IGNORED

Newcastle (Home) Saturday 30 January

markjazzbassist

Absolute dross, as flat as a fart, and no input from the touch line, if fat Sam had been in charge at the moment, we would rip him a new one on here.

But Carlo gets away with it because hes Carlo, but there are to many of these performances for my liking. 

11 men in our own half on Wednesday, now this, and other games, im not seeing enough change in our mentality.

Im seeing better quality players, but not enough with backbone, and spirit.

We lost today on mentality, player for player we were superior, by far.

That performance stemmed from the Leicester game. 
We hear pundits talk about confidence and the importance and gaining momentum, but how can we gain confidence if we sit back every game.

the lads today were void of any ideas. The same old get it out wide and cross it in, in hope of DCL getting a head on the ball.

CM wasn’t good again and that was without. Davies who I’m sure couldn’t have been worse than Gylfi.

We lack some pace/ creativity in the middle of the park. Games are won/ lost in CM. 
Allan back soon of course but we need more. 

unfortunately, there is not a great deal on our bench who could come on and change a games dynamic. Who do you bring on for Richy - Gordon isn't the answer>

I don't think having either Cenk or Bernard on the bench either would have done much good - they are not game changers. So good it looks like there are moving on in the next day or two.  If you think Walcott, Bolasie, Bernard and Cenk  - we are moving some considerable mediocracy high paid player on this season - I am expecting big changes to our attacking options next season - much like the changes we have seen in midfield this season.

Allan is a massive out in games like this - he is a the player you relay on to cover defensively, he allow attacking players more freedom to confidently push up the pitch - our full backs didn't do that today as much as I thought they would. Allan also passes and drives out from the back - James has been coming to deep sometimes for the ball, and if the backs aren't attacking then there is much going on if front of him.  I wonder if with Allan is there he would drop so deep so often.

Results like this are frustrating, but I know we are a team this season who are still building to be a top 4-6 as opposed to already an established top 4 teams - I have said a few times that there are going to be bumps in the road. Today was one of them and its frustrating when we do better against what you would say are stronger teams and lose against the teams that on paper we should be beating. 

I think when we all saw the team sheet today - bar one or two personal preferences I think most will have said it was very close to line ups most of us would have chosen. The problem was pretty much most player had a below par performance compared to what we have expected. 

This season is about putting down a good foundation to build from in the next couple of seasons - and I would rather it take a couple of seasons spending the time getting the right blend of players in to the club. We are still in clear out mode - but I think that pretty much comes to an end this January. We are a team still very much in transition. 

We are so much a better team than when Ancellotti arrived, even if we are not yet showing it in every single game we play. Every single transfer last summer has hit the mark - so I am looking forward to seen how we develop in the summer. 

23 minutes ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m not getting the people blaming Carlo, he can’t go out there and play the match.  There was no intensity or big effort it was going through the motions.  That’s not Carlo.  That is the players.

Think just about everyone agreed with the line up before kick off, minus Allan that is our strongest XI. It was the application of the players that was shite

Thought I’d wait a bit before making any comments, so pissed off at the end of the game.

Thought we started quite well, Digne had acres of space on the left, but failed to put a telling ball in the box, Richy is so off form at the moment and didn’t offer any options for Digne to use him. If we don’t score early we seem to loose our way and let other teams in, which is what happened today, not helped by having Siggy failing to drive the team forward from midfield, Tom Davies may not to be everyone’s liking but he does try and run forward with the ball. Newcastle played a clever game in kicking seven shades out of us in the first half, with the aim of slowing down our creativity and it worked. Carlo said earlier in the season DCL should always be within the width of the goals, today he had to come looking for the ball resulting with no one in the box when we had opportunities to get the ball in. We certainly don’t look like a team that thinks it can get a place in the top 6 on this showing.

