IGNORED

Newcastle (Home) Saturday 30 January

markjazzbassist

6 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Sigurdsson was the exception, if Allan was fit he would clearly have started, other than that I think most people would agree that is our strongest XI . Doesn’t matter who he picked to fill in for Allen because he has tried Gomes, Gylfi and Davies numerous times and they’ve all proven beyond doubt that they are not up to it

You said without Allan that that's our strongest squad. Yet only 1 person included him in their guess of the starting team and that was in a different position. 

I doubt many would agree with you that Sigurdsson is the best option to replace Allan. Doucoure is the box to box centre mid, that leaves the one next to him as the more defensive. I'd imagine more Everton fans would rather Godfrey or even Holgate play there before Sigurdsson. 

Davies has played well filling Allan's boots. Gomes has been hot and cold. Sigurdsson has been dogshit, especially in that position.

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You said without Allan that that's our strongest squad. Yet only 1 person included him in their guess of the starting team and that was in a different position. 

I doubt many would agree with you that Sigurdsson is the best option to replace Allan. Doucoure is the box to box centre mid, that leaves the one next to him as the more defensive. I'd imagine more Everton fans would rather Godfrey or even Holgate play there before Sigurdsson. 

Davies has played well filling Allan's boots. Gomes has been hot and cold. Sigurdsson has been dogshit, especially in that position.

I have never once said Siggurdson is the best option to replace Allan 

What I actually said was apart from Allan that is probably our strongest XI with Gylfi being the exception

I also said all three ( Gylfi, Gomes and Davies) have had numerous opportunities and all have proven they just aren’t good enough

I really don’t get the shouts for playing Godfrey there either, ok so he played a few games there for Shrewsbury in League One a few years ago but has anyone actually seen him play that role? I think there is a bit of a difference between League One and the Premiership

8 hours ago, Hafnia said:

The second part had nothing to do with you and Tom Davies had nothing to do with the game 

It was my way of making the point that whipping boy Tom who gets shit when he hasn't been the shittest had his place taken by Gylfi who played worse than I've ever seen Tom. 

I think you have me confused with someone else. I hadn’t mentioned Tom and am not a Siggy fan in the slightest. My comments were purely about last seasons feeling even worse than yesterday’s shambles. 

28 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I have never once said Siggurdson is the best option to replace Allan 

What I actually said was apart from Allan that is probably our strongest XI with Gylfi being the exception

I also said all three ( Gylfi, Gomes and Davies) have had numerous opportunities and all have proven they just aren’t good enough

I really don’t get the shouts for playing Godfrey there either, ok so he played a few games there for Shrewsbury in League One a few years ago but has anyone actually seen him play that role? I think there is a bit of a difference between League One and the Premiership

You do know you can scroll up and see exactly what you said.

On 30/01/2021 at 15:53, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Think just about everyone agreed with the line up before kick off, minus Allan that is our strongest XI. It was the application of the players that was shite

Your words are that that's our strongest eleven without Allan. 

You've said it's our best minus Allan. I've disagreed and highlighted no one else did pregame. But no Dunc always right aren't yer.

44 minutes ago, barryj said:

I think you have me confused with someone else. I hadn’t mentioned Tom and am not a Siggy fan in the slightest. My comments were purely about last seasons feeling even worse than yesterday’s shambles. 

No I know that. I wasn't even thinking that you did, not a good post in that sense. 

39 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You do know you can scroll up and see exactly what you said.

Your words are that that's our strongest eleven without Allan. 

You've said it's our best minus Allan. I've disagreed and highlighted no one else did pregame. But no Dunc always right aren't yer.

You have misunderstood me . I meant if Allan had played that was our strongest XI, you don’t need to carry on scrolling to see that I also tried to clarify it for you by saying  Gylfi was the exception because you actually quoted me on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

So no idea why you are trying to make an issue out of it?

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

You have misunderstood me . I meant if Allan had played that was our strongest XI, you don’t need to carry on scrolling to see that I also tried to clarify it for you by saying  Gylfi was the exception because you actually quoted me on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

So no idea why you are trying to make an issue out of it?

You said our strongest eleven without Allan available is the one that was put out. Not our strongest 10 that usually play with Allan. 

You said everyone would agree with that eleven. I'm pointing out that most wouldn't as 0/5 picked him there, and only 1/5 even included him in their selection. 

5 minutes ago, pete0 said:

You said our strongest eleven without Allan available is the one that was put out. Not our strongest 10 that usually play with Allan. 

You said everyone would agree with that eleven. I'm pointing out that most wouldn't as 0/5 picked him there, and only 1/5 even included him in their selection. 

No I never , I said it was our strongest XI minus Allan meaning had Allan been in the side it would be our strongest eleven

You misunderstood it and I’ve tried to clarify it for you but you are having none of it

What do you think I meant by Gylfi was the exception ?

Why the fuck are you even seeing your arse about it?

The post had fuck all to do with Gylfi it was merely pointing out that I agreed that the shit performance was on the players rather than Carlo

28 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

No I never , I said it was our strongest XI minus Allan meaning had Allan been in the side it would be our strongest eleven

You misunderstood it and I’ve tried to clarify it for you but you are having none of it

What do you think I meant by Gylfi was the exception ?

Why the fuck are you even seeing your arse about it?

The post had fuck all to do with Gylfi it was merely pointing out that I agreed that the shit performance was on the players rather than Carlo

I didn't misunderstand anything. When clarifying did you name another player instead of Sig? No, you said Gomes and Davies haven't proven any better. 

