IGNORED

Palace (Away) FA Cup QF Sunday 20 March

AlbanyNYToffee

4 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

I know we all love Frank's attitude and spirit, but at some point we need to start holding him accountable. Obviously the players are garbage and I wish we could move on 75% of them, but as a manager you have to be able to adapt if something isn't working.

And this isn't working.

I agree. The only thing that has changed is that we are faster starters now but that is it.

1 minute ago, Shukes said:

When did it work? 
We can keep blaming managers. But if you give a cleaner a chisel and hammer…. They won’t just turn into a carpenter.

Same as our players. You can’t give them a few training sessions and expect them to turn into footballers.

I just don't see the organisation and ideas that he is trying to instil into this team at the moment. You don't need amazing footballers to implement basic ideas. If moves breakdown because they all have two left feet then that is one thing but you can just see the players are unsure of what they are meant to be doing and they aren't suited to that style of play. 

No doubt Lampard needs time to get this squad how he wants it but he has to work with what he has and at the moment he is making a bit of a mess of that IMO.

16 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

McCoist just nailed it……. How can the side we were in first 15 get beat 4 nil

I think badaids nailed it.

21 minutes ago, badaids said:

Generic opposing teamtalk for whichever team we are facing. 

"Right lads, we can do this lot.  They're all over the place.  They'll come at us early doors, but just suck it up and shut them out.  After 15 minutes they'll drop back and start to leave gaps, that's when you start to play it round the midfield and their fans will get on their backs, heads will drop.  The then chances will come for us - and they can't defend for shit either.  One of them will make an error, miss your run or leave you unmarked.  And you'll be there to pounce.  Guaranteed.  After that they'll go to pieces and we'll pick them off.". 

J

6 minutes ago, Bailey said:

I agree. The only thing that has changed is that we are faster starters now but that is it.

I just don't see the organisation and ideas that he is trying to instil into this team at the moment. You don't need amazing footballers to implement basic ideas. If moves breakdown because they all have two left feet then that is one thing but you can just see the players are unsure of what they are meant to be doing and they aren't suited to that style of play. 

No doubt Lampard needs time to get this squad how he wants it but he has to work with what he has and at the moment he is making a bit of a mess of that IMO.

To be fair he is still picking up more points than previous managers isn’t he?

I don’t think we have fallen down since he has came in, we were already there and plummeting fast. He hasn’t steadied the ship, but he has shown signs that we can pick up points.

And for now, that’s all we need. We don’t have enough points on the board to spend time implementing systems. We can do that in pre season, or when we are safe.

1 minute ago, Hafnia said:

I’m gonna give players some slack….. we have had a recovery day then travel to London.  But it still doesn’t answer for how we drop

Its our typical season so far, break the drought with an amazing W, then follow up with rubbish and get what we deserve.

Too many fragile minds, though I much rather lose this game after beating the toon than losing to newcastle and progressing in this cup

25 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

I think we have all said how piss poor we are when things don’t go our way.  The way mccoist said it was very relevant to this game

Agree that what puzzled McCoist applied to today’s match.  Badaids’s hypothetical summary of an opposing manager’s pregame talk was a spot-on answer to McCoist’s puzzlement, based on our opposition’s sense of Everton’s players’ inability to focus and unwillingness to fight for 95 minutes.  Too many of our players far too often literally give up as play is happening.  They forget how to play hard, and so give up.

I know you know this, better and in more concrete detail than I.  We’re surely not really disagreeing here.

30 minutes ago, Elston Gunnn said:

Agree that what puzzled McCoist applied to today’s match.  Badaids’s hypothetical summary of an opposing manager’s pregame talk was a spot-on answer to McCoist’s puzzlement, based on our opposition’s sense of Everton’s players’ inability to focus and unwillingness to fight for 95 minutes.  Too many of our players far too often literally give up as play is happening.  They forget how to play hard, and so give up.

I know you know this, better and in more concrete detail than I.  We’re surely not really disagreeing here.

No disagreement, is was a more match succinct way of putting it. We have not played that well in a 15 minute spell and lost 4 nil before.    It was beyond odd

I think that Frank is a good manager and decent honest and passionate person. That comes across in spades. If he had been employed at the beginning of the season when confidence wasn’t battered and no injuries we might have done better with the type of football that Frank would want to play. But with this squad no chance.

