IGNORED

2018 World Cup

Weirdly it was probably the worst I have seen Dembele on the ball. He made some excellent blocks/tackles to make up for it but it was still a surprise to see him so wasteful. I imagine some of it was to do with his options as neither Witsel nor Fellaini exactly find themselves a lot of space.

3 hours ago, markjazzbassist said:

that's part of it, plus i just can't get behind any of the players, i've hated most of them from the premier league i'm not going to just start liking them for a WC.  

I can respect that. The biggest problem I have with the players is they generally just play on teams that beat my team. But Kane, Henderson Alli etc strike me as guys just keep their head down and get on with it without a lot of fuss, likeable all in all - and I'm familiar with every single player on the team, more so than I even am with USMNT. 

And although they don't speak American I can understand them, that's a plus!

When Southgate watches the game, does he see that the opposition break several times, really fast, catch us short of numbers at the back and create some panic in our defence? Whereas when we get possession at the back we pass it around at a leisurely pace, allowing ALL the opposition to get behind the ball.  We then pass it round until we lose it.

52 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Belgium are and should be in control any side with Jones Delph and Dier together you'd have to be fairly poor not to be  

Seems we're just giving a few of the lads minutes tbh 

There is no doubt in my mind both teams play to win this game, unlike the last game in group stage.

Just now, holystove said:

There is no doubt in my mind both teams play to win this game, unlike the last game in group stage.

Far more likely but we've fielded a weakened side again with players that are clearly not 100%

If we really wanted to win it he wouldn't have gone with that side 

28 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

After being tough and decisive to my mind Southgate gone a bit soft on this one. Kane clearly not 100%. Sterling was a waste of space, at least subbed.

I think Southgate has gone a bit soft in the head.   Losing 2 - 0, 10 minutes to go and he puts Delli Ali on as his final sub.  We really can't score in open play. 3 exceptionally good chances today plus 3 or 4 decent chances.  We also had several attempts from just outside the penalty area and not one resulted in a decent powerful shot.  They were like pass-backs to the goalie.

3 hours ago, EFC-Paul said:

Far more likely but we've fielded a weakened side again with players that are clearly not 100%

If we really wanted to win it he wouldn't have gone with that side 

I very much doubt that he would have fielded the likes of Kane and Trippier if he wasnt trying to win the game. 

4 hours ago, holystove said:

Well deserved for Belgium.  I'm biased, but I think they were the best team this WC, sadly not the smartest.

Beating Brazil, England twice, .. not bad.

Can't disagree with this.  Was surprised they lost to France, I think it was 'on the night'.  Belgium would beat France probably 4 out of 6.  If  both teams had taken their chances today, Belgium would have won about 5 - 3

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I very much doubt that he would have fielded the likes of Kane and Trippier if he wasnt trying to win the game. 

I doubt we'd have fielded the likes of Delph Jones and Dier if we wanted to win... Flip side to it mate but to me it pointed more to them not being overly arsed which way it went 

Kane clearly isn'ttt fit or a 100% so I wouldn't even count him in 

9 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

I doubt we'd have fielded the likes of Delph Jones and Dier if we wanted to win... Flip side to it mate but to me it pointed more to them not being overly arsed which way it went 

Kane clearly isn'tttt fit or a 100% so I wouldn't even count him in 

Southgate has shown that they are all his go to guys when one of the starters isnt fit enough. I think the last two have been used quite a lot under Southgate throughout qualifying? 

If Kane wasnt fit then I dont see why Southgate would start him if he didnt want to win the game? It doesnt make any sense to me.