IGNORED

U21s

• 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

But have you got those ears?

A man can only dream of having ears that big! Reminds me of a great one-liner from a mate in the pub one evening many moons ago. One of my mates had (still has) a bit of a huge nose and one of the guys looked at him and said, "Sam, if only you could breathe through your ears you'd be the perfect lover."

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, patto said:

No but he did sign them and that’s why people criticise him. 
some people don’t see what’s happening below the 1st team. 

I think it was quite clear I was saying I don't know why he's been criticised about the youth set up.

That sort of thing takes time to change and now it looks like the changes he made are coming to fruition. Yet he was being criticised about our lack of youth coming through more or less straight away - it was idiotic.

I'm not sure I agree with farming top U-23 players out on loan. For some, it will be beneficial; they need regular playing time. The lower leagues, though, are much more physical and very different from elite level. For some, why not introduce them as subs in the Prem a little more? Do we have any players right now that might shine if given such an opportunity?

23 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

I'm not sure I agree with farming top U-23 players out on loan. For some, it will be beneficial; they need regular playing time. The lower leagues, though, are much more physical and very different from elite level. For some, why not introduce them as subs in the Prem a little more? Do we have any players right now that might shine if given such an opportunity?

It’s a results-based business where most clubs look at the short term. Fixture results are usually pretty close in the PL, so you’re not going to find a lot of managers willing to take a risk on youngsters. 

Results first, development second. Not saying I agree mind. 

2 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

That implies that the PL isn't that physical and whilst it might not be as rough as the lower leagues, it is still the most physical top flight league in Europe and there are countless times when players from other leagues havent been able to hack it because of that physicality.

Sub appearances are all well and good when you win plenty of games with a comfortable score line. Like @Sidbane   says, you arent going to bring on a kid when the game is on the line. In an ideal world you want the lad to go on loan for a season or a half season, play regular first team football and then bring them back in and see how they do. For some the penny drops quickly and for others it will take them a few years too long and that is what we have seen with the likes of Lundstram, Wood and Duffy. The same will probably even apply to Davies and Holgate.

Millions of footballers never get to professional level. It would be great to get a few of these into our first team….. but creating professional careers for the majority of these players should always be our aim. 
We should be proud of what our youth set up achieves, but we should also be looking to improve even more and turn a few of these into Everton players.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Great goal from Dobbin against Spurs tonight, and a great assist (and flick in the buid-up) from Nathan Patterson.

He (Dobbin) should be on the bench ahead of Rondon all day long.

And Patterson is the future so will hopefully get in ahead of Kenny after his abysmal showing against Villa. I’ve been all for giving Kenny a chance to prove himself and he’s had that now and proven that he’s not good enough. 

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

He (Dobbin) should be on the bench ahead of Rondon all day long.

And Patterson is the future so will hopefully get in ahead of Kenny after his abysmal showing against Villa. I’ve been all for giving Kenny a chance to prove himself and he’s had that now and proven that he’s not good enough. 

I’m just watching the 23’s game against spurs to see how Patterson goes. So far branthwiate has been shaky.