IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

5 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

One of the teams eliminated after two games should insist on their captain wearing an armband for the third. When he gets a yellow card, he should hand the captaincy and armband to a teammate. If they get a yellow card, the process should continue until the entire team is given yellow cards. They'd become heroes in the world of sports.

Love this

58 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

One of the teams eliminated after two games should insist on their captain wearing an armband for the third. When he gets a yellow card, he should hand the captaincy and armband to a teammate. If they get a yellow card, the process should continue until the entire team is given yellow cards. They'd become heroes in the world of sports.

Maybe it could be Germany!

Not meaning to keep harping on about the hypocrisy of FIFA and allowing Qatar to host the World Cup, but I think it's important to understand just how restrictive the country is. From the article below, we can deduce that:

• Fans would be fined for bringing a packet of pork scratchings into Qatar
  • Men or women could be fined or imprisoned for wearing shorts or otherwise revealing their knees
  • A pregnant woman who has a miscarriage while attending the World Cup would receive no medical treatment without first providing the authorities with a certificate to prove she's married
  • An unmarried man sharing a hotel room with his long-time female partner could face up to seven years in jail. If his partner is male, it could be a death sentence.
  • Fans of England shouting abuse at fans of Wales on the way to the stadium, for example, could face imprisonment
  • As we've seen already, anyone wearing shoe laces that could be construed as being rainbow-colored will be forced to remove them

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/19/1137783957/world-cup-qatar-fan-restrictions-alcohol

On 22/11/2022 at 09:26, MikeO said:

I agree with Steve; it maybe wasn't a "normal" clear goal scoring opportunity but for me, watching live, it still was one. 50/50 Bale scores from there.

I get your point but still think that rule is generally applied to "last man" tackles and not situations like this? I've just never seen that rule applied to anything but like deliberate hand ball and last man tackles.

8 minutes ago, Quinn31 said:

I get your point but still think that rule is generally applied to "last man" tackles and not situations like this? I've just never seen that rule applied to anything but like deliberate hand ball and last man tackles.

I don't know the letter of the law, but for me; how often is Gareth Bale going to put the ball into an effectively empty net from the half way line? Quite a lot. If the rules don't cover stuff like that they need changing.

bale.png

42 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I don't know the letter of the law, but for me; how often is Gareth Bale going to put the ball into an effectively empty net from the half way line? Quite a lot. If the rules don't cover stuff like that they need changing.

bale.png

I just think we're going to have to disagree on this one.

7 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the stoppage time changes being made? I've seen lots of arguments for and against it. 

Personally I hate it

As I said before, I'd like the clock to be stopped when the ball's dead; works perfectly well in other sports and then everybody knows when the game's over.

7 hours ago, MikeO said:

bale.png

What happens if it was a different player that had the ball at their feet? Would you be as confident of the goal being scored?

5 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Goosebumps watching it. A thing of beauty

You see…. My dislike of Lukaku is for the opposite reasons I love Richarlison.   He wears the shirt with pride, runs himself into the ground for the team. 

he knew he was leaving Everton and played with an injury and left it all out on the pitch. Lukaku was only arsed if he thought something was in it for him and not the team.   Richarlison will forever have our gratitude. 

1 hour ago, Formby said:

Sets up the Iran US game beautifully. Winner takes all, surely? I can't see Wales getting anything from the England game. 

They'll up their game against us (so I wouldn't be surprised if they get a result), as they always do, but they only have a couple of players with genuine quality with the rest being cannon fodder.

Passion and singing hymn's will only take you so far. 

1 hour ago, Romey 1878 said:

They'll up their game against us (so I wouldn't be surprised if they get a result), as they always do, but they only have a couple of players with genuine quality with the rest being cannon fodder.

Passion and singing hymn's will only take you so far. 

The Welsh team of four years ago was considerably stronger than the current team - which includes too many aging players. It's such a shame they were pipped at the post of qualification in the last World Cup.

It's time for magnanimity on my part: Here's wishing England the best in the rest of the tournament. From the first round, they've proved to be among the strongest four, along with Brazil, France, and Spain.