But he’s come in with confidence knackered on our worst run of form ever, and a terrible squad and just doesn’t know what to do. You can see it on his face on the sidelines and in the press conferences. He’s already looking crumpled and overburdened. I think he though he’d come in and things would turn around and come off, because he’s a positive guy and because they nearly always have in his life and career, because he’s a talented hardworking bloke. I also think he’s also struggling because he didn’t expect to be and is not used to working in a dysfunctional organisation with a bunch of lags, softies, nutters and burn outs. I think he’ll likely scrape us out of this mess by luck more than judgement, and I love Frank, but he’s not the right tool for this current job sadly.

Unfortunately, we needed an Allardyce like figure to harden the team up, but he’s already been used up by us and even he would have struggled with this lot.

Said it before and I’ll say it again: something badly wrong at Goodison that has infected the entire structure. Independent review into how the club is run, top to bottom changes at all levels. A hard reset to the culture and get in a manager that fits the history and style of Everton. It would be a painful expensive and difficult process, but we couldn’t be in a much worse position than now.

2 hours ago, Shukes said:

To be fair he is still picking up more points than previous managers isn’t he?

I don’t think we have fallen down since he has came in, we were already there and plummeting fast. He hasn’t steadied the ship, but he has shown signs that we can pick up points.

And for now, that’s all we need. We don’t have enough points on the board to spend time implementing systems. We can do that in pre season, or when we are safe.

Im not sure, it doesnt feel like it! 

IMO systems come in from day one. Perfect them over time but day one they need to be drilled. These lot are all over the place. 

1 minute ago, patto said:

I know they were all awful but I just don’t know what Lampard see’s in Jon jo he’s been subbed twice now at half time he’s a poor right back playing left back. 
it just baffles me 

Just think how bad the others must be!

47 minutes ago, badaids said:

also think he’s also struggling because he didn’t expect to be and is not used to working in a dysfunctional organisation with a bunch of lags, softies, nutters and burn outs. I think he’ll likely scrape us out of this mess by luck more than judgement, and I love Frank, but he’s not the right tool for this current job sadly.

I agree and disagree I have been looking at franks record and there has not been massive consistency to say good or bad. He got results at Chelsea with a very good squad he was just above average at derby. I am not sure you can say any of his other managerial roles have been functional to say we are dysfunctional. But I do agree he is the wrong tool for this I have given up naming who would be a good manager for us because at this point we have tried all different types and given them money to achieve and none have. I agree with other people that the managers name is getting more and more irrelevant with this current squad who for me aren't up to it and a broad who throw money at the problem all the time.

I think the only chance we have is to have a moyes based approach in keeping the manager for 5 years and give him what you can to support him to build an ethos a style of playing etc. I wanted that to be Ancelotti but it was obvious a bigger club would take him.  To quote an old chat up line we need Mr Right we keep trying to get Mr Right Now.

A familiar tale in an away game for us.

We started brilliantly and could have easily found ourselves getting a goal, or even two, such was our dominance. The turning point was Townsend getting injured and needing treatment for a lengthy period of time. It wasn't him going off that was the problem, it was the time taken to assess him etc completely disrupted our momentum. Then we couldn't get back into a flow, Palace scored and then you could see the confidence seep out of our play, never to be seen again.

Our fragility is a huge problem.

Lampard said our players dont have the bollocks….. and that the tactics were fine as the first 15 minutes showed this.

well done frank.   Those bunch of cowards will no doubt be whattsapping and moaning that you said mean things about them…. But let them.   Make sure you have daily meetings with new dof and demand progress reports on how you are gonna turf half the pricks out and the hungry ambitious replacements you have lined up. 

8 hours ago, Shukes said:

When did it work? 
We can keep blaming managers. But if you give a cleaner a chisel and hammer…. They won’t just turn into a carpenter.

Same as our players. You can’t give them a few training sessions and expect them to turn into footballers.

7 hours ago, RPG said:

Frank needs to tell the players that its a back four from here on in, tell each player which place in the back four is their prime position and then drill the hell out of them on the training pitch. Just like Moyes did. It might not be pretty but if it keeps us up, we can then review in the summer.

