IGNORED

The death of Queen Elizabeth II

dunlopp9987

22 minutes ago, MikeO said:

I'll be honest Palf mate, personally I think those closest to crossing the line were those who (yourself included) thought it OK to call another member evil.

I know several members outside of TT, including Steve and yourself, and I'm not going to get into what he said; he's more than capable of defending his own corner.

But I can tell you that the man is the very antithesis of evil; put politics/religion/nationalism/royalism (or lack of) to one side, he's been a great friend to me for many years now and is one of the good guys.

I respect your honesty and opinion Mike, and also agree with your that Steve isn’t an evil man what I said or was trying to imply was that the post was evil. Matt posted his view of evil which was pretty much the same as mine, but we didn’t agree on harmful. I read that evil was something that was harmful, wicked or immoral, and I still believe his post showed that, which is not saying he is a evil but he made an evil post based on the definition supplied by Goggle. 

10 minutes ago, Palfy said:

I respect your honesty and opinion Mike, and also agree with your that Steve isn’t an evil man what I said or was trying to imply was that the post was evil. Matt posted his view of evil which was pretty much the same as mine, but we didn’t agree on harmful. I read that evil was something that was harmful, wicked or immoral, and I still believe his post showed that, which is not saying he is a evil but he made an evil post based on the definition supplied by Goggle. 

I didn't post my view of evil, I shared a definition. I find the concept of calling Steve, or his post, evil ridiculous and, quite frankly, offensive. 🖖

7 minutes ago, Matt said:

I didn't post my view of evil, I shared a definition. I find the concept of calling Steve, or his post, evil ridiculous and, quite frankly, offensive. 🖖

You are entitled to that opinion as I am mine which I clarified and used the same definition as yourself.  

I watched pretty much all of the funeral today.  The 10 grenadier guards who were the team who carried the coffin throughout were absolutely phenomenal.

Anyone who has had the extremely sad but immense privilege of carrying a coffin will know how tough it is.   They had to do it with a lead lined casket weighing approximately 300kg.   The pressure they would have experienced was insane, those young lads families must be so proud. 

Enjoy a few beers tonight boys, I would buy you a pint each if I could. 

On 11/09/2022 at 04:00, Cornish Steve said:

In principle, I have no issue with a monarch, and such an institution can provide stability and unique sense of national identity.

It's clear the queen was a very hard worker and had a strong sense of responsibility.

On 13/09/2022 at 12:22, Cornish Steve said:

She was a decent sort and very hard-working. I made clear my opinion on that earlier.

My opinion has not changed.

On 13/09/2022 at 23:07, Cornish Steve said:

By the way, did you know that if anyone dies in Cornwall without a will, everything they own passes automatically to the Duke of Cornwall?

I'd understood this to be the case for years. Sometimes we must be precise with our wording, though: I should have written "without a will or heirs". Apologies if others thought I was being deliberately deceptive: That wasn't the case. Instead, I was imprecise and as a result misleading. Yes, the duke has in recent years donated these funds to charity, but that could change on a whim.

No big deal to me that some went OTT in response to my comments. I've done the same when arguing passionately for something, so I can hardly complain. Anyway, as Mike wrote, we know some people behind the scenes and can vouch that the forums are frequented by good people.

My middle name is Tactless, and I should have waited a bit before expressing my opinions on the Royals, so apologies for riling some people up when the pain of the queen's death was still raw.

30 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

My opinion has not changed.

I'd understood this to be the case for years. Sometimes we must be precise with our wording, though: I should have written "with a will or heirs". Apologies if others thought I was being deliberately deceptive: That wasn't the case. Instead, I was imprecise and as a result misleading. Yes, the duke has in recent years donated these funds to charity, but that could change on a whim.

No big deal to me that some went OTT in response to my comments. I've done the same when arguing passionately for something, so I can hardly complain. Anyway, as Mike wrote, we know some people behind the scenes and can vouch that the forums are frequently by good people.

My middle name is Tactless, and I should have waited a bit before expressing my opinions on the Royals, so apologies for riling some people up when the pain of the queen's death was still raw.

