IGNORED

Burnley (Home) Saturday 13 March

markjazzbassist

these are the bogey games for us, they will be a parked bus and praying for a point and we need to attack and use all our fancy moves in the box and get some goals.  if we can get a goal they will have to open up and that suits us.  

Pickford

Coleman Keane Godfrey Digne

Allan

Davies    Gylfi

James      DCL     Richarlison

3 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'd bet a large sum we have less posession than they do.

Easy money.

It's a bit annoying that so many of our fans talk about sides like Burnley and West Brom like they do. On the whole they play better football than us - West Brom were a much better footballing side than us when they played us but before the game it was all about how they'd kick us and not attack. It was absolute bollocks and I fully expect Burnley to be more the more threatening side on Saturday. Just like West Brom were.

Bleating on for a while now ( like i do ). I just want to see a win with some conviction. I want to see some nice football on show, and not from Burnley before it's said.

Carlo has got the club heading in the right direction regarding results. He's bringing the best out of players bar Iwobi and Holgate of late. Would it be too much to ask for a performance to go with a win? We are not playing great football under Carlo and we're not a good team to watch from a neutral perspective. Hopefully Saturday this will change.

i would like to see.

Pickford

Coleman    Keane   Godfrey     Digne

Allan

James             Davies         Richy

DCL     King

5 hours ago, Btay said:

I think it’s going to be 

Pickford 

Holgate   Keane   Godfrey   Digne

Davies         Allan 

James

Iwobi              DCL            Richarlison

I do like the idea of James in a more central role. 

13 hours ago, Palfy said:

I do like the idea of James in a more central role. 

It just makes the most sense. It's his preferred position for a start and allows him to work his magic in a position of the pitch where he can do the most damage - not to mention it takes away pretty much any defensive responsibility from him.

I hope he's fit because chances are going to be few and far between for us (as usual) but he can create the best quality chances, and that's what we'll need.

These home game against teams below us are now the bread and butter games that we now HAVE to be winning if want a top 4 or even top 6 finish this season. 

We have the more expensive squad who are on bigger wages, so little excuse for any players to come off the feild as second best in these game.

Unlike playing the likes of Chelsea et al, WE have the 'quality' in these games, so if we at least match the opponents with desire and hardwork, then no reason not to win these games.

8 hours ago, Romey 1878 said:

It just makes the most sense. It's his preferred position for a start and allows him to work his magic in a position of the pitch where he can do the most damage - not to mention it takes away pretty any defensive responsibility from him.

I hope he's fit because chances are going to be few and far between for us (as usual) but he can create the best quality chances, and that's what we'll need.

Your right, and he would also benefit from a longer run of games, not so much for his benefit but more for the benefit of those who play around him, they need to be in tune with his ability and what he can do if that makes sense, but at the moment little injuries are hampering him and robbing us. 

1 hour ago, Palfy said:

Your right, and he would also benefit from a longer run of games, not so much for his benefit but more for the benefit of those who play around him, they need to be in tune with his ability and what he can do if that makes sense, but at the moment little injuries are hampering him and robbing us. 

He wasn’t in training today so it doesn’t look like he’ll be playing. 

The first 10 games of the season we were playing expansive football, but we were conceding far to many goals. So we swapped to a low block defence, became compact and hit teams when their attacks broke down, or in transition. 

With so many games there has only been time to prepare for each game and rest so no time for Carlo to implement his methods. This season is all about getting into Europe so its safety first. Carlo has always been a pragmatist so the attractive flowing football will have to wait until next season.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

I don't think we will ever see James play every week. He wasn't that player before he came here and it doesn't look like he is that player here now. 

1 hour ago, London Blue said:

The first 10 games of the season we were playing expansive football, but we were conceding far to many goals. So we swapped to a low block defence, became compact and hit teams when their attacks broke down, or in transition. 

With so many games there has only been time to prepare for each game and rest so no time for Carlo to implement his methods. This season is all about getting into Europe so its safety first. Carlo has always been a pragmatist so the attractive flowing football will have to wait until next season.

Tuchel has come into Chelsea and implemented his methods straight away.

