IGNORED

The death of Queen Elizabeth II

dunlopp9987

10 minutes ago, dunlopp9987 said:

Surprised it's been this long and no one's posted about the news yet...

Most distressing thing for me is that Celebrity Masterchef won't now be on TV tonight.

Nothing against the lady, was hoping she'd outlive Charles to avoid his witch of a wife getting to be called queen, but there you go. 

7 minutes ago, MikeO said:

Most distressing thing for me is that Celebrity Masterchef won't now be on TV tonight.

Nothing against the lady, was hoping she'd outlive Charles to avoid his witch of a wife getting to be called queen, but there you go. 

BBC Football site has no football content apparently.

Impressive lady, but a stranger to me. Wish her family all the best though. 

56 minutes ago, Matt said:

Impressive lady, but a stranger to me. Wish her family all the best though. 

Absolutely.

I have a theory though; that she died six months ago, but because of all the money spent on jubilee celebrations they used look-alikes and holograms to carry it through before stage managing today.

Plausible.

Not a fan of the royal family at all, I just don’t think it’s justified in this day and age.

But I do recognise that she was a great woman and it’s a sad day when someone of that statute dies. 

She was Queen, she was a grandmother, she was a mother. 
I feel for her family at this moment and feel for all the people that worship the monarchy, even if I don’t myself. 
RIP and respect.

BBC 1 News Special.

BBC 2 News Special.

BBC 3 has been suspended. Please switch to BBC 1 for special news report.

BBC 4 has been suspended. Please switch to BBC 1 for special news report.

I get it BBC, I know what's happened, has the world really stopped turning outside Balmoral?

1 hour ago, Shukes said:

Not a fan of the royal family at all, I just don’t think it’s justified in this day and age.

Agreed. Completely anachronistic. We've now had Liz and Charles foist upon us in quick succession. Baffled as I am that 81,326 people actually saw anything in her, the thought that there will be those who see something in him beggars belief. Rule f'in Britannia.

12 minutes ago, Formby said:

Agreed. Completely anachronistic. We've now had Liz and Charles foist upon us in quick succession. Baffled as I am that 81,326 people actually saw anything in her, the thought that there will be those who see something in him beggars belief. Rule f'in Britannia.

If Charles had an ounce of sense he'd have made it very clear a long time ago that he was going to stand aside and let William succeed when his mum died. But that aside I agree, bin the lot of them.

Liz has been through such hard times I've heard all day long, must be so difficult to decide which of five castles you're going to spend your next month in.

Life's a bitch.

2 hours ago, MikeO said:

Absolutely.

I have a theory though; that she died six months ago, but because of all the money spent on jubilee celebrations they used look-alikes and holograms to carry it through before stage managing today.

Plausible.

She definitely didn't die this afternoon. My guess is last night. The Palace PR team always kicks in. King George V was famously put to sleep so he'd die on the right day.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

By the way, why is the term 'Queen Consort' being used? She's not a queen anything. Shouldn't she be something like the Duchess of Edinburgh?

It’s a really tough one to get your head around if you think about it Steve, but I’ll explain in simple terms. 

The term “Queen Consort” is being used because, and you might struggle with this bit, she is the Queen Consort. 😂

I know we’ve been talking about it in the longest thread but, regardless of how you feel about the Queen or the monarchy, I think this is a major point in history and deserves it’s own thread. 

I’ll move posts from the longest thread into here (they will likely be above this post). 

3 hours ago, StevO said:

I know we’ve been talking about it in the longest thread but, regardless of how you feel about the Queen or the monarchy, I think this is a major point in history and deserves it’s own thread. 

I’ll move posts from the longest thread into here (they will likely be above this post). 

This is sort of how I feel about it all. I think the whole notion of the monarchy over there is sort of ridiculous in this modern age, but I also can't help but be intrigued by it.

I'm sure it has to do with me being an absolute history nut, because the whole thing is so archaic. Maybe it just fascinates me because it feels like something that is so medieval. 

