IGNORED

World Cup Qatar 2022

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, MikeO said:

Some will no doubt dismiss this as virtue signalling, but in my opinion, kudos to Denmark and Hummel.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/6306639

The world is full of new funky ideas of letting people know you are offended whilst essentially allowing the perpetrators carry on as they are. Actually very smart marketing by hummel, if Gareth Southgate was a logo he would be a double chevron.   buy it here…
https://www.unisportstore.com/football-shirts/denmark-home-shirt-world-cup-2022/259148/?dfw=4068&feed=10916&utm_source=Tradetracker&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=RedBrain#/

I missed the bit when looking at the £80 cost where they declare they will be giving a large cut of the profits to the families of deceased workers.  Hmmmm, that’s odd.  It’s also odd that china produce 30% of Hummel stuff…. Not sure they have their human rights radar fully engaged. 

I'm sure Qatar are gonna be licking their wounds, fans are gonna be stuck in overpriced limited hotels, drinking water and watching the most outrageously awarded World Cup in history.  

the next time fifa are considering a multi million pound bundle of brown envelopes I’m not sure they are gonna be thinking twice cos a team make a monotone shirt.  I’m waiting for Brazil to announce Bananas are banned from the team hotel in respect of Richarlison… 

22 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

It is a bit late for the loud voices with seven weeks to go. 

Hilarious isn’t it.  Hummel giving it the big one, the kit they played in vs England in the Euros was practically the same! Very much one colour with logos and crest barely visible. Complete and utter bullshit. 

I’m all for human rights, I’m also against having my intelligence insulted by opportunistic virtue signallers who fail to look at themselves enough whilst judging others. Got an issue with the World Cup? Pull out or stfu, stop trying to play the good guy when you are lining your pockets from the event. That goes for mr Southgate and Kane too. 

Faking integrity for personal gain is one of the toughest things to do cos you have to be prepared to do something that costs you.  Muhammad Ali was a hero for good reason. Pity he isn’t still with us cos he would be calling out half the bullshit we see. 

I’ll watch the World Cup, just like I’ll watch Everton despite being sponsored by stake, I’m just not gonna try and pretend I’m overly disgusted just to make people think “Ah yeah he’s nice”. I like footy, it’s a release and I’m annoyed that those in control of it have no morals cos I would like to feel good about how it’s provided and not feel compromised. 

• 1 month later...

How insulting is this? "Just show up and play football; no politics."

Sure. Let's ignore the thousands of migrant workers killed or the denial of many human rights to gays or the unfair treatment of women. Let's just sweep it under the carpet and all enjoy ourselves.

All credit to the Danish team for being so vocal in their support of basic human freedoms.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63506951

I wasn't going to mention this because I didn't want to come across as someone who was looking to be superior by taking the moral high ground, but this statement from FIFA has enraged me to speak out and not stay quiet for fear of my own personal image. I had decided a long time ago that I wasn't going to watch any of the World Cup, for me personally I felt it wouldn't be supporting football, football has been sold to highest bidder no matter what or who they are, for me to support this competition would be to support Qatar and it's disgusting regime, and to condone FIFA for it's decision to give them the event. I hope there are millions like me around the world who use their power to switch off as a message that we do see and we do care. Many people do care about injustices to humanity, but feel unable to do anything that will send a message that can be seen, for me the only good that can come out of this unsavoury situation is that, all people who disagree with what is happening have been given a voice to protest by not watching the tournament, that will be seen and quantified and questioned if this tournament becomes a failure due to the power of the supporter. Personally I hope it's the biggest flop in the history of sporting events ever and not a success.  

6 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

How insulting is this? "Just show up and play football; no politics."

Sure. Let's ignore the thousands of migrant workers killed or the denial of many human rights to gays or the unfair treatment of women. Let's just sweep it under the carpet and all enjoy ourselves.

All credit to the Danish team for being so vocal in their support of basic human freedoms.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/63506951

Indeed. I'll be boycotting it all again, which is a shame because it's a fun atmosphere when the international tournaments are on (or it is in Europe at least).

1 hour ago, Matt said:

Indeed. I'll be boycotting it all again, which is a shame because it's a fun atmosphere when the international tournaments are on (or it is in Europe at least).

Very much doubt it will be this time. Not just because of where it is but also because of when it is.

There's no build up to the tournament whatsoever like you get with a summer World Cup, you're going straight from domestic football into the tournament. Usually you'll get a few weeks between the two, which means people can switch focus and the excitement can build.

Also, with the immediate start and end of the domestic stuff into the World Cup will mean that more players than usual are going to miss out on the World Cup due to injury. That's not to say players don't miss major tournaments when they're held in the summer but at least they have some time to recover. With this one you're going to have players that have simple two week injuries and they're missing a major tournament. That's ridiculous.

Their whole bid was predicated on it being capable of being held in the summer. That was a fucking lie cooked up between Qatar and FIFA knowing that they'd lose the vote otherwise, and once it was awarded to them they could then change it to the winter and people would have to go along with it. Money and corruption is 100% behind this World Cup.

I hope this tournament is an abject failure so that FIFA aren't tempted to hold another winter World Cup ever again.

I'm quite surprised that Southgate has gone with Maguire and Henderson, even while claiming that others are left out because of poor form. And Maguire is not in poor form? It's nice to see Coady in the squad, but Tarkowski deserves to be as well. Personally, I think England's midfield is its Achilles Heel; midfield is usually where games are won and lost.

On 10/11/2022 at 14:51, Cornish Steve said:

I'm quite surprised that Southgate has gone with Maguire and Henderson, even while claiming that others are left out because of poor form. And Maguire is not in poor form? It's nice to see Coady in the squad, but Tarkowski deserves to be as well. Personally, I think England's midfield is its Achilles Heel; midfield is usually where games are won and lost.

I’m not surprised, got his favourites and “Hendo” and maguire are his boys. 

The bloke from Newcastle and Tarkowski should be way ahead of maguire 

Boycotts are a tricky subject, especially when it comes to business. I'm so grateful to corporations that stand up for what's right and publicly protest against rogue practices and regimes; however, it's not easy to decide when and how far to go, and someone's always quick to criticize either way. If I had the means to attend the World Cup, I probably would in most countries, but I would most likely choose to avoid countries with such a poor record on human rights as Qatar. So was I right to travel to Vietnam on business, or Venezuela? What about Cuba? I've not yet chosen to avoid a country for business travel, but leisure travel is different.