50/50 balls, it will be a complete waste of time. 

Its going to be tough as anyone coming in knows they will more than likely play second fiddle to Dom when he is back. Plus we don't have the money. The ideal situation would be a loan deal for someone like Broja that we can give back if it doesn't work or if we don't need them moving forwards.

Alli can do his own thing playing off Rondon even though Rondon won’t be playing because he’s suspended, because Rondon not playing and Rondon playing are virtually the same thing to be honest.

4 minutes ago, Shukes said:

How many injuries has he had? I k ow last season he missed most… but that was pretty much all stemmed from the same one wasn’t it? 

But has he been having injuries all his career?

No last season was his first injury plagued season and hopefully his last. He is a proper athlete and very fit, so hopefully last season was a one off 🤞🙏

18 minutes ago, London Blue said:

No last season was his first injury plagued season and hopefully his last. He is a proper athlete and very fit, so hopefully last season was a one off 🤞🙏

There is a baseball adage I quite like. “You can’t pull fat”. It’s probably not true but it does SEEM like the heftier players in that sport get injured less than the ones with 5% body fat. I’d be curious to know how that correlation works out across different sports. 

2 minutes ago, SpartyBlue said:

If it’s true it’s probably just because being less athletic puts you less at risk. Dom can jump so likely more risk of an injury. 

I've had 13 major breaks/fractures (not including toes) and twice that in torn ligaments and tendons during 15 years of playing football. Since I stopped 8 years ago I've had 2 injuries. 

Exercise is not good for my health and whenever people tell me otherwise, I go to my library of x rays and MRI scans...

Just now, Matt said:

I've had 13 major breaks/fractures (not including toes) and twice that in torn ligaments and tendons during 15 years of playing football. Since I stopped 8 years ago I've had 2 injuries. 

Exercise is not good for my health and whenever people tell me otherwise, I go to my library of x rays and MRI scans...

The reality of sport. Less chance of pulling something while you’re having a pint. 
I’ve hurt myself a couple times working out which, theoretically, I do for my health.