2 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Lampard said our players dont have the bollocks….. and that the tactics were fine as the first 15 minutes showed this.

well done frank.   Those bunch of cowards will no doubt be whattsapping and moaning that you said mean things about them…. But let them.   Make sure you have daily meetings with new dof and demand progress reports on how you are gonna turf half the pricks out and the hungry ambitious replacements you have lined up. 

Agree wholeheartedly with all of this. I think Frank is the man to lead us for several years, and I never thought that would be the case. Imagine being in his shoes right now. We were destroying palace for 15 mins and then  Keane turns into a parking cone again and we concede. Game over. There is no coaching for what our players do. We had Carlo fucking Ancelotti for Christ’s sake. This lot are an embarrassment. 

Another thing about this "we did it for 15 mins we could have done it for 90" bollocks is that its just not how football works. 

Walk across Stanley Park and watch Liverpool. They go at teams hard early but then they lull. Yes they are still ready to pounce on teams but they arent playing full throttle for 90 minutes week after week. 

That second goal simply comes from Zaha breaking free from Seamus on the half way line. Its something that will happen. Any tactic that fails so spectacularly as ours did from there is not a tactic that is working well. The 3rd (flukey finish aside) and 4th goal are similar. They don't happen in an organised side. Elise even gave us a warning before the 3rd.

I dont think there are any doubts that the players let themselves down on the ball. We can barely pass to a teammate but we can't ship goals like we did today every time the ball turnsover or something doesn't immediately go to plan. 

While I am at it, this wing back experiment, especially with a right footer playing on the left has to stop. Its not working, the players dont know how to play it and there is no tactical advantage to us to do it. 

9 hours ago, Bailey said:

Another thing about this "we did it for 15 mins we could have done it for 90" bollocks is that its just not how football works. 

Walk across Stanley Park and watch Liverpool. They go at teams hard early but then they lull. Yes they are still ready to pounce on teams but they arent playing full throttle for 90 minutes week after week. 

That second goal simply comes from Zaha breaking free from Seamus on the half way line. Its something that will happen. Any tactic that fails so spectacularly as ours did from there is not a tactic that is working well. The 3rd (flukey finish aside) and 4th goal are similar. They don't happen in an organised side. Elise even gave us a warning before the 3rd.

I dont think there are any doubts that the players let themselves down on the ball. We can barely pass to a teammate but we can't ship goals like we did today every time the ball turnsover or something doesn't immediately go to plan. 

While I am at it, this wing back experiment, especially with a right footer playing on the left has to stop. Its not working, the players dont know how to play it and there is no tactical advantage to us to do it. 

Come on Bailey… we know you are the forums resident football scholar but Ancelotti had pointed this out, Rafa now Lampard.   The players are the issue.  I appreciate you have your own mind as we all have but have you watched lampards second interview?

Lampards isn’t saying we need to go full throttle for 90 minutes and you clearly know this.  He is calling out players not doing the basics to accompany the tactics, why did Richarlison back heel it to their man when he had 2 passes on. Why didn’t the players identify 4 were in the queue vs their 3 for the corner. Why didn’t Gomes or doucoure track their men for the second?  It’s not stuff that requires UEFA pro licence levels of tactical understanding- these players have forgotten more than you or I will ever know about what to do in certain situations - the manager moreso.  They just don’t do it.

players losing focus/effort at various times is what leads to losses.   It’s not cos we aren’t tear arsing around the pitch- footballing fundamentals are ditched by professional footballers cos they don’t have 38000 fans screaming at them.?

if tactics don’t work or aren’t going to work it’s pretty evident early doors.  The reality is if you have a collective drop of 20 percent per player at one moment - you are two players down and that’s why we often look like we have less men on the pitch. 

11 minutes ago, patto said:

Surely we must go ultra defensive away from home 5 4 1 and play on the break.

I'm resigned to the fact we can't win all our home games but we need to win at least 3 I think 10 points would see us safe possible draw or beat Burnley away.

do you trust us to concentrate on defending cos I dont - but I dont see any other option myself.

39 minutes ago, Hafnia said:

do you trust us to concentrate on defending cos I dont - but I dont see any other option myself.

