IGNORED

Marketing rights, matchday advertising and Finch Farm naming rights sold

Louis

The Guardian are reporting that the naming rights for Finch Farm have been sold in a five year deal to USM Holdings which is owned by Arsenal co-owner and friend of Farhad Moshirir, Alisher Usmanov.

Finch Farm will be known as "USM Finch Farm".

The link for the article is not yet live on the website.

Update: Liverpool Echo link: http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/evertons-finch-farm-training-ground-12413265

Ivan Streshinsky, Member of the Board of Directors of USM Holdings said: “The naming of Finch Farm, and the extensive package of marketing rights, provides USM and the businesses within our group with unique year-round global media exposure.
"We’ve done considerable research into what this partnership can deliver for us and we’re very excited about the difference this will make as we continue to build our brands.”
Mr Elstone added: “We are really pleased to welcome USM into our commercial portfolio as training ground naming rights partner.
"I’m sure that the marketing platform this provides USM and its businesses will help them achieve their growth objectives.
"It is a significant and exciting deal for Everton as we continue to grow our commercial revenues.
"We’ve invested heavily into our training facilities over recent years and this deal means we can continue to provide top class facilities, which we know plays an important role in attracting the best playing talent, from academy right through to first-team.”
Edited by Louis

Apparently helps us massively get around FFP.

For me, Usmanov is backing the club indirectly, whilst Moshiri runs the show, then eventually he can take majority ownership of it. But that's my take.

Be interesting to see our shirt sponsor too. Wouldn't be surprised if it was another branch of Usmanov's ventures, like his phone company, Megafon.

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/01/05/training-ground-naming-rights-deal

Everton Football Club has confirmed a naming rights partnership with USM Holdings which will see the Russian-based group become the Club’s first ever training ground partner. The initial five-year deal, commencing in January 2017, will see the Halewood training ground renamed USM Finch Farm.
Aside from the naming and branding of the training ground, USM will also benefit from a set of global marketing rights including presence on media interview backdrops, LED advertising at Goodison Park on matchdays, VIP hospitality and player access for brands within the group.
Businesses within USM Holdings include Metalloinvest, the largest mining company in Russia and the CIS and the leading global manufacturer of hot briquetted iron, Baikal Mining Company, which owns one of the largest copper reserves in the world, MegaFon, one of the major telecommunications operators in Russia, and Mail.Ru Group, the Russian internet leader and owner of Russia’s most popular social networks VKontakte and Odnoklassniki.
The group also has stakes in digital companies including Alibaba, JD.com, Xiaomi, Uber, Spotify, Airbnb, Zalando, Flipkart, Ola Cabs, Didi Chuxing, ZocDoc and Klarna, and is a major investor in ESforce, one of the key players in the global e-sports market. The group is also responsible for UTH Russia, one of Russia’s largest media and entertainment groups which features TV channels in Russia and CIS including Disney, CTC, U, Muz TV, Che and Domashny; Kommersant Publishing House, the number one business media organisation in Russia; and Khimki Group, one of the leaders in the Russian property development industry.

Apparently helps us massively get around FFP.

For me, Usmanov is backing the club indirectly, whilst Moshiri runs the show, then eventually he can take majority ownership of it. But that's my take.

Be interesting to see our shirt sponsor too. Wouldn't be surprised if it was another branch of Usmanov's ventures, like his phone company, Megafon.

Years ago, I used to know the C-level executives at Megafon well. I remember eating dinner with several of them in a fancy restaurant in Moscow under which the body of Lenin is sometimes kept. I'll have to track down their business cards to see whether Usmanov was among them. For sure, those around the table included the CEO and several of his direct reports.

On one visit (to their operation in St. Petersburg), they insisted on giving me a copy of their latest marketing campaign - which was in Penthouse magazine. On several pages, there were full-page pictures of models wearing nothing other than a strategically placed Megafon logo. Imagine the reception I got at the next senior management meeting when they asked for details of that program. It took days to get over the embarrassment. And you can guess my wife's reaction when she came across the magazine. :)

Looking back, I have to say that the Megafon executive team was quite savvy. They entered markets where two very large companies dominated and won a significant share of their business. It was fun working with them on this, and I enjoyed my visited there.

This is great news for us, as it lets us spend on the next couple of transfer windows.

I agree with the other posters that Usmanov is the power behind the thrown, using his holding company to sponsor Finch Farm is a demonstration of this.

Once we get the stadium I believe Usmanov will reveal his hand.

No mention of how much they're paying us there, unless I've missed it?

What we know is that this sponsorship and the shirt sponsorship together are worth up to £15m per year (Elstone said there was £75m worth of sponsorship, this is a five year deal).