We haven’t bought this transfer window I think more on the belief we have enough talent in the squad to get us to the end of the season and a European spot, this game has dispelled that for me we need to improve the squad if we want that goal this season, personally I’m prepared to wait for next summer to delve into the transfer market to improve the team for a better effort of achieving our goal next season, the team is definitely improving from last season and may not be ready yet to take the next step up, I don’t want a European spot with a team that’s going to perform like we did with Koemans squad. 
Let’s be honest must have us wanted to see improvement this season which we’ve had, bar today and couples of other bad games, Ancelotti’s first season in charge has been a complete contrast to what we’ve witnessed in the past 4 seasons, bitterly bitterly disappointed by today’s performance but I hold the belief much better is to come for us next season under Ancelotti. 

1 hour ago, plaidharper said:

Granted Newcastle kicked us a good bit but we just lost a midfield battle to Shelvey and Hayden 🙈

For the second time this season...

20 minutes ago, Wiggytop said:

Thought I’d wait a bit before making any comments, so pissed off at the end of the game.

Thought we started quite well, Digne had acres of space on the left, but failed to put a telling ball in the box, Richy is so off form at the moment and didn’t offer any options for Digne to use him. If we don’t score early we seem to loose our way and let other teams in, which is what happened today, not helped by having Siggy failing to drive the team forward from midfield, Tom Davies may not to be everyone’s liking but he does try and run forward with the ball. Newcastle played a clever game in kicking seven shades out of us in the first half, with the aim of slowing down our creativity and it worked. Carlo said earlier in the season DCL should always be within the width of the goals, today he had to come looking for the ball resulting with no one in the box when we had opportunities to get the ball in. We certainly don’t look like a team that thinks it can get a place in the top 6 on this showing.

I'm not sure I agree about DCL. I watched him closely today in the second half and I thought he was slow to act. Quite a lot of times, he would make a movement to find the space but it was after the moment for the pass.

This meant that by the time he was ready and in the space, the passer had to look elsewhere. When he did get the ball played into him, he then did very little with it, other than the great bit of play that led to our only real chance. Too often he gets the ball to feet and the ball either goes back in the direction it came from or he tries something far too expansive. Even on one occasion he did get the ball down and out wide to Iwobi, it was about 5 yards behind where it should have been and we lost momentum. 

Plenty of issues with the other members of that front 3 as well but if DCL wants to make the next step he needs to start thinking about what he is doing more when he is outside of the box and taking more care when he has the ball under control.

1 hour ago, markjazzbassist said:

I’m not getting the people blaming Carlo, he can’t go out there and play the match.  There was no intensity or big effort it was going through the motions.  That’s not Carlo.  That is the players.

He picked Sigurdsson in midfield as the sitter. Davies or Gomes would have had more control in that game and got the ball moving faster. 

Defensively Davies is safer option and attacking what Gomes offers more. Sigurdsson offers nothing. 

Richarlison has been shit all season. Iwobi has shown in the last few games that he can turn a game on its head with a dribble and make something happen. Richarlison needed slinging at half time.

35 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Think just about everyone agreed with the line up before kick off, minus Allan that is our strongest XI. It was the application of the players that was shite

5 people named teams before the game. Only 1 included Sigurdsson and it was in a different position.

If anyone thinks today would have been any different with Davies or Gomes starting instead of Siggy is watching a different game to me. 

They are all varying levels of shit and not one of them can be counted to turn up when you need them. 

I agree that Siggy was poor but I couldn't say that he was significantly worse than the rest of them. 

Our lack of pace anywhere really is a problem. We don't have a single player that will absolutely speed away from the opposition. Not one. Some might say Iwobi's quick, and I thought he would be to be honest, but he's not quick at all. Faster than our snails, yes, but he's not a speedster. You can get away with that if you move the ball quickly but we play so, so slowly as well. There's no change of pace to our play whatsoever. That becomes a massive problem when you're faced with a side like Newcastle who will just stay compact and be content to sit in and then counter-attack.

We need to sign some quick players, desperately. Or find more players like James that are quick of mind and don't need to take 3 touches before passing.

Newcastle had a poor 11 players on the pitch compared to our 11, but they had a team we had 11 well paid players.

Bruce set them up well, leave a foot in, stop James playing, and don't give us time on the ball, we had no plan.

And that comes from the work done during the week, to drop 6 points to that shower is criminal, IMO 

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

If anyone thinks today would have been any different with Davies or Gomes starting instead of Siggy is watching a different game to me. 