I simply don’t see us winning on attack away from home so think we need to be defensive I don’t see us beating watford. 

13 hours ago, Hafnia said:

Come on Bailey… we know you are the forums resident football scholar but Ancelotti had pointed this out, Rafa now Lampard.   The players are the issue.  I appreciate you have your own mind as we all have but have you watched lampards second interview?

Lampards isn’t saying we need to go full throttle for 90 minutes and you clearly know this.  He is calling out players not doing the basics to accompany the tactics, why did Richarlison back heel it to their man when he had 2 passes on. Why didn’t the players identify 4 were in the queue vs their 3 for the corner. Why didn’t Gomes or doucoure track their men for the second?  It’s not stuff that requires UEFA pro licence levels of tactical understanding- these players have forgotten more than you or I will ever know about what to do in certain situations - the manager moreso.  They just don’t do it.

players losing focus/effort at various times is what leads to losses.   It’s not cos we aren’t tear arsing around the pitch- footballing fundamentals are ditched by professional footballers cos they don’t have 38000 fans screaming at them.?

if tactics don’t work or aren’t going to work it’s pretty evident early doors.  The reality is if you have a collective drop of 20 percent per player at one moment - you are two players down and that’s why we often look like we have less men on the pitch. 

Ancellotti signed Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey

Rafa signed Gray, Townsend, Mykolenko, Patterson, Begovic, El Ghazi, Lonergan and Rondon.

Lampard has signed Alli and VDB.

That is 13 players from the current squad of 28 man squad. Gordon and Branthwaite have been promoted by the respective managers so that means half of the first team squad are "their" players.

How many more players do these 3 managers needs to have signed before they get it right? 

Why do you believe all the players are dropping their levels then? 

In respect of the corner, they have all been given their jobs by the coaching staff and there isnt a spare man. We played a mix of man and zonal marking. The players did what they were asked to do.

The other stuff is football. Players make bad decisions. You watch a decent side and they are drilled. They know what to do when things arent going to plan. Ours havent got a clue. In my opinion they look unsure of what they are meant to be doing in what situation and I think that was very evident on Sunday with 3 of the 4 goals. We got pulled apart by a disciplined Palace side who systematically broke us down and neither the players nor the coaching staff had an answer. 

This isnt a first either, its happened in pretty much every game. We have started well, but teams have worked us out pretty quickly and soon as they beat that press, they get right into the heart of the defence. 

That is also where Chelsea struggled under Lampard, with far superior players. No width and easy to cut through after that initial press. 

27 minutes ago, Bailey said:

Ancellotti signed Allan, Doucoure, Godfrey

Rafa signed Gray, Townsend, Mykolenko, Patterson, Begovic, El Ghazi, Lonergan and Rondon.

Lampard has signed Alli and VDB.

That is 13 players from the current squad of 28 man squad. Gordon and Branthwaite have been promoted by the respective managers so that means half of the first team squad are "their" players.

How many more players do these 3 managers needs to have signed before they get it right? 

Why do you believe all the players are dropping their levels then? 

In respect of the corner, they have all been given their jobs by the coaching staff and there isnt a spare man. We played a mix of man and zonal marking. The players did what they were asked to do.

The other stuff is football. Players make bad decisions. You watch a decent side and they are drilled. They know what to do when things arent going to plan. Ours havent got a clue. In my opinion they look unsure of what they are meant to be doing in what situation and I think that was very evident on Sunday with 3 of the 4 goals. We got pulled apart by a disciplined Palace side who systematically broke us down and neither the players nor the coaching staff had an answer. 

This isnt a first either, its happened in pretty much every game. We have started well, but teams have worked us out pretty quickly and soon as they beat that press, they get right into the heart of the defence. 

That is also where Chelsea struggled under Lampard, with far superior players. No width and easy to cut through after that initial press. 

so Coleman, Holgate and Keane were here for all 3 managers…… explains a lot doesn’t it. That’s our defence really isn’t it? That’s a shit argument….. a list of predominantly inadequate and inappropriate transfers is somehow an argument that “we should be seeing a change”….. you list el ghazi, mykolenko, rondon? Wtf man. 

