IGNORED

2018 World Cup

5 hours ago, pete0 said:

God help us if they win it. Martinez still bangs on about getting to two Cup semi finals and 11th like it was an achievement he'll be up there with the '5 times' lot for annoyance if he gets a world cup. We'll never hear the end of it. 

Given he has won the FA cup I am pretty sure he doesnt give too many fucks. 

The reason he put that much stock into them cups is he believed that its what us fans wanted above all else, which he was kind of right, which in turn would give him more time in the job. 

I still cant believe we didnt beat Utd in that FA cup semi. We absolutely battered them in that second half and got sucker punched by that Martial goal.

On 28/06/2018 at 17:02, Steve_E said:

I'm leaving for Sevilla for five days on Monday and apparently the winner of Group G plays the quarter finals (if they make it that far) on 6 July 8pm CET. As I'll be on the plane back home then, I might actually be actively rooting for England to win tonight… 🤔

I've booked an early flight and will be watching Belgium - Brazil in Brussels :D

Hope Martinez has learned from the Japan game and will finally stop playing three at the back. He should play Vertonghen, Kompany, Alderweireld, Meunier in defense, De Bruyne hasn't performed offensively or defensively in his current role, so I would either play Fellaini and Dembele (Witsel once again at fault for Japan's second goal) with De Bruyne ahead of them or I would drop Mertens and play De Bruyne on the right. 

If he insists on playing three at the back, he has to leave out Carrasco, move Vertonghen into left wing back and play Vermaelen next to Kompany and Alderweireld.

47 minutes ago, Steve_E said:

I've booked an early flight and will be watching Belgium - Brazil in Brussels :D

Hope Martinez has learned from the Japan game and will finally stop playing three at the back. He should play Vertonghen, Kompany, Alderweireld, Meunier in defense, De Bruyne hasn't performed offensively or defensively in his current role, so I would either play Fellaini and Dembele (Witsel once again at fault for Japan's second goal) with De Bruyne ahead of them or I would drop Mertens and play De Bruyne on the right. 

If he insists on playing three at the back, he has to leave out Carrasco, move Vertonghen into left wing back and play Vermaelen next to Kompany and Alderweireld.

I agree, the three doesnt work well enough. I think he is probably using the 3 to give Hazard that free role rather than give him resposibility from a wide position. I feel like it sacrifices De Bruyne considerably though as he needs protection behind him to be at his best.

11 minutes ago, hafnia said:

This game could be 2-2.... Brazil had chances from corners.  Lukaku playing well, Brazil and Belgium both look weak at back. 

Belgium is getting legs and feet everywhere, that have blocked/deflected shot after shot

12 minutes ago, yamar said:

shit that Martinez isn'tttt he 😂😂😂

He wasn't... he just got carried away with himself and lost the dressing room and fans.

He can't moan - he got too arrogant.  He had the perfect balance in the first year.  The mistakes being made and overpaying was horrendous.

He's probably learned but let's face it - that team he's got is the strongest on paper in terms of individual talent in the world cup. By some distance too. 

Just now, EFC-Paul said:

Very poor from the ref and VAR room clear pens would have made it far more interesting

Defending well Belgium though won't be surprised if they get another on the counter Miranda is struggling with Lukaku 

Lukaku and fellaini having the types of games you wanted them to have in a blue shirt but seen all too rarely.  100% up for it. 

28 minutes ago, hafnia said:

He wasn't... he just got carried away with himself and lost the dressing room and fans.

He can't moan - he got too arrogant.  He had the perfect balance in the first year.  The mistakes being made and overpaying was horrendous.

He's probably learned but let's face it - that team he's got is the strongest on paper in terms of individual talent in the world cup. By some distance too. 

Didn't matter haf, you still need to win with them. The last manager proved that whatever good players at your disposal, you have to be a good manager.

And I don't think you could ever out marinez and arrogant in the same sentence. 

I don't know how anyone can defend Martinez's sacking or any correlation having success on the international stage with an absolute abundance of talent to domestic football...baffling

Curtis the tit Woodhouse tweeted something similar before, I wouldn't say he was arrogant but pig-headed and a decent manager with very little to offer when the shit hit the fan 

Just now, yamar said:

Didn't matter haf, you still need to win with them. The last manager proved that whatever good players at your disposal, you have to be a good manager.

And I don't think you could ever out marinez and arrogant in the same sentence. 

Arrogance isn'tt necessarily a personality trait...  it can be attributed to being defiantly rigid in your approach when it's been proven to not be working.

Martinez gave us the best season I've enjoyed under Everton in years - unfortunately he got carried away with himself. 

In the end he had to go. He looked fookin ill - rather than take stock of the situation and realise that his abandonment of any defensive pragmatism was costing him he just carried on blindly instructing the players to play out from the back.  We took forever to get the ball forward...

Btw he looks like a rabbit in headlights right now. Needs to change it. Brazil are smelling blood. 

7 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Totally blanked Martinez then not a happy chappy is the primma donna

Spotted that... He would sooner have the golden boot than a winner's medal. 

Fellaini MOTM for me.... one of those games he played like he did versus man city for us.  Sometimes he's a ball magnet.  Kompany and hazard also extremely good. 

46 minutes ago, EFC-Paul said:

Very poor from the ref and VAR room clear pen would have made it far more interesting

Defending well Belgium though won't be surprised if they get another on the counter Miranda is struggling with Lukaku 

No way a pen the ball was already out when contact was made.