This comment in the Daily Mail :

USM Holdings. USM being the initials of the three owners: Usmanov, Skotch and Moshiri. Still, I suppose saying an Arsenal shareholder is investing in Everton is a more interesting headline than saying Farhad Moshiri is using one of his own companies to invest in his own football team...

Don't know if USM does in fact refer to Moshiri but maybe there is no second billionaire connection..

Apparently because the Usmanov doesn't have a controlling interest in the club it is fine.

To me, funding and directly influencing how a club earns money and can therefore buy players/pay wages is quite an important part of being a part of a football club. Ok so he can't influence who we buy but we might not have been able to afford said player without those funds.

Very strange, not that I am complaining. It's a bloody good idea!

They've tried to run him out for a while, the American fella wants his shares I think.

yep exactly. stan kroenke is a scumbag of an owner, just look to his dealings with the St.Louis now LA Rams. Held the city hostage to build him a new stadium, wooed LA and then jumped ship and moved to LA for mega stadium and television rights. the team has been awful for years and no sign of change, he doesn't care, he's printing money from st. Louis and now the LA people will get tickets because they finally have a team, regardless of how good they are.

Usmanov and Moshiri both were upset they couldn't join the board and so I see this as their "way out" after years of frustration. Why try and battle Kroenke, just go buy another club and become bigger/better than Arsenal.

Let's be honest, Emirates is massive and very nice, but a waterfront stadium? That's legendary real estate there.

yep exactly. stan kroenke is a scumbag of an owner, just look to his dealings with the St.Louis now LA Rams. Held the city hostage to build him a new stadium, wooed LA and then jumped ship and moved to LA for mega stadium and television rights. the team has been awful for years and no sign of change, he doesn't care, he's printing money from st. Louis and now the LA people will get tickets because they finally have a team, regardless of how good they are.

Usmanov and Moshiri both were upset they couldn't join the board and so I see this as their "way out" after years of frustration. Why try and battle Kroenke, just go buy another club and become bigger/better than Arsenal.

Let's be honest, Emirates is massive and very nice, but a waterfront stadium? That's legendary real estate there.

Because Usamov is well known to be a huge Arsenal fan, I'd be the same if I was in the same position with Everton, do you give up and go help a rival or do you stick it out, keep trying and trying at the club you love?

I think its a matter of time before he does come here but I do see this training complex sponsorship as a pre warning to Arsenal, basically a "let me in or I'm off" sort of warning shot.

Because Usamov is well known to be a huge Arsenal fan, I'd be the same if I was in the same position with Everton, do you give up and go help a rival or do you stick it out, keep trying and trying at the club you love?

I think its a matter of time before he does come here but I do see this training complex sponsorship as a pre warning to Arsenal, basically a "let me in or I'm off" sort of warning shot.

The battles he has had with Kroenke are legendary apparently. The key moment came a couple of years back when shares became available and Usamov was not allowed to enter the board. He may be an Arsenal fan but he is well known to be frustrated and may see no option but to take his money elsewhere.

Given Morshiri and Usamov's business and personal relationship, I doubt any of this would have been done without agreement between the two. They would not put themselves in competition with each other, nor would Usamov sponsor another team unless there was a plan. To quote General Beuford at the battle of Gettysburg "There is power behind it!"

Good thought Aaron I didn't think of it like that. A subtle way of making kroenke shit or get off the pot.

He will never aquire a majority share whilst Kroenke is there so he's fighting a losing battle if that's the case

It's not a case of let me in or I'll go it's impossible for him to have his situation improved due to the control and shares that Kroenke owns he calls the shots and won't budge an inch

I did a fair bit of reading into it when Moshiri first came on board expecting him to follow suit down the line and I'm still positive he will

Edited by EFC-Paul

So how does the share system work? Hypothetically speaking is Usmanov was doing this behind the scenes in order to eventually take majority ownership of this club, would the chairman decide that he could have those shares and they would be purchased from the many shareholders who have the other 51 or so %, or would each share holder have to personally agree to sell their shares to Usmanov?

I don't understand business what so every but I know there is a couple of the lads on here that do, if you could help me out uderstand this.

So how does the share system work? Hypothetically speaking is Usmanov was doing this behind the scenes in order to eventually take majority ownership of this club, would the chairman decide that he could have those shares and they would be purchased from the many shareholders who have the other 51 or so %, or would each share holder have to personally agree to sell their shares to Usmanov?

I don't understand business what so every but I know there is a couple of the lads on here that do, if you could help me out uderstand this.

Its all guess work and hypothetical at the moment. If I had to guess then I would imagine there is a plan for Kenwright to sell his shares to Usmanov at a certain point lets say when the stadium is done. But that's just speculation.