Fair play Steve. I’ve no doubts whatsoever you are a good bloke. 👍

The Queen’s funeral was an estimated 5.1 Billion people world wide, Diana’s was estimated to be 2.5 Billion, and Mandela’s was estimated to be 1 Billion. Now I’m not for one minute trying to suggest that Queen is any better or any worse than the other two, or that everyone of those estimated viewers for all three watched because of their love and respect for those particular people. But for me whether you are a Royalist or a Republican that is proof that the pageantry of our Royal family is a spectacle that world loves and sets us apart from any other nation in the world. After the events of the last ten days we should be proud of our Royal family of what it means to this country and what it means to the world it’s our biggest export not in money terms, but in the way Britain is admired and respected by more than fifty percent of the world’s population, even if the Monarchy contributes nothing to state ( which it does ) then the punitive amount it costs each person a year shouldn’t even be a consideration when you what they do for this country alone, they have once again put the Great back into Britain with a world clamouring to be part of our spectacular Regal pageantry. And the icing on the cake in all of this was that the Queen was such a shining example to us all and was respected not just here but all over the world. And just for a minute consider the consequences of having a President Johnson as your head of State, it was bad enough having him as PM for a few years. 

7 hours ago, RPG said:

Your 'apology' is accepted as far as it goes Steve but you are obviously educated and erudite and I am therefore still firmly of the opinion that you were not 'imprecise' with your words at all. Quite the contrary, in fact. I remain totally convinced that you made a pre meditated decision to try to wilfully deceive your fellow Evertonians and my opinion will never change on that matter. Neither did we go 'OTT' in our responses to your wilful deception attempt - as your subsequent deflection attempt within your 'apology' tries to claim. You got no more than you deserved as this was not only about being pro or anti monarchy but just as much about not trying to wilfully deceive your fellow Evertonians.

As 'apologies' go, Steve, yours is therefore weak, incomplete, smacks of insincerity, fails to apologise for the real issue (wilful deception) and reads like a guilty politician's last, futile attempt at trying to wriggle off the Westminster hook. A straightforward 'mea culpe' (without all the attempted caveats and exclusions) would have put things right but you have chosen not to do that and you have therefore missed the one opportunity you had left to recover at least some of the lost respect.

However, it's clearly the best apology you are willing to provide, able to provide, or have the moral intestinal fortitude to provide, so I guess we draw a line and move on.

Diplomatic relations restored.

God Save The King.

That’s enough. Ffs. He kept off the forum to allow things to simmer, offered an apology, you had called him evil? Is he demanding an apology off you? Cos he’s not evil and frankly that’s an insult. 

seriously you have taken this way too far. 

2 minutes ago, RPG said:

No, I haven't. Steve offered a conditional apology littered with caveats and exemptions. I have therefore conditionally accepted his apology. Don't try to tell me what's enough please Haf. I will do that for myself without taking any notice of you. It's over as far as I am concerned (as per my post on the matter) and was over as soon as I made the post but I stand by every word. I'm sure if Steve wants to take it up further with me he will but my comments stand.

I’ll make my opinion on it and stand by it myself thanks.  He’s made his point, we made ours.  You can’t just accept the apology and move on, it has to come with little bits and barbs and I do not like how this has turned out one bit. 

think it’s time to close the thread myself, the Queen got the send off she deserved and hopefully those who watched appreciated the organisation, bravery, stoicism, tradition. 

This is getting silly now. Steve has said his piece and drawn a line under it, RPG has responded to Steve and has drawn a line under it, their position’s may differ but that was always going to be the case, and they both accept that and have still drawn a line under it, because that is the best way forward. I was guilty of using the word evil when referring to Steve’s post, I have reflected on that and made my apologies to Steve, and he was wonderful in his response to my message which for me should remain private to us unless agreed otherwise. 

Haf you don’t need to wield your sword in defending Steve, Steve is more than capable of defending himself if he wishes to, remember the pen is mightier than sword and Steve has more ink in his pen than most on here, and I include myself with that comment. So if RPG and yourself now draw a line under your squabble surrounding this matter we should all be able to forgive and forget. That’s unless of course Matt doesn’t come storming in 2 days later like a 6 year old, who has had a month’s worth of E numbers in one hour, threatening to be head everyone and everything in sight in his own form of democracy, and before I feel the need to go into hiding Matt that was very much said as an endearing joke 😂

9 hours ago, RPG said:

BBC reporting that 5.1 billion people (that is over 63% of the world's entire population) watched The Queen's funeral. The largest single viewing figure for any event on the planet, ever!

Who was it that was asking how much value there really was in our Royal Family a few posts ago?

https://www.trendsmap.com/twitter/tweet/1571921063428096000

Oh. Did I miss it?

