IGNORED

First Annual TT Personality Awards

On 01/01/2018 at 01:33, Cornish Steve said:

Happy New Year everyone.

And to Rubes, blwyddyn newydd dda.

and to you my friend   (nice to see an American speaking one of our native tongues)  :)          Oeddech chi'n defnyddio google yn cyfieithu am hynny yn y ffordd?

I can remember some years ago when I was still playing football one particular team I played for played there home games on one of the council parks, they also had around four hockey pitches there, I can still remember thinking these lads are a bunch of weirdos playing a girl's game wtf is going on play a man's game, I think that was instilled in me from my school days were boys played football , Rugby and occasionally Cricket which I was never to happy about and girls played Hockey and Rounders, so in my mind Hockey is for people who wear short skirts and navy blue knickers, then the Americans or Canadians decided to play it on ice but it still looked a girl's game so they thought let's add some pads and a lid to make it look macho, I'm probably way of the mark but never played it or worn navy blue knickers so what do I know:D

8 hours ago, Palfy said:

I think that was instilled in me from my school days were boys played football , Rugby and occasionally Cricket which I was never to happy about and girls played Hockey and Rounders, so in my mind Hockey is for people who wear short skirts and navy blue knickers

I thought the same until it turned out my (male) form master/English teacher in the second year at "big" school was an England/GB international. Hockey had never been an option before (all boys school) but there were pitches on the neighbouring girls school so we persuaded him to let us have a go. Dangerous! That ball is fucking hard and goes mighty fast. I gave it a swerve after a while and stuck to rugby, footie & cricket; much safer.

Though I think that now it's mostly played on astroturf so you don't get random bounces it's probably a bit more forgiving. My wife was apparently banished to goalkeeper at her school because she was too aggressive anywhere else:lol:. I'm not at all surprised:unsure:.

I played a bit of hockey in the Army.  I hated hockey but it meant you got time off duty and hockey was marginally better than duty.  I was once stood a couple of yards from a guy who whacked the (very hard) ball straight at me.  I jumped in the air and the ball hit me square on the instep of my right foot.  My foot was numb for about three days but if I hadn't jumped,  the place it would have hit me would have been a lot more painful and eye-watering!

5 minutes ago, johnh said:

I played a bit of hockey in the Army.  I hated hockey but it meant you got time off duty and hockey was marginally better than duty.  I was once stood a couple of yards from a guy who whacked the (very hard) ball straight at me.  I jumped in the air and the ball hit me square on the instep of my right foot.  My foot was numb for about three days but if I hadn't jumped,  the place it would have hit me would have been a lot more painful and eye-watering!

Ouch! I was playing cricket one games period at school and we weren't allowed to use the main square because that was reserved for inter school/house matches so the "pitch" could best be described as sub standard. I was bowling and the batsman hit the ball straight back at me like a rocket but all along the ground; I went down in classic position to gather it but it hit a bump or a tuft about a yard in front of me, bounced up and hit me squarely on the nose. Much blood and a trip to the medical room ensued but luckily not broken. Distinctly remember that the teacher in charge sent me off on my own and the game continued as if nothing had happened, nobody seemed remotely worried. Different times.