IGNORED

Burnley (home) Carabao Cup

Boston Toffee

1 hour ago, Boston Toffee said:

Didn't see a thread so figured I'd start one. If I'm not supposed to please delete..

I would rest dcl and Tarkowski to start. I know it's important to win today but staying up is more important and need some rest. 

it is also about getting some decent game time for other players. I would like to see Beto and Danjuma starting this game.

I think from a squad moral point of view it is important to give finge players game time. This helps them be more effective when subed on or if the need to come in to the team due to injury etc.

can't help but feel DCL is still needs treating with care, so a rest on the bench for a mid week game would seem sensible at this time. same with Harrison as well. 

1 hour ago, duncanmckenzieismagic said:

I know some in here are not interested in winning trophies but we are just starting to build a bit of confidence / momentum why would anyone want to fuck with that?

Got to be as strong a starting XI as possible

Which is more important: going all out to beat Burnley in this meaningless cup, or securing 3 points at the weekend? If we're docked 12 points, as rumoured, every single point in the league is precious. Do we want to risk a 75m plus financial hit with relegation to win a trophy that generates virtually no revenue and carries no cachet? Let Burnley tire their players for the weekend league match, not us. Priorities, priorities. Brighton have no midweek cup tie, so they'll be playing us in three days' time with a fully rested team.

If we have to risk players who are just starting to gel, at least rest our spine: Pickford, Branthwaite, Onana, and DC-L. McNeil and Harrison were clearly off their best against WHam, so give them some rest as well.

1 hour ago, Cornish Steve said:

Which is more important: going all out to beat Burnley in this meaningless cup, or securing 3 points at the weekend? If we're docked 12 points, as rumoured, every single point in the league is precious. Do we want to risk a 75m plus financial hit with relegation to win a trophy that generates virtually no revenue and carries no cachet? Let Burnley tire their players for the weekend league match, not us. Priorities, priorities. Brighton have no midweek cup tie, so they'll be playing us in three days' time with a fully rested team.

If we have to risk players who are just starting to gel, at least rest our spine: Pickford, Branthwaite, Onana, and DC-L. McNeil and Harrison were clearly off their best against WHam, so give them some rest as well.

This argument comes up every season and so I get that you are not interested in winning trophies and are happy for us to just exist as a meaningless club. 

That is why I am coming from the angle of building momentum and confidence so that we can take that into the league games

Winning breads both

Resting one or two who have niggles I can understand but if he rests the entire spine of the side ( he won’t) then he should be sacked tonight

This argument comes up every season and so I get that you are not interested in winning trophies and are happy for us to just exist as a meaningless club. 

That is why I am coming from the angle of building momentum and confidence so that we can take that into the league games

Winning breads both

Resting one or two who have niggles I can understand but if he rests the entire spine of the side ( he won’t) then he should be sacked tonight

What matters is momentum in the league, and we're building that. It would be foolish to tire our players ahead of a game for which the Brighton team is fully rested. I'd hate to see us be relegated at the end of the year because we dropped points against Brighton. We should plan as if we need 52 points to be safe this year. Everything else is secondary.

49 minutes ago, Cornish Steve said:

What matters is momentum in the league, and we're building that. It would be foolish to tire our players ahead of a game for which the Brighton team is fully rested. I'd hate to see us be relegated at the end of the year because we dropped points against Brighton. We should plan as if we need 52 points to be safe this year. Everything else is secondary.

A demoralising defeat to Burnley does not build momentum or confidence it destroys it whereas winning and booking a place in the quarter finals does

Winning gets the crowd onside and eases the pressure on the players 

Winning against Brighton and winning against Burnley (both at home) should not be mutually exclusive

What is the point of the club if it’s not to try and win every game we play?

The motto is Nil Sats Nisi Optimum not fucking Nil Satis Nisi Optional!

imagine the boost it would give the players for the rest of the season if we actually won the competition and qualified for Europe in February

for the money being paid for Beto and Danjuma fees and wages wise, they should be more that capable of putting in a performance in a cup completion or in the Prem when needed, this is a squad of players not just a starting 11.  It's not like suggesting we fill the team with youth or a second string team it's about utilising the squad of player.  

beto and danjuma should be 'hungery' to get on the pitch and show there worth. if they don't then you sub on DCL. 30mins plenty for DCL if wanting him to play 90mins one the coming weekend. 

A demoralising defeat to Burnley does not build momentum or confidence it destroys it whereas winning and booking a place in the quarter finals does

Winning gets the crowd onside and eases the pressure on the players 

Winning against Brighton and winning against Burnley (both at home) should not be mutually exclusive

What is the point of the club if it’s not to try and win every game we play?

The motto is Nil Sats Nisi Optimum not fucking Nil Satis Nisi Optional!

imagine the boost it would give the players for the rest of the season if we actually won the competition and qualified for Europe in February

Exactly it gives the players something that they have a chance of succeeding in and keeps their season positive and alive, momentum is created by winning all games league and cup momentum isn’t just created by winning league game’s. Winning cup games creates a buzz and a bit of excitement for supporters and players in a season that we know we have no chance of getting into Europe and at best finish mid table cup runs or not. 

Not sure how Young has gotten back in the team as I think Patto needs as many minutes as he can get right now.

Happy Danjuma is getting a start & hopefully he is in that #10 role. Still would have liked to see Beto start but as long as DCL is fully fit he will be second fiddle.

Dyche just rates Young and backs him, sadly. And the opposite for Patterson.

Wonder why Doucoure doesn’t play, he’s been Dyche’s ace although he’s been quite poor the last two games.  Perhaps he fancies Danjuma against the Burnley defence, if they are still players that he knows.

Just now, badaids said:

Dyche just rates Young and backs him, sadly. And the opposite for Patterson.

Wonder why Doucoure doesn’t play, he’s been Dyche’s ace although he’s been quite poor the last two games.  Perhaps he fancies Danjuma against the Burnley defence, if they are still players that he knows.

To his credit, Doucs gets through a mountain of work each game so he could be resting him to monitor that. On the other note, he was shocking against West Ham & this may help to get him going again similar to Onana.