3 hours ago, Palfy said:

The Queen’s funeral was an estimated 5.1 Billion people world wide, Diana’s was estimated to be 2.5 Billion, and Mandela’s was estimated to be 1 Billion. Now I’m not for one minute trying to suggest that Queen is any better or any worse than the other two, or that everyone of those estimated viewers for all three watched because of their love and respect for those particular people. But for me whether you are a Royalist or a Republican that is proof that the pageantry of our Royal family is a spectacle that world loves and sets us apart from any other nation in the world. After the events of the last ten days we should be proud of our Royal family of what it means to this country and what it means to the world it’s our biggest export not in money terms, but in the way Britain is admired and respected by more than fifty percent of the world’s population, even if the Monarchy contributes nothing to state ( which it does ) then the punitive amount it costs each person a year shouldn’t even be a consideration when you what they do for this country alone, they have once again put the Great back into Britain with a world clamouring to be part of our spectacular Regal pageantry. And the icing on the cake in all of this was that the Queen was such a shining example to us all and was respected not just here but all over the world. And just for a minute consider the consequences of having a President Johnson as your head of State, it was bad enough having him as PM for a few years. 

While I agree with your comments on pageantry - Britain knows how to put on a solemn spectacle - the term 'Great' has nothing to do with greatness. Great Britain identifies the largest island among the British Isles: It's a geographic term - rather like Greater Piddling and Little Piddling.

Caveat: While, strictly, residents of the Isle of Wight are not part of Great Britain and therefore should not represent GB in international tournaments, Great Britain has, in the minds of many, become a term synonymous with 'United Kingdom minus Northern Ireland'. This can be inferred from the passport of British citizens, which refers to the nation as 'United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'. Any misleading implication in the above paragraph is unintended and sincere apologies are extended to any residents of offshore isles: Isle of Wight, Scilly Isles, Skye, etc.

Apologies to residents of Lundy and other British Isles not listed in the above paragraph. Their absence from the list is in no way meant to imply they are "lesser" in stature than other isles - even if, geographically, that might be the case.

5 hours ago, Palfy said:

This is getting silly now. Steve has said his piece and drawn a line under it, RPG has responded to Steve and has drawn a line under it, their position’s may differ but that was always going to be the case, and they both accept that and have still drawn a line under it, because that is the best way forward. I was guilty of using the word evil when referring to Steve’s post, I have reflected on that and made my apologies to Steve, and he was wonderful in his response to my message which for me should remain private to us unless agreed otherwise. 

Haf you don’t need to wield your sword in defending Steve, Steve is more than capable of defending himself if he wishes to, remember the pen is mightier than sword and Steve has more ink in his pen than most on here, and I include myself with that comment. So if RPG and yourself now draw a line under your squabble surrounding this matter we should all be able to forgive and forget. That’s unless of course Matt doesn’t come storming in 2 days later like a 6 year old, who has had a month’s worth of E numbers in one hour, threatening to be head everyone and everything in sight in his own form of democracy, and before I feel the need to go into hiding Matt that was very much said as an endearing joke 😂

Since he mentioned it, so can I. Palfy sent me a very gracious note, confirming once again that he's a decent person. We all get passionate on these forums from time to time, but the human aspects - usually revealed behind the scenes - are what make them different. It's a community and, amazingly, people here care about one another.

17 hours ago, RPG said:

BBC reporting that 5.1 billion people (that is over 63% of the world's entire population) watched The Queen's funeral.

Or not...

"There’s no evidence the BBC reported a 5.1 billion audience"

https://fullfact.org/news/Queen-funeral-viewing-figures/

"SC CARTWRIGHT 😎" are not the BBC.

Do I accept that you simply made a mistake or conclude that you set out to mislead? I'll have to give it some thought.

I never quite understand the need for someone to apologise in a public forum, unless the previous comments were personal. 
It’s like apologising for an opinion, if you genuinely mean it then no need to apologise. Just agree to disagree. 
Asking for apologies is just weird to me. 

Governments, monarchies, football, music, people will disagree. No point in being upset by someone else’s take on it. 

Steve’s post about the monarchy is hardly going to cause major upset, and if it did then that’s unfortunate. An alternative point of view or alternative information, maybe better information, has been posted. Fine. The argument is now balanced. I don’t see why it would need to go any further. 

Can’t we all just agree that it’s sad that someone died and we all have different views on how to run a country? 

If it’s like this when the queen dies just imagine what it’ll be like if something happens to Kenwright!

• Matt locked this topic