IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

14 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Crazy night of football. I just hope Japan can hold on to go through. 

Japan and Costa Rica going through would have been unbelievable. Just Japan though is fantastic in itself, really happy for them. 

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I thought that the ball was out and FIFA so far haven't shown any close up replays, all those shown for far seem to show that the ball left the field of play. Payback for Germany's protest in the opening game? It's fantastic for Japan, but it's majorly fishy.

3 minutes ago, Romey 1878 said:

Apparently some of the overhang of the ball is over the line, so therefore it’s still in play. 

Poor/fishy from FIFA that they haven't shared the conclusive images with the world but yes, the angle from above which ITV have shown suggests there's a millimetre or two still on the line.

One thing I think this world cup has shown is that the rest of the world is finally catching up to the "big footballing nations." That's not to say that I think we're gonna see the semi-finals filled with the likes of Australia, Senegal, US and Morocco, but it's clear that more and more nations have been putting time and resources into developing talent. 

Obviously you can also factor in some of the big nations having off tournaments, but I think this is here to stay. Especially with the 2026 field expanding to 48

15 hours ago, MikeO said:

Agree, karma in any event👍

image.thumb.jpeg.3824a1a8d896b73810f657638edc2c90.jpeg

A mm overhang? That's a mile out and the goal shouldn't have stood. If more than half the ball breaks the line, fine, but the back end? Irrespective of people wanting Japan to win, stupid rule. On the goal-line, this wouldn't be counted as a goal, either. Even dumber. 

1 hour ago, Formby said:

A mm overhang? That's a mile out and the goal shouldn't have stood. If more than half the ball breaks the line, fine, but the back end? Irrespective of people wanting Japan to win, stupid rule. On the goal-line, this wouldn't be counted as a goal, either. Even dumber. 

Unfortunately I can't post the photo because of size limitations, but there's a reverse angle shot where the ball is just barely on the line. We're talking millimeters. So yes from the angle of the photo you're looking at, it's out. But another angle shows it's just barely in. 

2 hours ago, Formby said:

A mm overhang? That's a mile out and the goal shouldn't have stood.

If there's a mm overhang then, according to the rules, it's not out; was the correct decision.

It's long been a bugbear of mine that that particular rule is often not adhered to, but now with the tech available it's black and white; no grey area, in or out....and this one was in.

4 hours ago, MikeO said:

If there's a mm overhang then, according to the rules, it's not out; was the correct decision.

It's long been a bugbear of mine that that particular rule is often not adhered to, but now with the tech available it's black and white; no grey area, in or out....and this one was in.

I get what you're saying; I just think it's a crazy rule. If that much of the ball is out of play, to me it's out of play. If more of the ball is on the line (in play), then fair enough. Similarly, if more of the ball has crossed the goal-line, it's a goal. 

29 minutes ago, Formby said:

I get what you're saying; I just think it's a crazy rule. If that much of the ball is out of play, to me it's out of play. If more of the ball is on the line (in play), then fair enough. Similarly, if more of the ball has crossed the goal-line, it's a goal. 

But it's the rule, same as tennis; any part of the ball hits any part of the line it's in.

1 hour ago, MikeO said:

But it's the rule, same as tennis; any part of the ball hits any part of the line it's in.

But that's not the case here, is it? The football is not hitting the line. There is a mm overhang over the back end of the line. If you were to say the ball must be touching the line, then I would think that was fair.

7 minutes ago, Formby said:

But that's not the case here, is it? The football is not hitting the line. There is a mm overhang over the back end of the line. If you were to say the ball must be touching the line, then I would think that was fair.

The ball is hitting the line, or at least a vertical projection of it; do you want different rules depending of the height of the ball? That would be crazy.

32 minutes ago, MikeO said:

The ball is hitting the line, or at least a vertical projection of it; do you want different rules depending of the height of the ball? That would be crazy.

In tennis, the ball physically hits the line. That doesn't happen in football. A vertical projection is not the same thing. I explained what I thought would be fairer above.  

23 hours ago, dunlopp9987 said:

One thing I think this world cup has shown is that the rest of the world is finally catching up to the "big footballing nations." That's not to say that I think we're gonna see the semi-finals filled with the likes of Australia, Senegal, US and Morocco, but it's clear that more and more nations have been putting time and resources into developing talent. 

Obviously you can also factor in some of the big nations having off tournaments, but I think this is here to stay. Especially with the 2026 field expanding to 48

I don't remember seeing anything like these last round of games ever before. I know most of the biggest upsets have come from teams that expected to be through / were through, but it just shows you that these smaller footballing nations are all now that much better in coaching and ability wise that unless the big teams are at it, they can be beaten. 

I think there is a better chance than the odds suggest that we could see two of USA, Australia, Senegal and Morocco into the quarter finals.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Feeling cautiously optimistic heading into the US's game today. Netherlands did not look all that impressive in attack, and the US was the only team not to concede a goal from open play during the group stage. 

Think we could see 0-0 or 1-1 and going to pens, where anything can happen 🤞🏻

It's  game I'm looking forward to watching.