IGNORED

2018 World Cup

8 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He's got one of the most talented squads in world football and nearly blew it.  Japan cut through them with ease to score the 2 goals. 

Got out of jail. 

On that display like the pundits said we dodged a bullet with Japan, I'd say we dodged a 20lb artillery round they were immense.

23 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He's got one of the most talented squads in world football and nearly blew it.  Japan cut through them with ease to score the 2 goals. 

Martinez changed the game with those two substitutions.  Japan didnt cut through anything, they played very well and organised and made two very well taken goals after defensive errors.

Also, Lukaku showed with that stepover for the last goal that he isn'tt just a great goalscorer but a very good football player.

45 minutes ago, holystove said:

Martinez changed the game with those two substitutions.  Japan didnt cut through anything, they played very well and organised and made two very well taken goals after defensive errors.

Also, Lukaku showed with that stepover for the last goal that he isn'ttt just a great goalscorer but a very good football player.

Oh dear. Please no. Please, save it for the Lukaku thread. Please God. 

Japan did really well - played to their style, lucky to not concede earlier but didn't capitulate when it went to 2-2 but rather slowly grew back into the game... Extra time would've been interesting.

Martinez needs a semifinal or final run here.... If he had gone out at the round of 16 with a performance like that against Japan, he would've really given the pundits ammo who say he's not cut for the top level. A surprise run for Belgium maybe, just maybe, could get his name tossed around some big national jobs or European qualified club jobs.

3 hours ago, holystove said:

Also, Lukaku showed with that stepover for the last goal that he isn'ttt just a great goalscorer but a very good football player.

"Let it go!!!"

That's what chadli shouted. 

3 hours ago, holystove said:

Chadli could have shouted whatever he wanted, 2014-Lukaku would have blasted that ball into the stands with his shin.

I'm saying his footballing skills have improved a lot.

If you want me to give him credit for letting it go to the man shouting for it behind him then I will say "well done for not being selfish".... Was it a skill? No. 

18 hours ago, Quinn31 said:

Oh dear. Please no. Please, save it for the Lukaku thread. Please God. 

Japan did really well - played to their style, lucky to not concede earlier but didn't capitulate when it went to 2-2 but rather slowly grew back into the game... Extra time would've been interesting.

Martinez needs a semifinal or final run here.... If he had gone out at the round of 16 with a performance like that against Japan, he would've really given the pundits ammo who say he's not cut for the top level. A surprise run for Belgium maybe, just maybe, could get his name tossed around some big national jobs or European qualified club jobs.

Belgium’s ranked 3rd in the world. How is that not a big national job?

4 hours ago, johnh said:

Japan have gone home as my favourite 'other' team of the tournament.

must admit my favourite other team is England so I am pleased as hell to see them in the last 16  Sweden was my choice for an outside bet, along with France.

23 hours ago, nyblue23 said:

Belgium’s ranked 3rd in the world. How is that not a big national job?

Bit of a golden age for them - not sure they'll be at that position in 5-10 years - Belgium definitely not in the tier of Brazil, Spain, Germany, France in terms of the status and perception of the job. 

6 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

Bit of a golden age for them - not sure they'll be at that position in 5-10 years - Belgium definitely not in the tier of Brazil, Spain, Germany, France in terms of the status and perception of the job. 

Seeing as the only important national job that has been occupied for longer than 6 years is Germany and turnover is so regular, that perception doesn’t seem like it matters anymore. I’m not sure there’s a bigger national team manager position in the world right now than Belgium in their golden age. I’m also not sure how he got the gig in the first place.

5 minutes ago, nyblue23 said:

Seeing as the only important national job that has been occupied for longer than 6 years is Germany and turnover is so regular, that perception doesn’t seem like it matters anymore. I’m not sure there’s a bigger national team manager position in the world right now than Belgium in their golden age. I’m also not sure how he got the gig in the first place.

What I'm trying to say is that I think he might really fancy the Spain job, but will need to create a new perception of himself at Belgium to land a job like that... 

1 minute ago, Quinn31 said:

What I'm trying to say is that I think he might really fancy the Spain job, but will need to create a new perception of himself at Belgium to land a job like that... 

Fair enough. You might be right. That’s the only job I could see him coveting, but I’m not sure he’ll ever overcome his anti-defensive reputation enough to land it.

15 hours ago, Bill said:

Maguire looks a bit overweight but he's had a good tournament so far.

Can't remember the game but there was a shot of him beforehand or after with his shirt off he's surprisingly trimmed no excess fat whatsoever

He's got a big noggin and built like a tank, deceptive body shape that's all 

12 hours ago, Finn balor said:

I think he has lucked out with the Belgium job. Probably paid average money because he doesn’t need it as we are still paying him. They won’t make the final 

God help us if they win it. Martinez still bangs on about getting to two Cup semi finals and 11th like it was an achievement he'll be up there with the '5 times' lot for annoyance if he gets a world cup. We'll never hear the end of it.