How do you know that they were told stick with 3 no matter what? You don’t. You are stating things as fact based on what you see, based on lampard saying he is going to use the next 11 days to drill them on set pieces it’s clear they aren’t following instructions.  He repeated that the players have not stuck to task on several occasions now, ancelotti the same.  Coming out with pseudo hipster tactics talk isn’t washing Bailey and Lampard is getting the regurgitated criticisms we seen from his last season at Chelsea. All very lazy stuff.  Did we mark the same for the first corner that the player tried to score from? 

we have shit players and the lack of leadership is exhausting.  Gordon is starting to look exasperated and he will be going down the Davies route before long due to being a young player who loses out on learning from better players because he is actually being used to carry or replace them. 

Lampard had 2 days to get players in….. he highlighted the concerns in the centre and tried to get gana and a centre half but didn’t have time. 

On 21/03/2022 at 23:22, Hafnia said:

so Coleman, Holgate and Keane were here for all 3 managers…… explains a lot doesn’t it. That’s our defence really isn’t it? That’s a shit argument….. a list of predominantly inadequate and inappropriate transfers is somehow an argument that “we should be seeing a change”….. you list el ghazi, mykolenko, rondon? Wtf man. 

How do you know that they were told stick with 3 no matter what? You don’t. You are stating things as fact based on what you see, based on lampard saying he is going to use the next 11 days to drill them on set pieces it’s clear they aren’t following instructions.  He repeated that the players have not stuck to task on several occasions now, ancelotti the same.  Coming out with pseudo hipster tactics talk isn’t washing Bailey and Lampard is getting the regurgitated criticisms we seen from his last season at Chelsea. All very lazy stuff.  Did we mark the same for the first corner that the player tried to score from? 

we have shit players and the lack of leadership is exhausting.  Gordon is starting to look exasperated and he will be going down the Davies route before long due to being a young player who loses out on learning from better players because he is actually being used to carry or replace them. 

Lampard had 2 days to get players in….. he highlighted the concerns in the centre and tried to get gana and a centre half but didn’t have time. 

You are going around the houses again Haf. 

You said three managers have moaned about how bad the players are yet 50% of the squad have been brought in/through by those 3 managers, yet things are actually getting worse rather than better.

3 managers have had the chance to replace those 3 players and they haven't managed it. I am not using that as something to beat Lampard with, more so your argument of "these players are rotten and have had X managers sacked". 

Its common sense about the corner. If you want to mark an extra man, which zonal defender do you take and which zone do you leave unmarked? It just doesnt happen. 

Ah yep how lazy of me to look at what a manager has done before and comparing that to what he is doing now! I assume that means you don't agree? 

Im not arguing that Lampard was up against it in getting players in, its hard enough for the whole window, let alone 2 days. However the two he identified and pretty much hand selected are two players who fall exactly into the category you dislike. Alli looks and plays like he couldn't give two fucks. Donny is not the type of character to make a difference either.

You also don't know who he tried to get in, no matter how much you try and present it as fact.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

You said three managers have moaned about how bad the players are yet 50% of the squad have been brought in/through by those 3 managers, yet things are actually getting worse rather than better.

3 managers have had the chance to replace those 3 players and they haven't managed it. I am not using that as something to beat Lampard with, more so your argument of "these players are rotten and have had X managers sacked". 

Its common sense about the corner. If you want to mark an extra man, which zonal defender do you take and which zone do you leave unmarked? It just doesnt happen. 

Ah yep how lazy of me to look at what a manager has done before and comparing that to what he is doing now! I assume that means you don't agree? 

Im not arguing that Lampard was up against it in getting players in, its hard enough for the whole window, let alone 2 days. However the two he identified and pretty much hand selected are two players who fall exactly into the category you dislike. Alli looks and plays like he couldn't give two fucks. Donny is not the type of character to make a difference either.

You also don't know who he tried to get in, no matter how much you try and present it as fact.

So to cut a long story short based on this reply and the other…. Only one of us can attempt to present opinions/stories as fact? Maybe I should try and dress up my posts like I am Sol Campbell trying to get a coaching job.

