IGNORED

Martinez wins £10m compensation for being sacked

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3780337/Roberto-Martinez-wins-astonishing-10m-pay-Everton-sacking-more.html

Roberto Martinez received an eye-watering one-off severance payment of more than £10million from Everton after being sacked as their manager in May.

Lawyers representing the club attempted to reduce the figure in protracted negotiations with Martinez's legal team but a clause in his contract demanded that he be paid the remaining three years of his deal — which added up to nearer £12m.

In the end an agreement was reached after an independent hearing in London at between £10m and £11m.

Martinez, now manager of Belgium, signed a five-year contract with Everton in July 2014 after an outstanding first season as the club's successor to David Moyes.

It was concern about losing him — at the time the Spaniard was a contender for the vacant position at Tottenham, as well as attracting interest for the England job — that persuaded chairman Bill Kenwright to agree a deal that protected both the club and Martinez.

If another club wanted him, they would have to pay up the remainder of his contract in compensation to Everton.

But if Martinez was sacked before the deal had run its course in July 2019, the club would have to pay him the full amount, too.

Convinced at the time Martinez would build something special at Goodison, Kenwright said: 'In many commentators' eyes, Roberto Martinez is the best young manager in Europe. We agree.

'He took on an unfamiliar challenge for most managers, to take something really good and make it better. He has succeeded.

'In his debut season he broke our Premier League record points haul, got us back into Europe and developed some of the most exciting young footballers in the game.

'He conducts himself off the pitch in the same way. He undertakes his business with great style, confidence, positivity and class.

'He is an Everton man. We commit to our managers and we're pleased that Roberto has committed to us.'

Everton finished fifth that season but were 11th in the following campaign — a consequence of struggling to combine the demands of the Premier League with Europe — and their worst position in nine years.

The following season, matters did not improve, with a run of one win in 10 matches culminating in a crushing 3-0 defeat at Sunderland in Martinez's last game in charge.

It was also the penultimate game of the season and the club finished 11th again.

Defeats in the semi-finals of the two domestic cup competitions were a further blow and lawyers acting for Farhad Moshiri, the British-Iranian billionaire who acquired a 49.9 per cent stake in Everton in February, argued that two seasons of disappointment should count against Martinez in talks over severance pay.

But Martinez's legal team, led by Manchester-based sports lawyer Chris Farnell, had the benefit of an iron-clad contract clause Everton had no choice but to recognise.

In the end, Martinez agreed to a slight reduction, it is understood, if the payment was made in a single instalment and he could pursue other ambitions that took him to Belgium last month.

Everton declined to comment on Thursday night.

We should have just put him on garden leave

It appears our bungling club were at it again..... he was guaranteed the pay off no matter what. We didn't put the clause in which meant that if he got a new job he would get paid that on top of his Everton wages. Usually the compensation is offset by the wages of the new job.

I mean yeah, his first season was unreal and he got rewarded a new contract. Was it this contract that gave him licence to be so arrogant and carefree in how he operated? Well it certainly cost us didn't it.

No wonder he kept his mouth shut. Quite the politician.

If anything good comes from this then surely Moshiri will see what a bunch of idiots we have had presiding over deals and contracts.

Edited by Hafnia

reading into comments made by Colin Fitzpatrick - there is suggestions that there is a power battle going on at the club....

It stands to reason that this is the case.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3780337/Roberto-Martinez-wins-astonishing-10m-pay-Everton-sacking-more.html

this could have been kept as an undisclosed sum, Martinez surely wouldn't feel good about this getting out - he should be ashamed.

Kenwright? I certainly don't think he wants this getting out - ridiculously amateur contract offer which offered zero incentive to do well in his job. You can reward a manager financially, protect your asset and incentivise them at the same time.

Moshiri? - I think it stands to reason that he wants this getting out. Koeman comes in with Walsh - Dominic King (Kenwright mouthpiece) subtly critical of walsh, Koeman is Moshiri's man and did not hesitate in highlighting the fact that the last signing made under the old watch was Niasse... who has no place in his plans. He supported the actions of the club in the window... King never.

In short Moshiri has walked into a club that has seen nearly £30m wasted since January on bad decisions (Niasse, Martinez, and the money to rectify the Martinez mistake).... I think he needs that to be out there.

My prediction? Elstone to be the fall guy. Moshiri's man to be CEO.

Thank goodness Moshiri came in.... Martinez would still be here "what a manager" was Bills comment back in March.... Ryanetsev wanted Martinez gone immediately after the derby and faced opposition according to watched toffee.

Edited by Hafnia

reading into comments made by Colin Fitzpatrick - there is suggestions that there is a power battle going on at the club....

It stands to reason that this is the case.

this could have been kept as an undisclosed sum, Martinez surely wouldn't feel good about this getting out - he should be ashamed.

Kenwright? I certainly don't think he wants this getting out - ridiculously amateur contract offer which offered zero incentive to do well in his job. You can reward a manager financially, protect your asset and incentivise them at the same time.

