IGNORED

Everton squad for 2023/24

Now the pressure is off, we must look coolly and critically at our squad. I don't believe in wholesale changes, but there are clear and obvious needs.

Manager: I'd keep Sean Dyche because he did the job he was asked to do - but so did Frank Lampard last season. We do need managerial stability, though, so give him the opportunity.

Goalkeeper: Pickford had a fabulous season and saved us so many points. Now is when he's at peak value, though, if we want to be financially hard-nosed. As someone else mentioned a few weeks ago, I'd take Henderson and a boatload of cash from United if it was offered.

Defence: It really is time for Seamus to retire and for Patterson to step up. On the other side, Mykolenko is average and we could do better. In the centre, I'm a fan of Tarkowsky, although he does have his off moments. Mina is gone. Can Keane ever overcome his confidence deficit? I'd move him on. Coady played his role this year, but we should not activate his extension. Holgate needs shifting out. Godfrey is average, and we can do better. Dyche is probably the right guy to overhaul our defence.

Midfield: This is where we're the strongest. Garner will soon become a mainstay. Onana has been quite naive, but he will improve. Gana is past his prime but is still a valuable player. On the whole, I like Iwobi, but he is inconsistent and too often misses the final pass. O'Neill has been a pleasant surprise under Dyche and should only get better. Davies needs to be moved out, and we could do with someone who's a Gana-type player.

Up-front: This has been our Achilles Heel all season. How could our owners believe, for one moment, that we could sell Richarlison and Gordon and not replace them? Maupay does not fit in our team. Gray's been given more than enough opportunities and usually fails to deliver. Maybe Simms has potential (although I'm not convinced), and even more so does Cannon. DC-L is so important, but we need at least two strong forwards. This is where we must really invest.

Our bench is really weak, and we cannot go another season without having cover in every part of the field. Never again must we put ourselves in a situation where injury to one player (this season, it was DC-L) puts the team's success in doubt.

Absolutely in no way do we want to be selling any of our best players before the next season.

We have players that are surplus to requirements moving on with contracts ending. Keane & Holgate can go.

We’ve got to find 4/5 players at least and get those signings absolutely right.

Branthwaite, Cannon & Dobin coming back - hopefully they can deliver something for the squad.

Digne on loan is an option 

Current squad going into next season (minus the kids):

Pickford

Patterson
Coleman?
Mykolenko

Keane
Tarks
Holgate
Godfrey

Doucoure
Garner
Gana
Onana

McNeil
Gray
Iwobi

Simms
DCL
Maupay

From my reckoning, a must for us to sign: GK, RB, LB, CB, wide forward, striker.

It would be good to add some depth to that, but I'm not expecting much. I can see Coleman getting another year, although I still think we need to recruit another RB regardless.

I'd like to see a few experienced players come in.

Some contracts that are up:

Phil Jones

Johnny Evans

Veltman

Cresswell

Coufal

Serge Aurier

Soyuncu

Lerma

Adama traore

Zaha

Weghorst

I understand where you are coming from wanting experience and our financial constraints, but singings like Phil Jones are what got us into this situation.

I think we need to search the championship and hope a few of them hit. And we also need to hope our international network has improved - follow the Brighton model in unearthing talent. 

Thelwell - over to you. 

In squad number order (Keep):

Goalkeepers: Pickford, Begovic, Lonergan

Defenders: Tarkowski, Patterson, Godfrey, Coady, Branthwaite

Midfielders: McNeil, Gray, Doucoure, Iwobi, Gueye, Garner

Strikers: DCL

In squad number order (Sell/Release):

Holgate - Not good enough, horrendous attitude.

Keane - Actually stepped up to the plate under Dyche but is still below the standard we need. Makes me nervous as he's always on the cusp of dropping a clanger.

Onana - I'm actually a fan of him, which I know puts me in the minority. For the amount of money that's being talked about I'd let him go though as it would go a long way to replacing the amount of dross I want us to move on.

Mina - All the best you mad bastard.

Townsend - Not his fault that injuries have fucked up his season but I think he was on the verge of not being good enough for us before the knock. I don't think he'll come back and pull up any trees so would be happy to move on, even if that's us doing it on the cheap to free up wages.

Mykolenko - I really don't think he's good enough. Always looks nervous as fuck IMO and has a bit of a wobble in him defensively. Offers very little going forward too which is noticed more when we've been used to Baines and Digne doing just that - hoping we can convince someone on the continent to take him.

Maupay - One of the worst strikers we've ever had.

Coleman - Let him retire and move to the coaching staff if need be. Sentiment aside he's probably been past it for two years now and this latest injury won't have helped matters.

Davies - Shite.