Anyhoops, I agree that despite how you feel about the monarchy, it is still a major world news story.

4 hours ago, StevO said:

I've seen this floated in a number of headlines and am curious as to what people imagine will change now. The Empire went before she took the throne, the Commonwealth is just a trading platform, regard for the royals has been in serious decline the last seventy years. I get the end of an era reflections, but not really how this changes Britain. Charles obviously wants things to continue as they were - more's the pity. The establishment will still be there; our political structure, too.

Brexit, the war in Ukraine, have been pivotal moments in European / world history - with tangible change felt by all. The death of the Queen, however sad for the family and those who were minded to buy Jubilee mugs and wave Union Jacks, does not feel like that to me. I am sure there will be those on the board who feel it does. I would be very interested to hear in what way.   

16 hours ago, Cornish Steve said:

One positive from all this is that I will no longer cringe when I hear the term Duchess of Cornwall: there's a new one.

By the way, why is the term 'Queen Consort' being used? She's not a queen anything. Shouldn't she be something like the Duchess of Edinburgh?

If I remember well, her being divorced and married to the now king poses a constitutional problem; she cannot become the Queen.  Remember that Edward VIII abdicated because of his wife.  Hence they created the 'Queen Consort' title to bypass this issue.  Can't remember the details but basically Queen Consort does not equal Queen = constitutional crisis avoided.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2005/mar/22/politics.monarchy

As a Turkish person, the only thing that connects me to her is/was my granpa. It's a well-known information in my family that he was deeply in love with her, even grandma was knowing it and mocking him as she was aware how delusional he was about Elizabeth. But yeah, my grandpa was thinking that she was so beautiful. Actually before getting married to my grandma, he tried to get on a ship, reach to UK by think that he may find a way to talk about his love to her. He was a good man, a very dedicated, good father/grandfather but a crazy man as well, in his own craziness. My grandpa passed away 14 years ago, and my dad's first reaction to the news yesterday was "Now my dad can have a real chance to go after her". 

I am neutral when it comes to my feelings about her. She is, though, definitely an important part of the modern day history. That's for sure. My condolences to those in this forum who cares about her and the royal family.

17 minutes ago, Sir McGiven said:

As a Turkish person, the only thing that connects me to her is/was my granpa. It's a well-known information in my family that he was deeply in love with her, even grandma was knowing it and mocking him as she was aware how delusional he was about Elizabeth. But yeah, my grandma was thinking that she was so beautiful. Actually before getting married to my grandma, he tried to get on a ship, react to UK by think that he may find a way to reach her and talk about his love to her. He was a good man, a very dedicated good father/grandfather but a crazy man as well, in his own craziness. My grandpa passed away 14 years ago, and my dad's first reaction to the news yesterday was "Now my dad can have a real chance to can go after her". 

I am neutral when it comes to my feelings about her. She is, though, definitely an important part of the modern day history. That's for sure. My condolences to those in this forum who cares about her and the royal family.

Great story👍

I have today been banned from a Facebook group (about a holiday destination) after they invited comments on Liz 2 but said anyone making disrespectful ones would be removed. I made no disrespectful comment, I simply questioned the authority of Facebook admins to police what was respectful and what wasn't.

Banned with no explanation, their loss😂

Good job we're not so trigger happy on here, we'd have no members left!

It’s amazing the warmth and love people from all round the world had for the queen, that can’t be denied whether you are royalist or not, her loss will be felt greater than Mandela’s even Putin has praised her, who would have thought that possible with what’s going on between Russia and the rest of the free world and particularly Britain. She was excellent in her service to this country she helped us prosper because she was so respected by the heads of state from probably every other country globally, were most of our PM’s and MP’s have been a hindrance to our country for more decades than I care to remember. I have been a royalist all my life and will remain so if Charles can carry on the work she did for this country with the diligence and respect she showed her whole life.