IGNORED

2018 World Cup

Sad to see Belgium go out like that. Really don’t like seeing Mbappe’s tactics there at the end. Not great from a player so young and so good.

Belgium easily could have had two and inarguably should have had a free kick from a very dangerous area in the last ten minutes thanks to Hazard. Just not a pretty finish.

7 minutes ago, Ghoat said:

He has been invisible. The formation with him on the right and DeBryune central worked really well last game.

Lack of bravery was the difference. Fellaini should have had his head right through that ball.... lukaku just never had any desire on his 3 chances. He was walking round - world cup fuckin semi final.

11 minutes ago, holystove said:

Hazard, Courtois, Kompany and Witsel were good enough but the others not so much. 

Martinez: mistake to take out Fellaini, waited to long to bring on Batshuayi, should have ordered players not to beat England.

Good luck against Croatia.

I'm absolutely bemused.....  watching some of your players like hazard, kompany, de bruyne - you could sense the desperation and enormity of what they were on the brink of achieving.

Lukaku was excellent against Brazil - tonight he wasn't even arsed. He should be putting his head through a cement mixer... absolutely no movement or commitment.   He wanted to leave us for the supposed big games- why? He isn'tt arsed at all.

I feel sorry for you. There was very little between the sides. Chadli was lackin quality and should have been off quick. 

56 minutes ago, rubecula said:

just finished off a beer from Holland as I can't for the life of me remember a good Belgian beer.

Duvel, served in a "tulip" glass with a big head on it. When I was in Zeebrugge many moons ago someone bought me one and said "try that". Tilting the glass as you normally would your nose gets hit by the head and you choke on the strength before the beer even hits your mouth, you have to literally roll your head backwards to get to it. After a couple you wake up in Antwerp and then try to find your wallet and passport (that may just have been me).

They bottled it as usual. France getting stronger and stronger . If we make it through the semis we will have to think about Kante. He will dominate that midfield and will find pockets between the Centre backs that we haven’t been tested on so far. Especially between young and McGuire where Mbappe likes to get into. 

11 hours ago, hafnia said:

Lack of bravery was the difference. Fellaini should have had his head right through that ball.... lukaku just never had any desire on his 3 chances. He was walking round - world cup fuckin semi final.

We've witnessed this on many occasions though, haven't we?!

Has an absolute blinder...then disappears for games on end. Dame old same. Will never change.

7 minutes ago, Newty82 said:

We've witnessed this on many occasions though, haven't we?!

Has an absolute blinder...then disappears for games on end. Dame old same. Will never change.

This is what makes me laugh about him.... comes out with the "We were so poor we drank watered down milk and I ordered my balls to drop at the age of 9 so I could play pro football at 16.  Ever since that day I have required a hydration drip after each game because I put so much effort in"....

Fookin bullshit.  The man simply responds to how he feels on that particular day.... if he's not arsed it doesn't matter what game it is.  Usually after a very good game he puts his slippers on as he feels he has nothing to prove.

I honestly couldn't believe what I was watching last night.  He didn't even look arsed at the final whistle.  

A shame we couldn't get the win, but I'm still very proud, and very happy with the way this World Cup has gone: the comeback victory against Japan and the knockout win against Brazil are two games that will be remembered for a very long time and I now have a life-long enemy (Mbappé and the French national team as a whole).

About the game, think there wasn't that much in it. If we had scored first, perhaps we could have won it, but coming from behind we didn't really create that many opportunities to get that goal in the second half. In hindsight, perhaps we should have been a bit more adventurous and should have started with Carrasco at right back in place of Chadli, who got the ball a lot and was lacking in quality in the end (weird to have him take all of the corner kicks instead of De Bruyne as well). Especially as they don't really threaten that much down that flank either with Matuidi playing there. Dembélé was inserted because he's so strong on the ball and rarely loses it and yesterday he just kept dribbling himself into trouble and losing the ball. Don't think Witsel had a bad game, but you know a head of time that he's not going to pass it forward that much and that he can't shoot from distance. Fellaini mostly did his job shadowing Pogba, but should have gotten to the corner kick Umtiti scored from first. And once he had to move down to the left wing, Martinez should have subbed him immediately because obviously playing him there isn'tt going to help penetrating France's defensive bloc but Bobby let that go on far too long. De Bruyne had a lot of bad passes, we couldn't really involve Lukaku at all, Hazard was up for it I thought but he can't do it all by himself and yesterday he often had to come collect the ball in or near his own half and with France's entire defensive bloc still between him and the goal to get a touch.

Hopefully this squad can still perform in the Euros two years from now, because a lot of the defenders and midfielders and Mertens will be past it for the next World Cup. Thankfully the Hazard, Lukaku, De Bruyne trio and Courtois will still be good to go four years from now and hopefully Tielemans will have progressed (he needs to play though!), but other than them, we might be needing to build a whole new core and there aren't that many talents waiting in the wings anymore it looks like.

2 hours ago, Steve_E said:

A shame we couldn't get the win, but I'm still very proud, and very happy with the way this World Cup has gone: the comeback victory against Japan and the knockout win against Brazil are two games that will be remembered for a very long time and I now have a life-long enemy (Mbappé and the French national team as a whole).

About the game, think there wasn't that much in it. If we had scored first, perhaps we could have won it, but coming from behind we didn't really create that many opportunities to get that goal in the second half. In hindsight, perhaps we should have been a bit more adventurous and should have started with Carrasco at right back in place of Chadli, who got the ball a lot and was lacking in quality in the end (weird to have him take all of the corner kicks instead of De Bruyne as well). Especially as they don't really threaten that much down that flank either with Matuidi playing there. Dembélé was inserted because he's so strong on the ball and rarely loses it and yesterday he just kept dribbling himself into trouble and losing the ball. Don't think Witsel had a bad game, but you know a head of time that he's not going to pass it forward that much and that he can't shoot from distance. Fellaini mostly did his job shadowing Pogba, but should have gotten to the corner kick Umtiti scored from first. And once he had to move down to the left wing, Martinez should have subbed him immediately because obviously playing him there isn'tttt going to help penetrating France's defensive bloc but Bobby let that go on far too long. De Bruyne had a lot of bad passes, we couldn't really involve Lukaku at all, Hazard was up for it I thought but he can't do it all by himself and yesterday he often had to come collect the ball in or near his own half and with France's entire defensive bloc still between him and the goal to get a touch.

Hopefully this squad can still perform in the Euros two years from now, because a lot of the defenders and midfielders and Mertens will be past it for the next World Cup. Thankfully the Hazard, Lukaku, De Bruyne trio and Courtois will still be good to go four years from now and hopefully Tielemans will have progressed (he needs to play though!), but other than them, we might be needing to build a whole new core and there aren't that many talents waiting in the wings anymore it looks like.

France were so defensive, in retrospect he should have started Mertens instead of playing 3 defensive midfielders.  I disagree about taking off Fellaini sooner; when you are 1-0 down with 20 minutes to go, he's the one player you need to park in the oppositions' box.
Varane and Umtiti were very strong so I doubt we could have scored twice; we had one very good chance with Alderweireld which Lloris saved.  

Courtois made three great saves, and Giroud screwed up a couple of chances so no complaints from me.  Too bad the referee was poor though, that free kick might have resulted in a goal.