Simms - Nothing against the lad, but if we can get a few quid from a Championship side to give us funds to sign an actual striker then I'll be happy seeing him go. I can't see him suddenly being ready to play 30 games next season which is exactly what we need. 

1 hour ago, Goodison Glory said:

I understand where you are coming from wanting experience and our financial constraints, but singings like Phil Jones are what got us into this situation.

I think we need to search the championship and hope a few of them hit. And we also need to hope our international network has improved - follow the Brighton model in unearthing talent. 

Thelwell - over to you. 

I think we need a mixture, and when I'm talking about experience I'm not necessarily talking about Phil Jones (although if he had a better injury record I would be open to him). I'd just like to see two or so experienced players come in and make sure that this season doesn't happen again.

1 hour ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Defenders: Tarkowski, Patterson, Godfrey, Coady 

Keane - Actually stepped up to the plate under Dyche but is still below the standard we need. Makes me nervous as he's always on the cusp of dropping a clanger.

Onana - I'm actually a fan of him, which I know puts me in the minority. For the amount of money that's being talked about I'd let him go though as it would go a long way to replacing the amount of dross I want us to move on.

Townsend - Not his fault that injuries have fucked up his season but I think he was on the verge of not being good enough for us before the knock. I don't think he'll come back and pull up any trees so would be happy to move on, even if that's us doing it on the cheap to free up wages.

Mykolenko - I really don't think he's good enough. Always looks nervous as fuck IMO and has a bit of a wobble in him defensively. Offers very little going forward too which is noticed more when we've been used to Baines and Digne doing just that - hoping we can convince someone on the continent to take him.

Coleman - Let him retire and move to the coaching staff if need be. Sentiment aside he's probably been past it for two years now and this latest injury won't have helped matters.

Davies - Shite.

Simms - Nothing against the lad, but if we can get a few quid from a Championship side to give us funds to sign an actual striker then I'll be happy seeing him go. I can't see him suddenly being ready to play 30 games next season which is exactly what we need. 

Keane I can understand, but I don't think we necessarily have to sell him.

Selling Onana, Simms and Mykolenko would just be silly, especially considering the numbers we need to bring in this summer and the fact that we just might not (a la the January window).

31 minutes ago, Aidan said:

Selling Onana, Simms and Mykolenko would just be silly, especially considering the numbers we need to bring in this summer and the fact that we just might not (a la the January window).

Pretty sure I saw reports of £60-70m for Onana which would be too much to turn down for me. I must stress that I really like him though, so would have no problems keeping him around if an offer like that didn't come around.

I understand the numbers to bring in are high already, but I'm sick of these relegation fights and whereas the board are the majority of the problem, keeping around players that aren't good enough (of which I'll include Mykolenko and potentially Simms) is no longer acceptable for me. 

Without sounding all Football Manager, do we use Simms to bring the price down for the Coventry lad perhaps? Do we sell Mykolenko to generate funds to sign an actual left back? I said it in January and I'll say it now, I'd snap Villa's hand off for Digne back.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Current squad going into next season (minus the kids):

Pickford

Patterson
Coleman?
Mykolenko

Keane
Tarks
Holgate
Godfrey

Doucoure
Garner
Gana
Onana

McNeil
Gray
Iwobi

Simms
DCL
Maupay

From my reckoning, a must for us to sign: GK, RB, LB, CB, wide forward, striker.

It would be good to add some depth to that, but I'm not expecting much. I can see Coleman getting another year, although I still think we need to recruit another RB regardless.

Some contracts that are up:

Phil Jones

Johnny Evans

Veltman

Cresswell

Coufal

Serge Aurier

Soyuncu

Lerma

Adama traore

Zaha

Weghorst

In

Branthwaite

1xCB

1x RB

1x LB

Cannon

1xCF

1xWinger

Out

Davies (contract)

Townsend (contract)

Mina (contract)

Deli (5 months approx. left on contract)

Coady (loan expired)

Moise Keane (Juventus should have to buy him this season)

Andre Gomes ( 1 season left on contract)

Keane

Holgate

Maupay

I want to see lots of young, up and coming purchases, not the established premier journeyman player purchases or the agent pushed ones that are the top 6 rejects. This is how Brentford / Brighton have built their success and its how we need to go about our transfer business.

3 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Pretty sure I saw reports of £60-70m for Onana which would be too much to turn down for me.

Sure if he commands that fee, I suppose everyone has their price, but what's the likelihood of someone spending that amount on him? I think he needs another season of development at least, for that kind of money.

11 hours ago, Zoo 2.0 said:

Defenders: Tarkowski, Patterson, Godfrey, Coady, Branthwaite

Davies - Shite.

