IGNORED

Centre Backs

c1982

56 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

We were excited today by the midfield and the forward line, but let's not forget our defence. Going into this game, plenty were worried about Raphinha creating havoc down the right side, but we shut him down so effectively he was taken off at half-time. Yes, Rodrigo had two wonderful strikes that hit the woodwork, but other than that, our defence shut them down: a clean sheet and no shots on target from the opposition. That deserves enormous credit.

While I'm usually more than happy to hop on board the hype-train after a win this season, I just can't when it comes to our center halfs. A couple of good games here and there does not disguise the fact that we're very low on quality in that position, and that we need to bring in 1, likely 2 in the summer.

As said in the match day thread, credit where credits due. I don’t think they had a lot to do but when Keane, Holgate and Coleman had to deal with something they were composed and assured. 

Keane set the tone in the first 20 minutes, he wasn’t just winning everything but he was brave and finding a man with his headers or bringing the ball down and it allowed us to keep the pressure on. He was a lot tighter to his man and his passing was good. Much, much better from him.

48 minutes ago, Btay said:

As said in the match day thread, credit where credits due. I don’t think they had a lot to do but when Keane, Holgate and Coleman had to deal with something they were composed and assured. 

Keane set the tone in the first 20 minutes, he wasn’t just winning everything but he was brave and finding a man with his headers or bringing the ball down and it allowed us to keep the pressure on. He was a lot tighter to his man and his passing was good. Much, much better from him.

Went to an away at The Dell, Southampton early 2000s, my boy cracked up when a fellow blue behind us kept saying "Dunc, you are winning everything". Often quoted since..

3 minutes ago, Gwlad all over said:

Went to an away at The Dell, Southampton early 2000s, my boy cracked up when a fellow blue behind us kept saying "Dunc, you are winning everything". Often quoted since..

Many happy memories of The Dell, probably the away ground I visited most back in the day; 3-2 win there in 1985 with a really special Trevor Steven goal stands out.

Something very noticeable about Keane was how much he smiled in his interview after the game.

I love Michael Keane as a player, I really do, but I know he's got limitations and his biggest one isn't even a footballing ability one IMO. It's that he relies heavily on confidence. When he's confident and happy he's a brilliant defender and not much gets past him. When his confidence is low you wouldn't even class him as Sunday League standard.

He spoke about Lampard giving them freedom and passing the ball. Giving him the freedom to do the things he's good at (he is a really good passer of the ball) seems to have boosted his confidence (same goes for Holgate here) and we need a confident Keane because he's going to play week in, week out.

An easy game for our CBs due to pressing and good ball retention and the fact Leeds didn’t have much to offer in the final third, we will see them have a lot harder games before the season is finished and the same old weaknesses will be exposed again. I still think we need a complete overhaul of our CBs next transfer window. 

1 minute ago, Romey 1878 said:

It's amazing what happens when the midfield actually does it's job. When the defence isn't under constant pressure they will make less mistakes.

Like I've said, the midfield is just as much to blame for our frailties and it's been that way for a long time.

I think that’s what I’ve said about the performance from all the players in front of them, but I'm also saying we won’t be that dominant in all games going forward, and that’s when you need your CBs to step up, and ours seem incapable of doing that under pressure. 

48 minutes ago, Palfy said:

An easy game for our CBs due to pressing and good ball retention and the fact Leeds didn’t have much to offer in the final third, we will see them have a lot harder games before the season is finished and the same old weaknesses will be exposed again. I still think we need a complete overhaul of our CBs next transfer window. 

I agree - the lack of striker on show for Leeds yesterday made it a lot easier but, credit where it’s due, neither Holgate nor Keane put a foot wrong and when called upon, more often than not, went for the safe/ low-risk option. We were desperate for that clean sheet and it was well deserved.