IGNORED

U21s

Only watched the first but I wouldn't be looking too closely for any of them in the first team.

Patterson is definitely the closest. He just looks that bit sharper and quicker. He had that bit of quality in the build up and with the final ball too. Some loose stuff early on though and its clear that the wing back he was up against isn't a natural attacking player so he wasn't really tested. I like the way he goes about things. He gets into good positions and he closes the space well.

Two players that really disappointed were Dobbin and Simms. Good finish from Dobbin at the end but neither of them show any respect for possession of the football. I thought Dobbin was like that in the league because he was nervous against better players but he is the same at this level. Neither of them will make it at a decent level if they dont show more control when they have the ball. 

Branthwaite was shaky early but did improve. He needs to show a bit more intent and energy IMO. Simms is similar in that they both need to show a bit more aggression in their play if they want to actually be better than the rest of these. They may well be more talented but you look at a grafter like Astley putting himself around and doing the dirty work and then Branthwaite on the periphery of the game. 

Spurs look to have some tidy midfielders and the difference between the two was stark. Technically they were far superior.

I've not really watched the U23's before but after watching most of the first half thought that while some individuals showed some quality and a bit of spark I thought as a team (much like the first team) there wasn't much of a game plan.  The ball was up and down and all over the place.

I know the team changes a bit and some will spend more time getting first team training and others will be with Unsworth but I guess that's where the benefits of a cohesive approach to our game play would help.

Kyle John seem to get quite a bit of action up the left wing, Astley also looked solid at Centre back.  Says Kyle John is a right back on the site but he seemed to be playing either left wing or an attacking left back.

1 hour ago, FairWooney said:

I've not really watched the U23's before but after watching most of the first half thought that while some individuals showed some quality and a bit of spark I thought as a team (much like the first team) there wasn't much of a game plan.  The ball was up and down and all over the place.

I know the team changes a bit and some will spend more time getting first team training and others will be with Unsworth but I guess that's where the benefits of a cohesive approach to our game play would help.

Kyle John seem to get quite a bit of action up the left wing, Astley also looked solid at Centre back.  Says Kyle John is a right back on the site but he seemed to be playing either left wing or an attacking left back.

John has been playing there because we have no left-back whatsoever in that set-up.

On 25/01/2022 at 14:08, Sibdane said:

Good to know the left back problem extends to the junior team. 

John was playing left back to enable Patterson to play right back we have left backs in fact we have a 15 year old playing in the youth team who is excellent Sam Smith.

20 minutes ago, patto said:

John was playing left back to enable Patterson to play right back we have left backs in fact we have a 15 year old playing in the youth team who is excellent Sam Smith.

When we lost Small I read an interview with Unsworth and he was saying that with Nkounkou also out on loan we didn’t have an actual LB for the U23s and would be getting creative to fill the spot, but they must’ve promoted one of the proper baby left-backs from the lower age groups to fill the spot. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just been watching these guys against Man U. 
Tom Cannon is going to be a top striker. 
There’s a few players in that team that look like they are the real deal.

Football was fast and energetic. Came from 2-0 down to disappointed to only take a point at 2-2.

Really impressed with these guys.

• MikeO changed the title to U21s
23 hours ago, Shukes said:

Just been watching these guys against Man U. 
Tom Cannon is going to be a top striker. 
There’s a few players in that team that look like they are the real deal.

Football was fast and energetic. Came from 2-0 down to disappointed to only take a point at 2-2.

Really impressed with these guys.

I saw somewhere (can’t remember where) that Milwall want him on-loan.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, c1982 said:

I still think we should have kept him until he was at least 26 to help us win the Premier reserve league then maybe let him go to Fleetwood… this approach Thelwell seems to be adopting is strange!!!

That's three we've sold this window (unless I've missed more?). It's brilliant and something I've been calling for for a while.

Still think we should have done the same with Simms this summer after his Blackpool loan but can understand why we decided to loan him again.

I can still see Simms going back to Sunderland before Tuesday - they’ve just had Gelhardt off Leeds but their main striker got injured again and they were short anyway. They’ve got a very good chance of being in the play-off mix so don’t think they’ll want to be short on attackers.

I hope we bring this lad from Coventry in (Gyorkes) but think Dyche will go for Barnes or Rodriguez as a short ‘fix’ option… Burnley have just signed a striker 👀 Chris Wood would have 100% been part of the Gordon deal if Dyche had been in earlier!