IGNORED

2018 World Cup

17 hours ago, Sir McGiven said:

I think if FIFA or whoever developing it, somehow eliminate refs to stop the game and watch positions again from the screen, it can be more productive and less wasted time on the pitch.

There are other refs in the room who are able to watch the suspicious positions from the screens where different angles are also available. So 1 main ref on the pitch and 1 main ref in VAR room (this guy will be responsible only if a misjudged position occurs) will be better.

In general, I think it is a pretty good solution, it can be a good thing if it can be developed better.

I dont know if rugby union is big in Turkey but thats more or less how it works. The off field ref gives clear advice and information to the on field ref and can ask to take a look at foul play etc when the game stops. They also review all the important moments as well and they discuss the decision (which we can all hear) whilst viewing the big screen.

1 minute ago, tonkaroost said:

Man, Argentina really lack creativity beyond Messi, and Hiquain just blew a good chance. 

I will say that Nigeria's penalty was so soft. 

This game has proven what I said yesterday about players looking for the foul with VAR. There is no way Mascherano pulls the attacker down for the penalty and then at the other end Di Maria is waiting for the faintest of touches to go down claiming for a penalty.

4 minutes ago, Bailey said:

This game has proven what I said yesterday about players looking for the foul with VAR. There is no way Mascherano pulls the attacker down for the penalty and then at the other end Di Maria is waiting for the faintest of touches to go down claiming for a penalty.

Idk -- in today's game players are always looking for the foul. I don't think this is a new thing created by VAR. 

14 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

Idk -- in today's game players are always looking for the foul. I don't think this is a new thing created by VAR. 

Completely, I dont mean that its something that has only just been created but it just turns it up another notch.

25 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

I like the VAR system.  Players know the incident will be reviewed so no point in trying to fool the referee.  System needs some adjustments but definitely a positive evolution.

Just now, holystove said:

I like the VAR system.  Players know the incident will be reviewed so no point in trying to fool the referee.  System needs some adjustments but definitely a positive evolution.

I'm okay with it also. I know some feel that errors are just part of the game, but I'd rather every call be right (for the most part), so that it's all fair. It will take some time to make it more efficient and accurate, but I think it's the right move to implement it.  

49 minutes ago, tonkaroost said:

But late in game when it was 2-1, Messi got that long ball and was chasing into the box, feet got tangled a bit, but he stayed up, lost possession, and tackled the defender with a slide at the touch line.  He was in the box at speed and did NOT go down, but continued to fight for the ball. So, I would agree, players are going to play the way they play regardless. If that would have been Neymar, he would have gone down and rolled halfway to Estonia holding his spleen. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

I dont know if rugby union is big in Turkey but thats more or less how it works. The off field ref gives clear advice and information to the on field ref and can ask to take a look at foul play etc when the game stops. They also review all the important moments as well and they discuss the decision (which we can all hear) whilst viewing the big screen.

Nah mate, It is only being played in colleges, no official senior leagues as far as I know.

Not sure being hear about it suits football but rest is quite good enough.

11 hours ago, tonkaroost said:

I'm okay with it also. I know some feel that errors are just part of the game, but I'd rather every call be right (for the most part), so that it's all fair. It will take some time to make it more efficient and accurate, but I think it's the right move to implement it.  

Maybe the VAR shouldn't be allowed to intervene, but each team could get 3 challenges like in Tennis.  If your challenge was correct, you don't loose one of your 3.   isn'tt there a similar system in the NFL, but with only one challenge? 

3 hours ago, holystove said:

Maybe the VAR shouldn't be allowed to intervene, but each team could get 3 challenges like in Tennis.  If your challenge was correct, you don't loose one of your 3.   isn'ttt there a similar system in the NFL, but with only one challenge? 

Cricket uses the same system.

4 hours ago, holystove said:

Maybe the VAR shouldn't be allowed to intervene, but each team could get 3 challenges like in Tennis.  If your challenge was correct, you don't loose one of your 3.   isn'ttt there a similar system in the NFL, but with only one challenge? 

Yes, with the caveat that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed.