IGNORED

Burnley (Home) Saturday 13 March

markjazzbassist

I know I tend to pick on Gomes unduly, but, looking at their first goal again, just watch Gomes trotting back without a care in the world. If he demonstrated a hunger to win, he could have put pressure on Wood and potentially made a difference. I really don't get his ultra-relaxed attitude.

On the other hand, I think we've identified a target for the summer transfer window: Dwight McNeil is quite a player. His goal was sublime, and he was by far Burnley's best player.

4 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

I know I tend to pick on Gomes unduly, but, looking at their first goal again, just watch Gomes trotting back without a care in the world. If he demonstrated a hunger to win, he could have put pressure on Wood and potentially made a difference. I really don't get his ultra-relaxed attitude.

On the other hand, I think we've identified a target for the summer transfer window: Dwight McNeil is quite a player. His goal was sublime, and he was by far Burnley's best player.

I think you need to look at Davies again. Not only did he lose the ball but he has the chance to get back goalside of the eventual goalscorer but he doesn't really sprint back, at least not the whole way and then he gets fixated on the ball and the scorer literally runs right in front of him. 

Why you chose to let off Davies and instesd criticise a player, who despite starting much further away probably gets closest to the goalscorer, is beyond me. 

2 hours ago, Bailey said:

I think you need to look at Davies again. Not only did he lose the ball but he has the chance to get back goalside of the eventual goalscorer but he doesn't really sprint back, at least not the whole way and then he gets fixated on the ball and the scorer literally runs right in front of him. 

Why you chose to let off Davies and instesd criticise a player, who despite starting much further away probably gets closest to the goalscorer, is beyond me. 

The moment the ball left the defender's foot (it was Michael Keane), I had a sense of exactly what would happen. Davies was the one player to whom the ball should not be passed. Just look where the Burnley players were the moment the ball was kicked. It put Davies under unnecessary pressure.

Unfortunately, these highlights don't show that incident, but they do reveal Gomes' nonchalance. Start the video at 2:04. Gomes is the Everton player ambling back at the bottom left. There's no doubt at all in my mind that, had he shown some urgency, he could have pressured Wood and prevented the goal.

So, while Davies is the obvious person to blame, for me the bigger culprits are Keane, who passed to him, and Gomes, who slowed down rather than pick up speed.

Did anyone see Foden receive the ball in much the same position last night?

I know it’s worlds apart and it’s no slight on Davies.... but that’s the difference between a player who is willing to risk the turn.... and players who few they have to be careful not to make a mistake.

11 hours ago, Shukes said:

Did anyone see Foden receive the ball in much the same position last night?

I know it’s worlds apart and it’s no slight on Davies.... but that’s the difference between a player who is willing to risk the turn.... and players who few they have to be careful not to make a mistake.

I’m only just watching the game now. Honestly 25 minutes in. Davies got sold out, no way was that ball on. As I’m watching, we’ve actually been good. We gave them their first goal and the second is just a class moment.

On 15/03/2021 at 22:35, Bailey said:

Davies was at fault for not looking after the ball, should be capable of doing that 

But he didn't lazily not try and win the ball back - he did get up and try and recover it. He didn't even so much as try and claim the foul - he was up for immediately and got back.

He is at fault for it but he doesn't need some extra bollocks aimed at him which isn't true. You give it big long paragraphs of analysis which are good insights into what you see ... but why try and say something that isn't true cos you don't like Davies as a player? 

On 18/03/2021 at 07:14, Btay said:

I’m only just watching the game now. Honestly 25 minutes in. Davies got sold out, no way was that ball on. As I’m watching, we’ve actually been good. We gave them their first goal and the second is just a class moment.

Not hitting on Davies for it mate, just pointing out the difference in us and teams like City.

Its where we need to vastly improve for me.

On 18/03/2021 at 08:02, Hafnia said:

Davies was at fault for not looking after the ball, should be capable of doing that 

But he didn't lazily not try and win the ball back - he did get up and try and recover it. He didn't even so much as try and claim the foul - he was up for immediately and got back.

He is at fault for it but he doesn't need some extra bollocks aimed at him which isn't true. You give it big long paragraphs of analysis which are good insights into what you see ... but why try and say something that isn't true cos you don't like Davies as a player? 

I didnt say he was lazy, its that he gets fixed on the ball. He might not sprint back as hard as I may like but he is in the position to do something and then the man he can stop he lets him get away again. 

It is completely true. Its there in the video.

On 16/03/2021 at 01:05, Cornish Steve said:

OK - you can see it on this video. Go to 2:17 and look at Davies; no fewer than FIVE Burnley players are surrounding him. Godfrey, who made the previous pass, was open on the left. Why not pass back to him? Passing to Davies was reckless and poor decision-making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8p2AiE6ZNM

Davies had time and space to receive the pass. If you dont make those passes in a game of football you dont go advance anywhere up the pitch, you just hoof it long.