Moshiri? - I think it stands to reason that he wants this getting out. Koeman comes in with Walsh - Dominic King (Kenwright mouthpiece) subtly critical of walsh, Koeman is Moshiri's man and did not hesitate in highlighting the fact that the last signing made under the old watch was Niasse... who has no place in his plans. He supported the actions of the club in the window... King never.

In short Moshiri has walked into a club that has seen nearly £30m wasted since January on bad decisions (Niasse, Martinez, and the money to rectify the Martinez mistake).... I think he needs that to be out there.

My prediction? Elstone to be the fall guy. Moshiri's man to be CEO.

Thank goodness Moshiri came in.... Martinez would still be here "what a manager" was Bills comment back in March.... Ryanetsev wanted Martinez gone immediately after the derby and faced opposition according to watched toffee.

In fairness that was, I'm pretty sure, just after we'd beaten Chelsea to reach the FA Cup semi (two goals from Lukaku, one from each foot ;)) so I think we were all a bit happy that day :).

In fairness that was, I'm pretty sure, just after we'd beaten Chelsea to reach the FA Cup semi (two goals from Lukaku, one from each foot ;)) so I think we were all a bit happy that day :).

from 6 yards? yep.

The very game after many Evertonians myself included had finally had enough of him - the West Ham fiasco which in all seriousness was a complete and utter joke.

At that stage we had lost 30 games of the previous 54 - radio phone ins were full of fans saying "sack now" - Ronnie Goodlass couldn't hide his fume.

Yet just one game later we were being told "WHAT A MANAGER" - it was a bit of an insult to intelligence, the fans were more or less being told "you are stuck with him"..... but the fans had had enough,

I was one of his staunchest supporters and argued that he should have been given time..... time was well and truly up. It was only our chairman that couldn't see that and was very reluctant to do anything about it..... because we couldn't afford to sack him.

Funny, we only seen a change in Martinez's arrogance/petulence when Moshiri came in, by which stage it was too late

Now you start seeing where some money has gone!

£10mill to Martinez for 3 years left on his contract. You can imagine a big fee for Walsh who had not long signed a new 4 year (?) contract. And Koeman had a few years to run too.

It all adds up.

Yeah, £20m on managers and the DoF. Insane.

Lets get this straight..... most fans were delighted with him first season and could see Barca come knocking - I certainly thought so.

Would have I said "go sign him on a 5 year deal where we pretty much have to pay up everything if we sack him?"

ABSOLUTELY NOT.... then again I wouldn't have signed the kitbag or chang deal either.

The game is awash with sacked managers who take a slight demotion for similar pay which effectively mutes any comp payment they were to enjoy. Essentially a stupid decision has cost the club a fair chunk of money. If he never had a water tight contract in his favour he would be in China now on more money than he was with us - instead he could afford to take a £250k a year part time job with more prestige.

Fuming about this. Not for the first time the clowns in charge have cost us a fortune.

Edited by Hafnia

So cup goals don't count and neither do ones from six yards, fair enough.

How far out does he have to score from for it to be valid out of interest?

My point was that he cant put his right foot through it was it not? Well why i am i asking... yes it was.

Defenders show him onto his right peg cos its garbage. They invite him to shoot on it!

I can't begin to tell you how fucking angry I am at this. It stinks of Kenwrights ineptitude. Giving him that massive contract after 1 season was absurd.

Cheeky bastard taking that much anyway, we should have given him Niasse and called it quits. After him signing him he should pay us compo.

Martinez is a fucking fraud and he's half ruined us and also ripped us off while doing it. He's like a confidence trickster tricking a lonely old divorcee.

My point was that he cant put his right foot through it was it not? Well why i am i asking... yes it was.

Defenders show him onto his right peg cos its garbage. They invite him to shoot on it!

Can I just point out that for his second goal there he was closer to 12 yards out not 6 and he did put his foot through it

But to be fair it probably still doesn't count because he had orange boots on

His last signing Niasse - £13m, his comp £10m, probably ruining James McCarthy £15m

turned out to be quite expensive didn't he.

Sometimes you are a tool Haf when you see only one side of the argument...

Maybe he should get a cut of the Stones deal for making him the £50mil player he is or maybe a cut from the Lukaku deal when he eventually leaves too? Fuck it, might as well give him the whole Naismith fee as almost everyone wanted him gone before Martinez turned him into a gem.

Likewise maybe Walsh should have to pay Leicester for losing money on Kramaric?

If I was Martinez I would have been doing the exact same thing and so would everyone else on here.

Maybe he should get a cut of the Stones deal for making him the £50mil player he is or maybe a cut from the Lukaku deal when he eventually leaves too? Fuck it, might as well give him the whole Naismith fee as almost everyone wanted him gone before Martinez turned him into a gem.

If I was Martinez I would have been doing the exact same thing and so would everyone else on here.

I agree with your point but you called Naismith a gem.

Who you callin a tool?

I can accept footballers improve. I can accept footballers decline. Does the manager get a cut of this? No of course not.

Spending £13m on a player who cant play football is a complete and utter piss take.

Playing a footballer who is injured on 3 occassions destroying his hamstrings... supposedly being a qualified physio is a piss take.

I supported martinez where applicable so dont tell me that i only see one side.