Ever admitted you were wrong?

21 minutes ago, pete0 said:

I didn't misunderstand anything. When clarifying did you name another player instead of Sig? No, you said Gomes and Davies haven't proven any better. 

Ever admitted you were wrong?

I give up Pete I’ve told you what I meant and I don’t really give a toss what you want to believe 

On 30/01/2021 at 15:53, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Think just about everyone agreed with the line up before kick off, minus Allan that is our strongest XI. It was the application of the players that was shite

Sorry Pal the strongest 11 includes Godfrey at left back he’s been absolutely superb and right now he’s in contention for player of the season. 

At the start of the season I’d have agreed with you but on the recent evidence we’ve been better with Holgate RB, Keane & Mina CB and Godfrey left back. 

Digne has to be played at LW If he’s to be included. I’d put Richarlison upfront or behind Dom as it’s not working out for him in that left side. 

16 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Sorry Pal the strongest 11 includes Godfrey at left back he’s been absolutely superb and right now he’s in contention for player of the season. 

At the start of the season I’d have agreed with you but on the recent evidence we’ve been better with Holgate RB, Keane & Mina CB and Godfrey left back. 

Digne has to be played at LW If he’s to be included. I’d put Richarlison upfront or behind Dom as it’s not working out for him in that left side. 

I agree to an extent but the problem with Godfrey and Holgate as fullbacks is that they offer nothing going forward, not that Coleman or Digne ended up making any difference against Newcastle

That’s been our problem , at the start of the season we were great going forward but shipping too many goals at the back

Godfrey and Holgate have both been instrumental in shoring up the defence but now we are shite going forward and offer no kind of attacking threat

We need to find a happy medium 

Newcastle’s form was woeful coming into the game so IMO Carlo was right to field a more attacking formation 

10 minutes ago, MC11 said:

I imagine that if we had set up like that against Newcastle (Godfrey or Holgate over Digne or Coleman) then I think there would have been a few questions. 

Do you play a centre back playing out of position, who is below average when he gets past the half way line or the guy leading the defender's assists table and another feller who has been one of the best attacking full backs in the league, who admittedly isn't at his best in that department any longer (but still better than his replacement). 

In hindsight it didn't work out but it would have been a very negative line-up if the two full backs weren't included.

1 minute ago, Bailey said:

I imagine that if we had set up like that against Newcastle (Godfrey or Holgate over Digne or Coleman) then I think there would have been a few questions. 

Do you play a centre back playing out of position, who is below average when he gets past the half way line or the guy leading the defender's assists table and another feller who has been one of the best attacking full backs in the league, who admittedly isn't at his best in that department any longer (but still better than his replacement). 

In hindsight it didn't work out but it would have been a very negative line-up if the two full backs weren't included.

Digne has to play on the left in a more advanced role. I think that’s the solution. The back four need to be the 4 centre backs as we don’t concede as many goals. With Digne further forward he provides that threat. 

On the one hand it's very frustrating we haven't taken advantage of United and Arsenal drawing and Leicester, Tottenham and West Ham losing. But on the other hand, thank God those results happened because it means the damage is minimal. On to Leeds. The Newcastle result has been wiped from my memory (why do I always have to say that about our fucking Newcastle results??).

2 minutes ago, MC11 said:

Digne has to play on the left in a more advanced role. I think that’s the solution. The back four need to be the 4 centre backs as we don’t concede as many goals. With Digne further forward he provides that threat. 

Really? I know he got an assist but he wasn't a threat in the game. 

Having said that, Richarlison wasn't much more of a threat yesterday. 

I just don't see how playing 4 centre backs and a left back in midfield will help us play attacking football and score goals. We will be relying on the odd counter attack or a set piece.

35 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Really? I know he got an assist but he wasn't a threat in the game. 

Having said that, Richarlison wasn't much more of a threat yesterday. 

I just don't see how playing 4 centre backs and a left back in midfield will help us play attacking football and score goals. We will be relying on the odd counter attack or a set piece.

Godfrey keeps Digne out of the back four unfortunately. I’ll be very surprised if Digne plays left back against Leeds. 

https://youtu.be/y4WlaqIHxcY

Highlights if anyone is a glutton for punishment.

Just before 3 minutes they done exactly the same corner as the goal but Pickford manages to get his fingers to it. So Richarlison really should have been on the ball for the one that they did score. I was already pissed off with his performance but the highlights really do show how dogshit he's been lately. He's cost us 2 goals in his last 2 games. That's as many as he's scored all season.

Ps. Sigurdsson is a lazy bastard. 2:30 and 3:55. 

15 hours ago, pete0 said:

https://youtu.be/y4WlaqIHxcY

Highlights if anyone is a glutton for punishment.

Just before 3 minutes they done exactly the same corner as the goal but Pickford manages to get his fingers to it. So Richarlison really should have been on the ball for the one that they did score. I was already pissed off with his performance but the highlights really do show how dogshit he's been lately. He's cost us 2 goals in his last 2 games. That's as many as he's scored all season.

Ps. Sigurdsson is a lazy bastard. 2:30 and 3:55. 

To be fair to him and DCL before that, its not easy in a zonal marking system. The attacker always has the run on you. Its not like he doesn't attack the ball and from a standing start he has to read the flight and then try and get about 4 yards away to where the ball is headed. The more I watch it back, the more I think he didn't have a chance of getting there. Its clever work from the Newcastle coaching staff. They have been paying attention, I suspect more coaches will follow suit now as well.