IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

On 02/12/2022 at 20:59, Formby said:

I get what you're saying; I just think it's a crazy rule. If that much of the ball is out of play, to me it's out of play. If more of the ball is on the line (in play), then fair enough. Similarly, if more of the ball has crossed the goal-line, it's a goal. 

The rule has always been the whole of the ball has to be past the line to be out of play. Your reasoning of in or out would be far less certain and cause more confusion and controversy. 

Proud effort from us against Argentina there.

Hopefully now there’s a bit of a restructuring to our national league and grass roots to build for the future.

Been a great cup so far for the matches it’s produced. Right behind England now and I feel this could be very winnable given how the “big” teams have struggled somewhat. 

49 minutes ago, Palfy said:

The rule has always been the whole of the ball has to be past the line to be out of play. Your reasoning of in or out would be far less certain and cause more confusion and controversy. 

If the technology is accurate enough to work out a mm overhang in the Japan - Spain game, it would be accurate enough to work out whether there is still connection with the ball and the line (as happens in tennis). The vertical plane argument seems absolutely ridiculous to me, as shown by the still photos of the Japan decision. Whether it's the rules or not, there is something deeply unsatisfactory about it. Most on here disagree and that's fine. At least with the ball touching the line scenario, there is a tangible connection to the field of play. 

5 minutes ago, Formby said:

If the technology is accurate enough to work out a mm overhang in the Japan - Spain game, it would be accurate enough to work out whether there is still connection with the ball and the line (as happens in tennis). The vertical plane argument seems absolutely ridiculous to me, as shown by the still photos of the Japan decision. Whether it's the rules or not, there is something deeply unsatisfactory about it. Most on here disagree and that's fine. At least with the ball touching the line scenario, there is a tangible connection to the field of play. 

So by your logic (if I understand it); if the ball is on the surface of the pitch and a mm over the line then it's still in play, but if it's a mm in the air in the same position relative to the line it should be out.

That'll simplify things a lot:unsure:

The two games today just showed how much that little bit of quality in the final third matters. Both USA and Australia were more than game opponents for their superior opposition, but they both just couldn't make the most of their opportunities / chances.

The second half performance from Messi though was up there with his best performances in the World Cup (that I have seen). He just lacked that second goal to cap the game off. 

40 minutes ago, MikeO said:

So by your logic (if I understand it); if the ball is on the surface of the pitch and a mm over the line then it's still in play, but if it's a mm in the air in the same position relative to the line it should be out.

That'll simplify things a lot:unsure:

Why did you have to bring up tennis before? 😭

I don't think I mentioned the difference between being in the air or on the ground, did I?

Anyway, to recap my opinion:

I thought the decision in the Japan game was ridiculous (1mm overhang).

If the ball on the ground had been touching the line by a mm, in line with your comment on tennis, then fair enough.

I'm open to suggestions on what would make it fairer.

I do know what the current rule is, however, in case anyone is inclined to remind me about it again!

4 hours ago, Bailey said:

The two games today just showed how much that little bit of quality in the final third matters. Both USA and Australia were more than game opponents for their superior opposition, but they both just couldn't make the most of their opportunities / chances.

The second half performance from Messi though was up there with his best performances in the World Cup (that I have seen). He just lacked that second goal to cap the game off. 

I don’t really want to see Argentina win the World Cup, and I don’t think they will, but I’d be happy for Messi if he did. Just seems right for him to have one. 

11 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

Well done for making the playoff round, but the US has a LONG way to go before it reaches elite status.

Thanks. Getting out of the group was the bare minimum though. The other two teams in the group were mediocre opponents at best. Figured England would finish first, and they did. 

7 hours ago, Sibdane said:

Thanks. Getting out of the group was the bare minimum though. The other two teams in the group were mediocre opponents at best. Figured England would finish first, and they did. 

2026 we will be much improved, and have home field advantage. The core of the team will be in the 26-29 age range and hopefully we have a new coach who understands tactics better. I think Gregg has done a great job with recruiting and creating a positive atmosphere within the team, but that won't cut it moving forward.

1 hour ago, dunlopp9987 said:

2026 we will be much improved, and have home field advantage. The core of the team will be in the 26-29 age range and hopefully we have a new coach who understands tactics better. I think Gregg has done a great job with recruiting and creating a positive atmosphere within the team, but that won't cut it moving forward.

Yeah, it’s time to move on. He’s not the coach to elevate these players. I wasn’t a fan of his appointment, but we got to the World Cup and made it out of the group so can’t be too harsh on him. 

41 minutes ago, RPG said:

Not quite. Hawkeye rules could be written better, but the same philosophy is used. This gives a practical example of Hawkeye declaring a ball to be 'in.' Clearly, the tennis ball overhangs the line but there is no way that it could actually have touched the line.

main-qimg-6bace8e70278e0a70d4de724cda38d

38 minutes ago, RPG said:

This is the FIFA image from Japan v Germany.

0_Screenshot-2022-12-02-at-160027.jpg

How much simpler can it be made if all of the ball doesn't cross the line it's still in play. As Sergei would say 'simples' 

3 hours ago, RPG said:

For the ball to be 'out' the whole of the ball has to be over the whole of the line. In this case, it wasn't. What would you do for a ball that never touched the ground but was hit on the volley from a position that required VAR interpretaion of in/out?

Et tu, RPG? 

I would applaud the forward who was to retrieve a ball sailing over the goal-line on the volley, especially if it lead to a goal.