They are all varying levels of shit and not one of them can be counted to turn up when you need them. 

I agree that Siggy was poor but I couldn't say that he was significantly worse than the rest of them. 

Both Gomes and Davies take the ball on the turn and look forward which would have made a massive difference in our tempo. We've got James Rodriguez on the pitch and that fraudster was pointing for players to pass it back to Keane and Mina. 

18 minutes ago, pete0 said:

Both Gomes and Davies take the ball on the turn and look forward which would have made a massive difference in our tempo. We've got James Rodriguez on the pitch and that fraudster was pointing for players to pass it back to Keane and Mina. 

I had no problem with him starting, honestly. He's looked better in his last few appearances, so I could accept it. But it was infuriating that he wasn't subbed because he added absolutely nothing to the game.

4 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

All very true but we’re either any worse than Iwobi for example?

I didn’t think Iwobi gave it away and actually thought he tried to get us going forward. 1 nice turn and run, also another good dribble that lead to foul. Gylfi should have gone off well before Iwobi 

4 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

Our lack of pace anywhere really is a problem. We don't have a single player that will absolutely speed away from the opposition. Not one. Some might say Iwobi's quick, and I thought he would be to be honest, but he's not quick at all. Faster than our snails, yes, but he's not a speedster. You can get away with that if you move the ball quickly but we play so, so slowly as well. There's no change of pace to our play whatsoever. That becomes a massive problem when you're faced with a side like Newcastle who will just stay compact and be content to sit in and then counter-attack.

We need to sign some quick players, desperately. Or find more players like James that are quick of mind and don't need to take 3 touches before passing.

I definately think pace will be high on the list of attributes ancellotti will be asking for in any wingers coming in. I have high hopes in the summer that now most of the dross has been cleared out, their replacements will be carefully selected to fit in to Ancelloti's squad. Four players in last summer, and hopefully similar number wide and attacking players this summer, and then the mainstay of the team will then be Ancelloti's.

We saw quality come in to the club last summer. I am confident the right player will be brought in, to complement what we already have.

To me there feels like there is a proper plan underway and we are in good hands at the moment. 

7 hours ago, Bailey said:

For the second time this season...

I'm not sure I agree about DCL. I watched him closely today in the second half and I thought he was slow to act. Quite a lot of times, he would make a movement to find the space but it was after the moment for the pass.

This meant that by the time he was ready and in the space, the passer had to look elsewhere. When he did get the ball played into him, he then did very little with it, other than the great bit of play that led to our only real chance. Too often he gets the ball to feet and the ball either goes back in the direction it came from or he tries something far too expansive. Even on one occasion he did get the ball down and out wide to Iwobi, it was about 5 yards behind where it should have been and we lost momentum. 

Plenty of issues with the other members of that front 3 as well but if DCL wants to make the next step he needs to start thinking about what he is doing more when he is outside of the box and taking more care when he has the ball under control.

His head is down I think not having scored in the Prem for a couple of months.

9 hours ago, barryj said:

Why did you quote me and then state this? Nothing at all to do with my post? Confused  🤷‍♂️

The second part had nothing to do with you and Tom Davies had nothing to do with the game 

It was my way of making the point that whipping boy Tom who gets shit when he hasn't been the shittest had his place taken by Gylfi who played worse than I've ever seen Tom. 

18 hours ago, pete0 said:

He picked Sigurdsson in midfield as the sitter. Davies or Gomes would have had more control in that game and got the ball moving faster. 

Defensively Davies is safer option and attacking what Gomes offers more. Sigurdsson offers nothing. 

Richarlison has been shit all season. Iwobi has shown in the last few games that he can turn a game on its head with a dribble and make something happen. Richarlison needed slinging at half time.

5 people named teams before the game. Only 1 included Sigurdsson and it was in a different position.

Sigurdsson was the exception, if Allan was fit he would clearly have started, other than that I think most people would agree that is our strongest XI . Doesn’t matter who he picked to fill in for Allen because he has tried Gomes, Gylfi and Davies numerous times and they’ve all proven beyond doubt that they are not up to it