Pochettino joined Southampton days before they played us and they in his mould in that game many moons ago.

Klopp did the same at Liverpool, Rodgers too at Leicester. 

No-one expects miracles overnight but I feel like we are regressing to the type of football we saw post lockdown last season rather than taking steps forward.

10 hours ago, Bailey said:

I don't think we will ever see James play every week. He wasn't that player before he came here and it doesn't look like he is that player here now. 

Pochettino joined Southampton days before they played us and they in his mould in that game many moons ago.

No-one expects miracles overnight but I feel like we are regressing to the type of football we saw post lockdown last season rather than taking steps forward.

In Carlo we trust.

16 hours ago, Bailey said:

We're injured, not regressing. We have 11-12 players who are 'deserving' of finishing 7th or better. When we can't field our perfect XI it's a struggle. Carlo is a world-class manager but he can't turn squad players into gold...looking at you Iwobi, Bernard, Siggy, King.  

With a good summer window we can get that number to 13-15 and be more competitive more consistently. 

23 hours ago, AlbanyNYToffee said:

We're injured, not regressing. We have 11-12 players who are 'deserving' of finishing 7th or better. When we can't field our perfect XI it's a struggle. Carlo is a world-class manager but he can't turn squad players into gold...looking at you Iwobi, Bernard, Siggy, King.  

With a good summer window we can get that number to 13-15 and be more competitive more consistently. 

We can still play the right way without having our best 11 players available. If you look around the league, lots of teams are struggling with injuries and fatigue. We are better off in many ways because we don't have lots of midweek games to contend with as well compared to the European teams.

I completely understand the argument that some replacement players aren't as good as the starters but can you honestly tell me that we are pressing as well, staying as compact, generating and sustaining pressure in the opposition third etc etc. I am not saying that our output should drop because Iwobi is starting ahead of James but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be maintaining our basic footballing principles.

For what its worth, I think good managers can turn squad players into important members of the team. Look at Klopp, prior to his arrival, how many would have said Henderson and Milner would be important members of his starting line-up for different successful seasons? Fred and McTominay were being written off until Ole turned them into weekly starters. Think about how many average players were in the Utd sides under SAF. There are loads of examples of average players, who wouldn't have expected to get a game under other managers, coming into the team and sticking around.

That isn't me writing off Carlo by the way, far from it, but I think the whole club needs a kick up the arse because this is the season to gatecrash those top spots and we have a massive opportunity that I desperately want us to take advantage of!

I think @Romey 1878 might have posted this in the Chelsea thread but Mina and Coleman are fit, James and Doucoure out with Siggy a maybe.

Doucoure confirmed as being out for 8-10 weeks which is a massive blow because we don't have a like for like replacement.

In my opinion Mina and Coleman need to come straight into the side for Holgate and Godfrey (assuming they are ready to go).

I’ll hope for .......

Pickford

Coleman   Keane   Godfrey   Digne

Allan            Davies

King           Gomes       Richarlison

DCL

Don’t have much confidence in either Iwobi or Bernard, though yes, either could come off the bench and score.  Davies and Gomes are pretty much interchangeable in midfield (not in skills but as middle-of-pitch players), so they’d drift back and forth.  Don’t think Holgate offers much going forward down the right, and he seems more confident as a CH than RB.  So I hope Coleman is actually fully ready to play.  If not, and Mina is ready, then I’d prefer to see .......

Godfrey       Mina        Keane       Digne

1 hour ago, Bailey said:

I think @Romey 1878 might have posted this in the Chelsea thread but Mina and Coleman are fit, James and Doucoure out with Siggy a maybe.

Doucoure confirmed as being out for 8-10 weeks which is a massive blow because we don't have a like for like replacement.

In my opinion Mina and Coleman need to come straight into the side for Holgate and Godfrey (assuming they are ready to go).

I didn't even realise I'd put it in the wrong thread :lol:.

16 hours ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

Not feeling at all confident about this , Burnley will sit back and let us have possession and we won’t have a fucking clue what to do with it,I can see a 1-0 defeat on the cards ☹️

And they call me out for being doom and gloom. 

2-1 to Burnley so at least we scored a goal 😉