Jump to content

World Cup Qatar 2022


 Share

Recommended Posts

England in a six team group with Poland/Hungary/Albania/Andorra/San Marino

Scotland/Denmark/Austria/Israel/Faroe Islands/Moldova

N Ireland/Italy/Switzerland/Bulgaria/Lithuania

Wales/Belgium/Czech Republic/Belarus/Estonia

Republic of Ireland/Portugal/Serbia/Luxembourg/Azerbaijan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pleased with that, should be an easy passage for us into Qatar with games to spare, everyone's having a right moan about Andorra and San Marino but I think it's great. 

Pleased about Portugal's group too, should qualify for that easily, even with Ireland as higher seeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Pleased about Portugal's group too, should qualify for that easily, even with Ireland as higher seeds.

Portugal were the number one seeds, I put all the home nations and ROI first before the draw started hence not in the right order.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 9 months later...

Figured this is as good a place as any to put this. Article from ESPN that delivers some points as to why a biennial World Cup would actually be beneficial to the world game. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts after reading this.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4480977/fifas-biennial-world-cup-proposal-may-be-flawedbut-it-would-address-inequality-among-soccer-nations

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Figured this is as good a place as any to put this. Article from ESPN that delivers some points as to why a biennial World Cup would actually be beneficial to the world game. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts after reading this.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-marcottis-musings/story/4480977/fifas-biennial-world-cup-proposal-may-be-flawedbut-it-would-address-inequality-among-soccer-nations

I'm on holiday, no time to read anything with more than three sentences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
  • MikeO changed the title to World Cup Qatar 2022

Drawn in group B so will play on the opening day of the finals, could be useful recovery time wise if we go deep.

We get USA from the second seeded pot, which, with apologies to our American members, couldn't have been much kinder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Cornish Steve said:

Right now, it's looking like a breeze for the Netherlands.

Anyone who got drawn with Qatar got the golden ticket, Senegal won't be easy though I don't think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Drawn in group B so will play on the opening day of the finals, could be useful recovery time wise if we go deep.

We get USA from the second seeded pot, which, with apologies to our American members, couldn't have been much kinder.

Just what you thought back in 2010 when we topped the group 😎

Obviously Qatar would've been my first pick, but England was my second. Why wouldn't I want us to go up against the side that always bottles it? 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just what you thought back in 2010 when we topped the group 😎

Obviously Qatar would've been my first pick, but England was my second. Why wouldn't I want us to go up against the side that always bottles it? 😂

We're a very different side from what we were in 2010, another level. I agree that we've bottled it in the last two tournaments we've played in by sitting back when we've taken the lead, but those were semi final and final games (that I really hope Southgate has learnt from); how have the USA done against that?:otvwhistle:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just what you thought back in 2010 when we topped the group 😎

Obviously Qatar would've been my first pick, but England was my second. Why wouldn't I want us to go up against the side that always bottles it? 😂

If Wales get in the group you boys aren’t progressing, you need to hope it’s Scotland or Ukraine to have any chance😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just saying....

Strong similarities between the groups this year and in 2010. Have already been seeing English pundits basically echoing this sentiment, that England got off easy this year.

Iran won't be a pushover either. Love all you Brits, but there is an arrogance when it comes to the national team, particularly when they're up against supposedly "weaker" teams, i.e. Iceland in 2016.

It's the World Cup, anything can happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just saying....

Strong similarities between the groups this year and in 2010. Have already been seeing English pundits basically echoing this sentiment, that England got off easy this year.

Iran won't be a pushover either. Love all you Brits, but there is an arrogance when it comes to the national team, particularly when they're up against supposedly "weaker" teams, i.e. Iceland in 2016.

It's the World Cup, anything can happen.

Point taken but picture removed, content from that comic isn't allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USA will be a tricky game, the Americans will see it as a derby and be fired up, plus they're not the "soccerball, let's go team" cringe that they used to be, they're actually a really decent outfit. Given that we will be going to the World Cup the the hope to win it, I'd expect us to beat the US but would honestly stress that it won't be a walk in the park - my bet at this early stage would perhaps be a 1-0/2-1.

Iran are very, very good defensively but I don't think any top team would (or should fear them). Without sounding arrogant, they will have no realistic ambitions of getting into the deep stages of the tournament and should prove little to no threat to England - given how good they are at the back I'll stick my neck out and say 2-0.

Wales and Scotland will be big games just because of the inferiority complex that those two countries have to England, but Ukraine (should they make it) would be the easiest nation to face. Given how we seemed to give Scotland so much respect in the Euros (and Wales in the same tournament a few years earlier) I'd expect a draw.

In a nutshell I'm made up with our group and expect us to finish 1st. That said, I don't for one second think we'll be winning 8-0 and taking the piss out of anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Just saying....

Strong similarities between the groups this year and in 2010. Have already been seeing English pundits basically echoing this sentiment, that England got off easy this year.

Iran won't be a pushover either. Love all you Brits, but there is an arrogance when it comes to the national team, particularly when they're up against supposedly "weaker" teams, i.e. Iceland in 2016.

It's the World Cup, anything can happen.

I think we saw to an extent at the Euros that these perceived "inferior" teams are a lot more organised and tactically astute than they have been for a long time. Just ask the Italians!

I still think England have a lot of questions to answer at the back but they should be able to go toe for toe in attack against any side in the world. Southgate is our manager so we wont. We will try and keep it tight and hope to score one of our chances. 

