IGNORED

Maxwel Cornet

• 1 month later...

How many Burnley players are we going to be linked with? I hope this is shitty journalism rather than real strategy. How the fuck is focusing our transfer strategy on taking  players from a team we barely beat in a relegation battle last season suddenly going to mean we are back in the upper echelons of the league next year. Don't get it. 

20 minutes ago, Wall Writer said:

How many Burnley players are we going to be linked with? I hope this is shitty journalism rather than real strategy. How the fuck is focusing our transfer strategy on taking  players from a team we barely beat in a relegation battle last season suddenly going to mean we are back in the upper echelons of the league next year. Don't get it. 

We are not going to be in the upper echelons next season. Top 12 would be good.

19 minutes ago, London Blue said:

We are not going to be in the upper echelons next season. Top 12 would be good.

I realise my phrasing may have sounded 'over-ambitious', and understand my wording may not be accurate in this regard, but in a sarcastic way, I was actually referring the the upper half of the table. Which by the way, if this is not the minimum we are aiming for, then we have really lost our way as a club.

21 minutes ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I bet Man Utd fans are glad their scouts never had that attitude when they signed Roy Keane from relegated Notts Forrest or The Shite signing Robertson 

There is a long list of quality players that were relegated, if their team goes down it doesn’t suddenly make them bad players

We are on a tight budget and prising players away from relegated sides is a lot easier/cheaper than getting them from Premiership rivals

I won't disagree with you, and if we had been relegated, I'm sure the vultures would have been in for a lot of our players. However, in relegated teams, there are usually one or two diamonds among the zirconia. My concern is that we seem to be getting linked with a lot of their players - we already have one (let's assume one of the diamonds) - so why are we going back for more?

I get what you're saying about Roy Keane for example, but they weren't also in for Scott Gemmill and Nigel Clough (for example).

2 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

Pickford came from a delegated team, Ramsdale also to Arsenal, a team gets relegated not individual players, the skill is picking the diamonds, the two I’ve mentioned fall in to that catagory.

2 hours ago, Wall Writer said:

I realise my phrasing may have sounded 'over-ambitious', and understand my wording may not be accurate in this regard, but in a sarcastic way, I was actually referring the the upper half of the table. Which by the way, if this is not the minimum we are aiming for, then we have really lost our way as a club.

I won't disagree with you, and if we had been relegated, I'm sure the vultures would have been in for a lot of our players. However, in relegated teams, there are usually one or two diamonds among the zirconia. My concern is that we seem to be getting linked with a lot of their players - we already have one (let's assume one of the diamonds) - so why are we going back for more?

I get what you're saying about Roy Keane for example, but they weren't also in for Scott Gemmill and Nigel Clough (for example).

Yes.

https://lastwordonsports.com/football/2020/05/19/three-hidden-gems-in-the-olympique-lyonnais-side-who-could-be-european-footballs-next-super-stars/

interesting comments in this article from 2 years ago, and since then he has not done to shabby at Burnley in his Premier League debut. £17.5M does not sound unreasonable. for a player would can potentially cover as a striker or a LB!!!

Maxwel Cornet is a perfect winger, who can play on either of the two flanks. He is one of the players around whom manager Rudi Garcia has been trying to build the squad since the latter’s appointment at the beginning of the season.

Cornet has successfully managed to give his fellow team-mate Bertrand Traore a run for his money in the training. The right-wing spot is usually contested by the two young players week-in week-out.

Cornet is an amazing dribbler of the ball who can send pin-point crosses from the flanks. He is trying out on becoming a full-back recently due to a major influence of Barcelona’s Jordi Alba, on his playing style.

The 23-year-old has four goals and three assists in 22 games for Olympique Lyonnais  this season. There is no doubt that he can see an exponential rise in his assists tally if he can complete his switch to a wing-back role for his team.

Cornet might be a suitable candidate for any of the top European sides. He is physically strong. He can dribble past opponents. And most importantly, he is defensively apt as he tracks back to mark the opponent attackers.