IGNORED

2018 World Cup

Sweden made  a mega tactical mistake. When Germany went down to 10, Sweden should have put the quickest sub on with instructions to find space on the centre line.  Germany would have had to have a man back marking him or maybe even two.  Instead, Sweden had all 10 outfield players dropping back to the edge of their own penalty area with no outlet. Served them right really.

14 minutes ago, johnh said:

Sweden made  a mega tactical mistake. When Germany went down to 10, Sweden should have put the quickest sub on with instructions to find space on the centre line.  Germany would have had to have a man back marking him or maybe even two.  Instead, Sweden had all 10 outfield players dropping back to the edge of their own penalty area with no outlet. Served them right really.

Sadly I agree.

51 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What an unbelievable last five minutes. Either team could have won. 

It went from Guidetti taking a shot on when he should have squared it to a free teammate to the winger diving in when he should have just shown him the line. From the freekick Olsen seemed to get stuck in the ground by not using his feet well enough and from what should have been 2-1 Sweden became 2-1 Germany. What a bloody shame!

I dont think you can argue with those two performances. Normally we struggle to break these sides down however we created plenty in the first game and didnt finish them and did the same again yesterday (albeit aided largely from great work at set pieces). 

I just find it strange to see an England side look prepared, organised and one that seems to have done some important work on the training ground! 

Martinez will likely rest the Belgian players that have already been booked (De Bruyne, Vertonghen, Meunier) and those dealing with niggles (Hazard, Lukaku, Mertens) in the England game. Given the fact that you might be better off finishing second in the group, I'm pleased with that.

30 minutes ago, Steve_E said:

Given the fact that you might be better off finishing second in the group, I'm pleased with that.

On current evidence Belgium and England should both beat anyone from group H so from an England perspective I'd like to see few changes and try to win the game to keep the momentum going.

35 minutes ago, MikeO said:

On current evidence Belgium and England should both beat anyone from group H so from an England perspective I'd like to see few changes and try to win the game to keep the momentum going.

Finishing second probably isn'tt advantageous in the round of 16 as you'll likely meet Colombia, however it's about the quarter finals where whoever finishes second likely meets Serbia or Switzerland whereas who wins will likely meet Brazil or Germany.

It will be interesting to see how the managers approach it because I think it would send the wrong message to even suggest that winning the game isnt important (due to who you might meet). Its basically a way of saying "I dont think you can beat Brazil/Germany, so lets lose this game and play The Swiss/Serbia instead as you are probably good enough to beat those". 

I dont think there is a lot between these sides anyway. I'd fancy an England team on the counter at pace to cause more problems to Germany than the other 3 sides based on their 2 games so far. Brazil can be very dangerous, Serbia have a lot of talent too and the Swiss are enjoying a good run with an organised side. There isnt even any guarentee it will end up that way given how unpredictable those teams have been so far.

I would actually be more worried by getting through the round of 16 against Colombia or Senegal as both of them will cause a good team problems. Colombia have quality and Senegal have a lot of energy and are more unpredictable. 

If I was Southgate I would want us to keep winning. Let the draw develop however it develops and not worry about who you play and believe you can beat whoever it ends up being.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

The team that finishes second has to travel 3000 km less to reach the final.  That is a pretty important factor.

2 hours ago, Steve_E said:

Finishing second probably isn'ttt advantageous in the round of 16 as you'll likely meet Colombia, however it's about the quarter finals where whoever finishes second likely meets Serbia or Switzerland whereas who wins will likely meet Brazil or Germany.

Didn't realise that.

1 hour ago, holystove said:

The team that finishes second has to travel 3000 km less to reach the final.  That is a pretty important factor.

Or that.

Swings/roundabouts I guess, we're going to have to play decent sides at some point though if we want to progress; can't play Panama every game sadly.

7 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

The World Cup is supposed to be a testing competition. 

We beat Stoke, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Notts County, Southampton & Watford to win the Cup in '84, didn't make it any less fun:lol:.

That said, obviously the FA Cup is an open draw all the way (rightly so) while the WC is seeded (also rightly so) so there's not really any comparison. So I'll shut up:unsure:.

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

We beat Stoke, Gillingham, Shrewsbury, Notts County, Southampton & Watford to win the Cup in '84, didn't make it any less fun:lol:.

That said, obviously the FA Cup is an open draw all the way (rightly so) while the WC is seeded (also rightly so) so there's not really any comparison. So I'll shut up:unsure:.

I just mean that I don’t subscribe to trying, or even wanting, to do it easy. The World Cup is supposed to test you. 

Not sure I am a fan of VAR. 

I am not convinced we are actually achieving completely correct results and I really dont like players begging the ref to refer the matter upstairs. Its almost encouraging players to make the most of contact too and this is just the start. 

Its taking away from the enjoyment of watching a football match, certainly as a neutral. Im 100% behind it for objective calls but I'm not sure about subjective ones.

59 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Not sure I am a fan of VAR. 

I am not convinced we are actually achieving completely correct results and I really dont like players begging the ref to refer the matter upstairs. Its almost encouraging players to make the most of contact too and this is just the start. 

Its taking away from the enjoyment of watching a football match, certainly as a neutral. Im 100% behind it for objective calls but I'm not sure about subjective ones.

Good point Bailey about it encouraging them to go ground more often.  I’d never thought Of that and if that’s a by product I’ll be against it too. It’s bad enough as is.

I think if FIFA or whoever developing it, somehow eliminate refs to stop the game and watch positions again from the screen, it can be more productive and less wasted time on the pitch.

There are other refs in the room who are able to watch the suspicious positions from the screens where different angles are also available. So 1 main ref on the pitch and 1 main ref in VAR room (this guy will be responsible only if a misjudged position occurs) will be better.

In general, I think it is a pretty good solution, it can be a good thing if it can be developed better.

What is has done on occasion in American football is cause the ref to NOT make a call, and then let VAR look at it, I guess it can seem better to "defer" than to make a call and have to overturn it. But I think the system itself has merit.

More cards for simulation, and more cards for non-captains crowding around the ref after a call, and more cards for making "angry" contact with ref. Letting all that side it what gets game out of hand in the first place and makes everything life-or-death. That would affect the game more than VAR. I wish they would use VAR and start slapping cards on players who roll around like their spleen is ruptured stopping the game, and the replay shows he got a toe on his shinguards...

I think it will just take some time to perfect and make more efficient. It's still very new. It was never going to be an easy transition.

I really would've loved to have seen Ronaldo get a yellow for simulation in the penalty box when he was asking for a VAR review against Morocco. :)