At the Euros, I don't think England really played that well in any of the games but they did enough (I didn't see the Ukraine game). The games against Denmark, a well below-par Germany, the Czechs, Scotland and Croatia could have easily gone against us. I suspect that will be the same at the World Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
On 01/04/2022 at 18:18, Cornish Steve said:

Whoohoo! Wales may get the opportunity to knock England out! :)

They have it, well done the leek eaters.

Last time they made the finals I wasn't even born.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Palfy said:

Are you sure 😉

My big brother wasn't born either so I'm fairly certain;)

So wanted them to qualify when Nev, Rats and Dai van den Hauwe were playing for them but they always fell just short; they were second best for most of the game today and got a very lucky goal, but it's deserved historically.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MikeO said:

My big brother wasn't born either so I'm fairly certain;)

So wanted them to qualify when Nev, Rats and Dai van den Hauwe were playing for them but they always fell just short; they were second best for most of the game today and got a very lucky goal, but it's deserved historically.

You may find this unbelievable but neither was I. Historically on paper from the 80s through to early teens of the  2000s on paper Wales have had some great squads. As you I would have dearly loved to have seen big Nev play in the World Cup, and what a sight it would have been to see Van den hauwe sorting the Argentinians out they would have met their match against him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I'm thrilled to see Wales get the final spot in our group, since Ukraine looked a far better and more dangerous team.

Gutted for Ukraine, but once again Zinchenko was outstanding. Get him in, please.

England lack the passion of a Wales. I'm looking forward to Wales upsetting an over-confident England team. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

England lack the passion of a Wales. I'm looking forward to Wales upsetting an over-confident England team. :)

I don’t think it will happen.  Not that it couldn’t.   If Southgate grows an arse or if we get a better manager in, we could blow you away and many other teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hafnia said:

I don’t think it will happen.  Not that it couldn’t.   If Southgate grows an arse or if we get a better manager in, we could blow you away and many other teams. 

I promise not to be too anti-England and pro-Wales, but I wanted to counter-balance the pro-England Wales-is-weak narrative. :) England has a good team, if only they could instill some fire in their bellies. Wales (and Scotland) have less talent but a lot more fire. I wonder whether it's time we had a combined British team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I promise not to be too anti-England and pro-Wales, but I wanted to counter-balance the pro-England Wales-is-weak narrative. :) England has a good team, if only they could instill some fire in their bellies. Wales (and Scotland) have less talent but a lot more fire. I wonder whether it's time we had a combined British team.

I think we do have fire in the bellies, just a very negative manager. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I promise not to be too anti-England and pro-Wales, but I wanted to counter-balance the pro-England Wales-is-weak narrative. :) England has a good team, if only they could instill some fire in their bellies. Wales (and Scotland) have less talent but a lot more fire. I wonder whether it's time we had a combined British team.

Fuck that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Fuck that.

When you're not English, it's very interesting to see how the press report. When Andy Murray wins, he's British; when he loses, he's Scottish. When Emma Raducanu wins, she's English; when she loses, she's British. Have you ever noticed that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

When you're not English, it's very interesting to see how the press report. When Andy Murray wins, he's British; when he loses, he's Scottish. When Emma Raducanu wins, she's English; when she loses, she's British. Have you ever noticed that?

I've not seen it once with Raducanu, so you'll have to show me that one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

When you're not English, it's very interesting to see how the press report. When Andy Murray wins, he's British; when he loses, he's Scottish. When Emma Raducanu wins, she's English; when she loses, she's British. Have you ever noticed that?

Doesn't bear scrutiny, three days ago.

Surbiton Trophy: Britain's Andy Murray loses semi-final to American Denis Kudla

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/61690596

Last September.

Emma Raducanu, the 18-year-old who began her campaign in qualifying as the world number 150, is the US Open champion having stormed through the tournament without dropping a set.

The teenager is the first British woman to win a Grand Slam singles title since Virginia Wade's Wimbledon triumph in 1977, some 44 years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/tennis/54517115#:~:text=Emma Raducanu%2C the 18-year,1977%2C some 44 years ago.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

I've not seen it once with Raducanu, so you'll have to show me that one.

Because it'd be factually incorrect; her father is Romanian and her mother is Chinese and she was born in Canada. She's a British citizen having moved here with her parents when she was two, but she's not English.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/06/2022 at 13:41, Hafnia said:

I don’t think it will happen.  Not that it couldn’t.   If Southgate grows an arse or if we get a better manager in, we could blow you away and many other teams. 

Who would you have as an England manager? I can't come up with a name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Well, it's just like the press to prove me wrong when I mention the trend. I shall have to stay eagle-eyed on future reports to justify my observation!

How will you ever manage to see past that chip on your shoulder though?

:P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

Do you think he would take it as this stage of his career?

I agree with you though, I would love to see it.

I think so yeah. I think we would win the World Cup with him. Can’t stand Southgate, his reaction to grealish performance was appalling. It’s as though he doesnt want him to do well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/06/2022 at 22:53, Hafnia said:

I think so yeah. I think we would win the World Cup with him. Can’t stand Southgate, his reaction to grealish performance was appalling. It’s as though he doesnt want him to do well. 

I certainly think we would have a much better chance. 

I am no fan of Southgate either. I feel like his approach is more about getting us to a certain stage of the competition rather than going and winning it. It has worked, and we almost won something but I would love to see this group of players really have a go at teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How come the Peru/Oz play-off in Qatar has a massive Peruvian crowd presence? Don't get it, is something making Peruvians super rich, or are they part of the slave labour who've built the stadiums?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...