I’m with you on Mykolenko, but I would say we keep him and bring someone else in as starter. I think his ceiling is a squad depth player. 

9 hours ago, Aidan said:

Phil Jones - Hahaha Nope.

Johnny Evans - Nope.

Veltman - If we want an over 30 RB then it has to be Coleman so nope.

Cresswell - Nope and a red.

Coufal - Nope.

Serge Aurier - Was a red card magnet at Spurs. Nope.

Soyuncu - Already has a new club I think.

Lerma - Decent but we need a striker, fullback, and center back before we address the midfield.

Adama traore - No end product so nope.

Zaha - Can find the net but wages way too high so very unlikely.

Weghorst - Didn't go well with Dyche before so unlikely.

Comments in italics.  Unsure if we need tons of experience, high wages, and short contracts.  Time to start thinking like a modern club and planning for the future with younger prospects.  Buying talent to pole vault us into the top 6 was the Morshiri led mistake that has us in the our current mess.

I watched the Leeds versus Spurs game, and both teams are poor. The only good player on the field, in my opinion, was Harry Kane, who is truly clinical. That's what we need: a clinical finisher. Sometimes, when a team is relegated, we might be able to pick up a player or two (as we did Tarkowski and McNeil), but I see no-one of note or of potential at Leeds.

As for the manager who's as good as Pep, it was so nice to see his team go down! For anyone who's read the Dalziel and Pascoe books of Reginald Hill, Crooked Sam is how I imagine the character Andy Dalziel to look. :)

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

Sure if he commands that fee, I suppose everyone has their price, but what's the likelihood of someone spending that amount on him? I think he needs another season of development at least, for that kind of money.

Big spending clubs to whom 60mil is small change.

1 hour ago, Gwlad all over said:

Big spending clubs to whom 60mil is small change.

Surly there are more valuable players to big clubs out there at £60m. I know it's not unheard of, like Gordon to Newcastle, but I just can't see it.

I don't really like that many of our players!

I would sell all of our defenders. Keane drops a clanger, but Tarkowski is just as bad and could have cost us the game yesterday if it wasn't for Mina (and Coady). Those two in particular are on big money too. I would keep Tarkowski over the rest because he doesn't seem to let mistakes bother him as much as Keane. I dont think the rest are good enough.

The right back situation makes me nervous, Patterson needs time and as well as Coleman has stepped up this season, he needs to be replaced. Mykolenko is back up at best. He is on low wages and gives his all, so I wouldnt be in a hurry to sell for what would surely be a big loss.

I like the look of Garner. Gueye probably doesnt have much sale value but he is just all over the place. Sometimes that is good, most of the time it isn't. Doucoure has done brilliantly in that role, but he needs to be replaced in the next 12 months. Onana could go on and do really well, but he would give us the funds we need to strengthen other areas. Dont forget he is on big money too. 

Iwobi and Gray are replaceable, McNeil is the one to keep. We need 4 wide players though.

I'd try and keep Dom but again he can go at the right price. Maupay and Simms need to find new homes. Cannon should be 3rd choice, I suspect Dobbins has another loan on the cards. 

The good news is we have one of the best starter/back up duo of keepers in the league.

We will definitely need to sell someone big this summer to fund the type of changes we need to the squad.

Going to be a really interesting window.

Chelsea are going to struggle. Out of Europe completely and need to get rid of players, a lot who are on big wages that only a handful of European clubs can afford. 

Tottenham are in a similar but not as bad position.

All the players Tottenham and Chelsea will be looking to move on will expect to be starters so hopefully they will end up either having to subsidise wages of those that move on or will be forced to loan loads. 

I reckon Aston Villa will splash some cash, as will Newcastle. Brighton will do more than normal, but unlikely to be as stupid as we've been.

Man Utd will buy a few no doubt. Arsenal will only buy a few and have a good young squad.

I reckon this year could be a good year to pick up a few under the radar buys. More Garner type buys is what we're after IMO.

Yes, we've got some players who are below what we expect for the club,  but I don't think we need to (or want to) replace everyone who needs replacing. Forest were very lucky IMO to stay up despite all the player change they had.

Dyche got us 1.1pts per season, over a season that is 42ish points, let's assume we could some degree of improvement somewhere - DOM being fit for example or a better backup in place and it is not crazy that we could get to 45-48 points. Nowhere near relegation.

So let's get 3-4 players in on modest wages and with the release of Mina, sale of Moise we should be fine. 

It might be another year of keeping the books straight and simply getting a better foothold in the league again. It would have been bad having final season at Goodison, it would be worse unvailing our new stadium in a lower league.

If big money comes for Onana, we have to take it. Would be lovely to keep him and watch him develop, but his fee would help a fair few addition come in.