MikeO

Rep Voting  

16 members have voted

1. 1. ???

• Keep it like it is
    • Disable downvoting
    • Disable completely

This poll is closed to new votes

I think it should never have been put there at all, i'm sure not many come on here just get  "votes",  but i know a few who give greens to their "Friends" on a regular basis. 

It means fook all to me if its there or not but if it does offend any posters into posting less or not posting at all,  then maybe it shouldnt be there. 

PS .... i  havent voted  because my option (Disable both) is not there to be voted for.

Actually another point, when I got ill a few years back and put it on here it was a real boost to get loads of green; at the same time if I drop in a dreadful pun I'm quite chuffed with a few reds. In an ideal World you'd express your opinion by writing a full reply like MJB suggested above but sometimes you just can't be bothered or don't have the time; also if you write a piece agreeing with someone fully you run the risk of being called an "arse licker" so the green just says "what he said". Red's never bother me (apart from that lot across the park of course) even when they're serious, just means someone doesn't agree with me; water off a duck's back or you argue back, no need to sulk. 

I don’t know how many red or greens I’ve got never really contemplated it plus I wouldn’t no were to look to find out. 

Really don’t understand why you need it if someone agrees or doesn’t agree with you then post, but if it helps people who like approval or even dislike approval then great as you said Mike water off a ducks back. 

10 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

Again, I'll put another point forward. As much as many of you say what you see and read doesn't bother you. That doesn't mean that it doesn't bother someone else.

You don't know another person's frame of mind when they come here. You might have a bad day at work, come to your favourite website and find you've got bad rep. Doesn't help anyone. It's just a function that has no positives and the potential for serious negatives.

Ultimately my point being is that visiting this website should be a positive experience for all. Disagreeing with someone, even strongly should be permitted. Anyone who is abusive should be moderated appropriate. But there should be no facility to give a negative experience to users. I just think reputation voting has no value on a forum. If it went the way of the dodo then nobody would miss it.

Very well put I thought I didn’t care one way or another and for myself I don’t but you have convinced me it’s not needed and in some hands could be a form of abuse against some who may struggle with that sort of rejection. 

So I have now decided to reject it on the grounds it may help someone else psychologically but shouldn’t harm anyone if it’s closed, except maybe one or two trophy hunters. 

10 minutes ago, TallPaul1878 said:

But right now things aren't great for me. I'm struggling for work and am exhausted caring for my wife who is in bad health, we are only in our mid 30s and have 2 young children to look after as well.

Been there Paul and the wife in bad health I do sympathise/empathise with (even if you don't want it) as I've lived with that for 17/18 years, life can be shit at times. Really hope things improve for you and yours.

16 hours ago, MikeO said:

Actually another point, when I got ill a few years back and put it on here it was a real boost to get loads of green; at the same time if I drop in a dreadful pun I'm quite chuffed with a few reds. In an ideal World you'd express your opinion by writing a full reply like MJB suggested above but sometimes you just can't be bothered or don't have the time; also if you write a piece agreeing with someone fully you run the risk of being called an "arse licker" so the green just says "what he said". Red's never bother me (apart from that lot across the park of course) even when they're serious, just means someone doesn't agree with me; water off a duck's back or you argue back, no need to sulk. 

I thought this the other day. You used to see a lot of posts on the forum with +1 or "agreed" etc and whilst that still happens (I am probably the biggest culprit) it helps declutter the forum a little.

In respect of reds, its a forum about football and opinions. If you cant handle someone disagreeing with you, find something else to do. Most of the time on here, if you express your opinion with some degree of input you very rarely get reds. If you just make outlandish/antagonising comments you are more likely to. If you can pluck up the courage to do that on a forum I am sure that person can take a bit back as well.

Hope things get better for you, Paul. I know where you're coming from, the last few years have been rough on my side too, and seeing a red has gotten to me more than it probably should've. If you need someone to unload on, drop me a PM, I'll happily be an ear.

All I'll say is, it can be disappointing to have a post negged. But it's also nice to get a green too, which is much more common and I don't think you can have one without the other. Some times it's an easy way of disagreeing with a post when you've not got the time / energy to debate a point (see the Gana debacle as an example), but it's not meant as a personal thing in my experience. 

7 hours ago, Matt said:

Hope things get better for you, Paul. I know where you're coming from, the last few years have been rough on my side too, and seeing a red has gotten to me more than it probably should've. If you need someone to unload on, drop me a PM, I'll happily be an ear.

All I'll say is, it can be disappointing to have a post negged. But it's also nice to get a green too, which is much more common and I don't think you can have one without the other. Some times it's an easy way of disagreeing with a post when you've not got the time / energy to debate a point (see the Gana debacle as an example), but it's not meant as a personal thing in my experience. 

Now I know why I’ve got so many reds, Gana’s got a lot to answer to😀

This is a tough one, normally I would say keep both as its a way of agreeing or disagreeing with someone without having to write a post, and gives a snapshot of opinion on issues.

I'm sorry your having a tough time Paul, and I really hope things work out for you and your family, your in my prayers. What you have said makes me think that down marking a post, as innocent as it may be can have an effect on people that was never intended. As you say this is a fun site, if down voting is causing problems for people and spoiling there enjoyment of this site then there should be a change.

I would therefore like to change my vote to disable down voting please.

I voted to keep it, only my personal preference. 

I’ve been posting here for a long time, but as mentioned already this does declutter the forum. I used to move posts like “this” or “agree” to the rubbish post thread to keep it tidy. One word replies don’t really do much for anyone. 

I don’t think I’ve ever made a post and gone back to look at how many greens or reds it’s received. 

Its also worth nothing, for anyone who doesn’t know how to see their points, it’s next to your name when you post. For the record I think only John Burns has had a red reputation. 

As an advocate of good mental health I understand the concerns for other people’s wellbeing, it’s great that we have so many members who care about each other. We can look after each other and disagree at the same time.