8 hours ago, Bailey said:

The biggest problem is constantly changing managers, a manager comes in buys a couple of decent players for how he wants to try and implement his tactics going forward, that’s just the start of a plan, in reality he needs 5,6 or 7 new first team faces, but what happens is the board and the fans want success in 6 months to a year, don’t give them the time required and he’s axed. Then the next man comes in doesn’t like the players he’s inherited because they’re not a good fit for his plan, buys a couple of players then gets the bullet early on in his contract, and so it repeats, and before you know it you have a expensive group of players but you don’t have a team. 

4 hours ago, Palfy said:

The biggest problem is constantly changing managers, a manager comes in buys a couple of decent players for how he wants to try and implement his tactics going forward, that’s just the start of a plan, in reality he needs 5,6 or 7 new first team faces, but what happens is the board and the fans want success in 6 months to a year, don’t give them the time required and he’s axed. Then the next man comes in doesn’t like the players he’s inherited because they’re not a good fit for his plan, buys a couple of players then gets the bullet early on in his contract, and so it repeats, and before you know it you have a expensive group of players but you don’t have a team. 

This is exactly the issue I'm talking about..... 3 managers have moaned about the players but because we have 50% that are supposedly newish recruits it invalidates the argument that these players have let the managers down?

It doesn't invalidate it in the slightest.  They represent a culture that they choose to not change for the better..... pick up wages and go through motions and not dig each other out constructively - just point finger when we concede.

We can go way back to the Eto fiasco, Mirallas stealing the ball off Baines and players like Lukaku telling the media how Martinez should be setting up.  Quite a pivotal points IMO.  Where are these players now?  Most either off elsewhere or retired or whatever....  the only ones remaining from that squad are Holgate and Coleman.

Holgate and Coleman IMO are 2 problem players, 1 because they are not good enough and 2 because they should be leaders.

Lets just say this - Coleman is supposed to be our captain, leader blah blah blah......... He has cupped his ears to fans cos he scored a goal after playing garbage, he argued with fans who were questioning players attitudes on the pitch and then when we scored a goal he gave it the big one.... only to disappear when the joy was short lived.  Cant recall the specific game but happy to be put straight on that.

That's our captain?  -  the fans have a bloody good right to question the attitude and application and all he does is try and score points or give "must do better, take it on the chin, we go again" interviews.  We wonder why the culture is so piss poor.  These players are laughing at us.

Here's the most recent news item relating to DCL....... 

https://hypebeast.com/2022/3/dominic-calvert-lewin-braun-series-7-style-defined

6 hours ago, Hafnia said:

This is exactly the issue I'm talking about..... 3 managers have moaned about the players but because we have 50% that are supposedly newish recruits it invalidates the argument that these players have let the managers down?

It doesn't invalidate it in the slightest.  They represent a culture that they choose to not change for the better..... pick up wages and go through motions and not dig each other out constructively - just point finger when we concede.

We can go way back to the Eto fiasco, Mirallas stealing the ball off Baines and players like Lukaku telling the media how Martinez should be setting up.  Quite a pivotal points IMO.  Where are these players now?  Most either off elsewhere or retired or whatever....  the only ones remaining from that squad are Holgate and Coleman.

Holgate and Coleman IMO are 2 problem players, 1 because they are not good enough and 2 because they should be leaders.

Lets just say this - Coleman is supposed to be our captain, leader blah blah blah......... He has cupped his ears to fans cos he scored a goal after playing garbage, he argued with fans who were questioning players attitudes on the pitch and then when we scored a goal he gave it the big one.... only to disappear when the joy was short lived.  Cant recall the specific game but happy to be put straight on that.

That's our captain?  -  the fans have a bloody good right to question the attitude and application and all he does is try and score points or give "must do better, take it on the chin, we go again" interviews.  We wonder why the culture is so piss poor.  These players are laughing at us.

Here's the most recent news item relating to DCL....... 

https://hypebeast.com/2022/3/dominic-calvert-lewin-braun-series-7-style-defined

No doubt scripted for him but it's his name out there. I'd suspect it's no wonder he's not fully focused.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

No doubt scripted for him but it's his name out there. I'd suspect it's no wonder he's not fully focused.

It’s a piss take.  Barely played and when he has he’s looked half arsed, yet here he is with his team looking like they are gonna drop out the league and he’s dressed up like twiggy. 

pisses me off. Was a massive fan of this lad and it just seems he’s gone down the lingaard rashford route