IGNORED

2018 World Cup

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I think we dipped when Alli got "injured". It wasnt until Loftus-Cheek came on that we picked up again and created more from open play (despite our goal coming from a set piece). When Alli stopped making runs, Henderson stopped playing forward passes and we were more predictable.

The big problem for me was our left hand side. A right footed left centre back (who is a bit shit) alongside a right footed left back (who is also a bit shit) both cutting inside whenever they wanted to pass the ball.

Other than that though, I thought it was largely possible. Subs took a bit too long but they were the right ones and eventually we got the goal. We have clearly done a lot of work on the training ground on set pieces which is good to see. Pickford wasnt far off the penalty either!

the condition didn;'t help either

14 minutes ago, Steve_E said:

Not impressed with Belgium's performance. Carrasco at left back is gonna cost us goals. 

I thought you looked good go forward but massively suspect at the back. Carrasco was poor, and generally the relationship between the 5 at the back and holding midfielder was almost non existent at times. I saw the WB, RCB, CB and DM all waiting for someone else to close down the man just outside the 18 yard box, when they had an overload Witsel just sat where he was marking nobody when he needed to help his teammates. 

You will potentially score plenty of goals but a good counter attacking team will rip you to shreds and an intelligent possession team will pull that back 5 all over the place and find holes. 

The England game will be a good test for both of our formations. Can ours withstand the attacking pressure and quality and can yours stop us from hitting you on the counter. 

* I only watched the first 60-65 mins of the Belgium game on my phone at work... when I should have been doing work so I may have missed a lot!

Those Russian planes are f...ed up.

I remember I was flying from Luhansk (the city was a part of Ukraine back then) to Kiev. It was an old Russian plane from the time of WW2, modernized but you know... I remember the screws next to my seat were moving and screaking.

I don't trust Russian planes.

14 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

Those Russian planes are f...ed up.

I remember I was flying from Luhansk (the city was a part of Ukraine back then) to Kiev. It was an old Russian plane from the time of WW2, modernized but you know... I remember the screws next to my seat were moving and screaking.

I don't trust Russian planes.

Just reading that is making me feel ill. I do not enjoy flying.

31 minutes ago, aaron said:

1-1 now after a great free kick.

It was smart to go under the defenders.  Colombia playing inspired after its defender’s foolish handball so early.  He deserved the red.

However, the “foul” against Japan that led to the free kick/goal was such a poor call, a sort of make-up call by the ref.  Japan right to be upset by that call.

45 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

It was smart to go under the defenders.  Colombia playing inspired after its defender’s foolish handball so early.  He deserved the red.

However, the “foul” against Japan that led to the free kick/goal was such a poor call, a sort of make-up call by the ref.  Japan right to be upset by that call.

Japan 2 - 1 winners

Again, another team expected to advance from group and likely into quarter-finals drops 2-3 points in the opener.

Of the 16 that made it in for Pot 1 & 2  - after 9 (Chile), 14 (Wales) and 15 (Italy) didn't qualify. 

6 Wins, 6 draws. FOUR lost the opener. Only 3 Pot 1 teams got a win, and that includes Russia who was 65th ranked.

Russia, Iran, Serbia, atop their groups,  with Sweden and Japan tied at top on GD - what the hell??

2 hours ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Probably be scored a deflected own goal, but a good strike from Gana.

Was going wide own goal still a good strike for him there usually high and wide if you can keep it down you’ve always got a chance of a deflection. 

Been a great World Cup so far, the under dogs doing well, the big boys struggling. This week I suspect the games to be even better with the likes of Argentina, Germany and Brazil all needing wins. I thought VAR was working well until the England game.